Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #31
Blusaber
Enthusiast
Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505,JBL,Sony PRS350,Nook Color,Kindle 3
Thank you Ken

You have given me some Tips I needed I was close with what I was trying but not quite there yet.

EDIT

***THANK YOU KEN*****

Following your instructions in your ps I formatted my card moved only the one folder and file and it worked perfect ADE saw the card as the JBL put a book on and wonders of wonders she opened

You made my weekend!!!

Gary

Last edited by Blusaber; 08-15-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Blusaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:12 AM   #32
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Ken I just want to point out that this works ok if you are just starting out with ADE. and you are planning on having ADE as your library manager.

I do not use ADE-PC for reading my e-books. I do need it though for purchases and Library loaners and therefore DRM enabled e-book transfers to the eReader via ADE and USB cable to the device.

My purchases usually get fixed(No DRM) after the download from the retailer. Then I file them as per my own system to the SD card. The Library books get directed to the Internal Memory under ADE's control.

I tried your setup (Not that it was wrong) but the minute I connected that SD card to ADE via the card reader/writer - ADE started taking inventory of all my e-books on the card. These e-books start getting logged within ADE-PC as well as within the "manifest.xlm" file located in the "Digital Editions" folder on the card. The "manifest.xml" file keeps track of the status of all ePub ebooks loaded on the card. ADE also started copying the tree structure with the ebook covers within the "Annotations" and "Thumbnails" folders on the card as well.

I have a wide variety of formats on my 8 gig card and file them using a Directory tree structure of my own. The main image resides on my PC harddrive and is "Echoed" to the SD card via Synctoy.

As I do not need ADE to copy non DRM-ePub files to the sd card there is no need for Adobe to be moved to my card. I do fix the purchased files and as for the Library files as they are minimum in numbers I allow them to reside in Internal memory and upload them via USB cable. I find that for one or two DRM books this is not a big deal. Everything else is on my SD card which I manage with SyncToy (which again I have to thank you for pointing this free product out - it works great). As SD card changes are just maintenance I find connecting via the USB(1.1) fast enough. Any major reorg is done via card reader/writer.

FYI...

The main point I wanted to mention is that I was taken by surprise when ADE-PC started taking an inventory of the card when ADE files are present on it. I should have know better. As it turned out - I reverted back to my way and used my back-up copies of the ADE folders to restore it to the way it was before the move.

If the ADE files are not present on the card the card is isolated from ADE-PC.

Of course the same is not true with Calibre which will recognize both device and mounted card, but then again DRM is not involved.

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #33
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
jlg432;

All good points and worth keeping in mind when working with your files.

Two GB SD Cards are relatively cheap and you could use one for your
temporary ADE library SD Card/Device and not have your 8BG setup as
an .adobe-digital-editions device.

(The ADE temp SD Card having no clock, itself, would not know your
library loans had expired until you plugged the card back into your PC
and let ADE back at it. Not everyone reads at the same pace, and the
JBL doesn't care.)

I, don't use ADE, myself. I haven't borrowed any ebooks from the library.
I remove all DRM from my purchases, ADE or otherwise.

I also, like you, create my own file structure for my "Library SD" card and
use a folder on a PC hard drive to maintain the master copy that I sync to
to the Library SD card(s). I use Calibre for most conversions but make no
use of it's book management functions.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-16-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:15 AM   #34
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
While most of the time, loading books directly to the card was working fine, I had a few that were giving me fits. They would not show up in the reader unless I did a reset and reboot or they would show up but wouldn't load (when I would check the card on my computer, the file would be missing). I tried reformatting the card to FAT16 and the problems went away. The only problem I'm having is with a downloaded PDF manual for my camera's external flash. I renamed it before putting it on the card but, for some quare reason, it insists on showing the original name on the JBL. The manual opens just fine (I have to read it in landscape or squint a lot) so, for now, I'm going to give it a rest. I opened the file in my computer on Acrobat and saved it as the new filename instead of just renaming the file and I'm going to try putting that on the card later, but for now, I'm pooped and going to bed.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:23 AM   #35
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I couldn't sleep because the problem kept nagging at me so I got up and tried the new file. Didn't work. So I tried making a new PDF from the downloaded one by using a virtual printer and saving it with the new name. That worked...sorta. JBL still puts "Setup" on the first line of the menu entry, only now it's followed by the correct name on a second line. Strange. At least I have the correct name now so methinks I will just live with it. Now, back to bed and do a bit of reading before going to sleep...using my TV, not the JBL (I'm tired of fooling with tempermental thing for a while!).
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #36
smg927
Enthusiast
smg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Jetbook
Quote:
The only problem I'm having is with a downloaded PDF manual for my camera's external flash. I renamed it before putting it on the card but, for some quare reason, it insists on showing the original name on the JBL.
On some levels of Jetbook firmware, the meta data of PDF files is displayed in the book list, not the name of the file. (On level 35m, the meta data is no longer displayed.)

