Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #16
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I don't understand the deDRM comment - once I import my books into Calibre, they are DRM free.
Calibre doesn't strip the DRM on import, unless you are using mobidedrm as a Calibre plugin.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:17 PM   #17
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
yup....from my reading the update 2.5.x changes the DRM scheme slightly and none of the old tools work anymore. So, easy fix, don't update. I can live w/o collections if the trade off is device independence.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 12:05 AM   #18
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
What he's referring to, I think, are posts that the new update somehow either changed the Kindle's PID or does something else to make the mobidedrm scripts not work anymore.
Some also mentioned the possibility of a combination of device PID and book-specific PID.

At any rate, it (de-drm) apparently no longer works with the update.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #19
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Post iPad and a Kindle 2.

post removed

Last edited by demoric; 06-08-2010 at 12:14 AM. Reason: weird site behaivor
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:32 AM   #20
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
At any rate, it (de-drm) apparently no longer works with the update.
Hm. I've actually been much more free about purchasing books recently, knowing that I could magically empower them to follow me into the future. This news sort of changes that dynamic, doesn't it?

(And off goes the wireless again until I learn some more about all this...)
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 01:50 AM   #21
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
What he's referring to, I think, are posts that the new update somehow either changed the Kindle's PID or does something else to make the mobidedrm scripts not work anymore.
Could be the case. But that just means it'll be broken yet again.

However, I *must* state that there *IS NO* 2.5/2.5.2 update. I have this on the greatest authority possible - *MY* K2s haven't yet updated!!!!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:15 AM   #22
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And it breaks the current de-drm method for Kindle ebooks. Sigh...
Sorry my comment was a bit cryptic. I thought it was obvious from context, but obviously not.

OK, first off, this change only affects people with a Kindle. People only using Kindle for Windows or Kindle for iPod/iPhone are unaffected (at least, until those readers get updated too)

With pre-2.5 firmware, books for a physical Kindle were encoded using a PID specific to that Kindle. This PID could be derived from the Kindle's serial number.

With 2.5 firmware, that PID no longer is the PID used to encode books downloaded for that Kindle - whether downloaded directly to the Kindle, or downloaded to a computer for transfer via USB.

It is not yet known whether the method for deriving the PID from the Kindle serial number has changed, or whether there's some further book-specific manipulation of the PID, or some other change or combination of changes.

Books downloaded before your specific Kindle got the 2.5 update are unaffected. Books downloaded after your specific Kindle got the 2.5 are affected, no matter when bought. Books that have already been downloaded and DRM stripped are obviously not affected.

It might be that some clever person will work out what's changed and the DRM removal software might be updated. Or it might not.

It's certainly going to cut down on my ebook purchases. I'm not buying any DRMed books where I can't removed the DRM. It is still possible with Kindle books by downloading to Kindle for Windows, but it's more hassle.

I hope this fuller explanation answers people's questions about the DRM change with the Kindle 2.5(.2) firmware, without stepping over the lines for de-drm info at Mobileread.

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-08-2010 at 09:50 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:07 AM   #23
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
That means I've finished purchasing Amazon Kindle eBooks.

I do not distribute my purchased eBooks, but I deDRM them to store them and can be read in any of my devices. Apart from law, I think nobody can force me to read a book only in one device. What happens if my Kindle gets broken and I decide to purchase other device (not a Kindle)? What happens if Amazon discontinues the Kindles?

Of course, I will continue purchasing Amazon eBooks if there is published a way to deDRM the new ebooks.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #24
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK, first off, this change only affects people with a Kindle.
I would think Kindle 1 folks are unaffected for now, as they have no software update.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:09 AM   #25
bwaldron
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Of course, I will continue purchasing Amazon eBooks if there is published a way to deDRM the new ebooks.
The books can still be deDRM'd (utils that work with Kindle for PC), just not with the existing mobidedrm script.

Last edited by bwaldron; 06-08-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #26
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks, Paul for that information. It's disappointing to say the least but I'm hopeful that a solution will appear at some point.
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #27
gibletpie
Enthusiast
gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura One
I'm sure there'll be some way around it eventually. OTOH, if they made it so you couldn't de-DRM Kindle files ever again, I think I'd probably just ditch the Kindle and buy a Kobo. I really don't need all this 3G business anyway.
gibletpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #28
Lawcheehung
Junior Kindler
Lawcheehung began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Sorry new here...but what exactly is the purpose of de-DRMing the books in the first place? For the purpose of free use on other e-readers besides the Kindle?
Lawcheehung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawcheehung View Post
Sorry new here...but what exactly is the purpose of de-DRMing the books in the first place? For the purpose of free use on other e-readers besides the Kindle?
To be sure that you have access to the ebooks in the future. To be able to convert the ebooks to different formats.

These are the two most important reasons. I also like to be able to tweak the text, or extract the text for comparison with other editions.

There have been several instances where ebook suppliers or retailers have stopped supplying certain ebooks, leading to a loss of access for customers.

Amazon dropped their DRMed PDF ebooks a few years ago. OverDrive pulled out of the Fictionwise ebook store quite recently.

With a DRMed ebook you can never be certain you'll still have access when your current device breaks, even if a replacement reader is available of the same kind from the same company — the publisher might have withdrawn the ebook from sale in the meantime.

I haven't bought an ebook with non-removeable DRM since 2003 or so. And luckily, even the ones I bought before then I've been able to de-drm.

I'm certainly not going to buy any ebooks now that I can't de-drm.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #30
jrb1999
jrb1999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile Kindle update-finally

Quote:
Could be - my Kindle updated today from 2.3.3 to 2.5.2
Thank goodness, the update is finally coming!
jrb1999 is offline   Reply With Quote