I don't know what the JBL does with PDF meta data, but that may be the situation you have. If so, you can use a PDF meta data editor to change it.
smg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #37
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
They would not show up in the reader unless I did a reset and reboot

Every time I load new books onto my card I have to reset by taking the batteries out and reinserting, before the books will show up. Is that normal?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #38
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
They would not show up in the reader unless I did a reset and reboot

Every time I load new books onto my card I have to reset by taking the batteries out and reinserting, before the books will show up. Is that normal?
Make sure the eReader is on and on the home screen when you remove and when you insert the SD card.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #39
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Oh, I never did it that way. Thanks!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #40
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Oh, I never did it that way. Thanks!
Neither did I and I always had to reset the thing (I use the teeny, recessed reset button on the back). I'll try leaving it on and on the "home" screen next time out.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 09-05-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #41
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Neither did I and I always had to reset the thing (I use the teeny, recessed reset button on the back). I'll try leaving it on and on the "home" screen next time out.
Ok, I tried leaving it on while on the home screen, pulled the card, added a "book" I wanted to test to one of the folders on the card, then went into Books from the the home screen. Neither of the two folders (nor their files) that had been there before showed up on the menu. I had to back out to the home screen, shut it down, punch the little reset button, then reboot the JBL. Only then did the two folders show back up on the menu. The test book worked just fine so it wasn't a factor.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #42
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg927 View Post
On some levels of Jetbook firmware, the meta data of PDF files is displayed in the book list, not the name of the file. (On level 35m, the meta data is no longer displayed.)

I don't know what the JBL does with PDF meta data, but that may be the situation you have. If so, you can use a PDF meta data editor to change it.
Yup, that was what it was. I went to Preferences in Adobe Acrobat, deleted the title and author, and closed the file. After that, the filename showed up as the book title. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #43
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Ok, I tried leaving it on while on the home screen, pulled the card, added a "book" I wanted to test to one of the folders on the card, then went into Books from the the home screen. Neither of the two folders (nor their files) that had been there before showed up on the menu. I had to back out to the home screen, shut it down, punch the little reset button, then reboot the JBL. Only then did the two folders show back up on the menu. The test book worked just fine so it wasn't a factor.
All you really needed to do is to remove the SD card and reinsert it.

A better place to be when inserting or removing the SD card is the first
page of the "eBooks" menu. Then you can see if there are just the folders
and files you may have on the JBL's internal memory or if those for the SD
card are there. Also; when the SD card is recognized there will be an "SD"
in the bottom right corner of the eBook menu pages.

If there is an "SD" there when there is no SD card in the JBL, then it hasn't refreshed.
If there is NO "SD" there when there is an SD card in the JBL, then it hasn't refreshed.

If you have one of those conditions reinsert the SD card, to force it to refresh.
(Either that or go to the Main Menu and select the "Books" option, to force it to refresh.)

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-07-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:53 AM   #44
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
All you really needed to do is to remove the SD card and reinsert it.

A better place to be when inserting or removing the SD card is the first
page of the "eBooks" menu. Then you can see if there are just the folders
and files you may have on the JBL's internal memory or if those for the SD
card are there. Also; when the SD card is recognized there will be an "SD"
in the bottom right corner of the eBook menu pages.

If there is an "SD" there when there is no SD card in the JBL, then it hasn't refreshed.
If there is NO "SD" there when there is an SD card in the JBL, then it hasn't refreshed.

If you have one of those conditions reinsert the SD card, to force it to refresh.
(Either that or go to the Main Menu and select the "Books" option, to force it to refresh.)

Luck;
Ken
Then we must have different versions because none of that ever worked on mine. The only thing that has yet to work for me has been to do a reset.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:56 AM   #45
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Hmm... Perhaps it is that I have a "version" that is working properly?

You should not need to use the Reset button just to have the JBL recognize changes in
the files on your SD card or a change of SD card. There is a warning message that pops
up when you add or remove an SD card in the JBL It says "Updating the list, please do
not remove the SD card." You should be seeing that warning every time you insert or
remove the SD card. It is this "updating" of the files listed that you are trying to have
take place. Unless you are doing something to interrupt or disturb the process, it should
be accomplishing what you want. If it is not there is something wrong with your JBL.

Luck;
Ken