Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-20-2006, 04:49 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Demand for downloads of digital magazines surges

Last year we predicted that Zinio was to become the leading provider of digital magazines. Our prediction seems to be right on track as the company is now reporting impressive growth rates:
  • More than 55 million digital magazines were delivered since 2002
  • 154% year-over-year growth in monthly transactions for Jan-Aug 2006
  • 166% year-over-year growth in monthly transactions including single copy sales
  • 170% growth in monthly visitors since 2005
  • Delivery of more than 10.9 million magazines in Jan-Aug 2006
  • Delivery of more than 55 million magazines since 2002
  • 3.4 million registered users.

Related: Extracting content from Zinio Reader
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:06 AM   #2
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Now if we could only get them for our Sony Reader's..
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2006, 09:17 AM   #3
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
I think I contacted Zinio about Iliad support. As I recall, I was either ignored or told to go away, don't bother us (well, they may have been more diplomatic but the result was the same). A lot of the free industry journals I get use Zinio.

Which begs the question, if the magazines I get are the freebies, why do they DRM the magazines out the wazoo, particularly when you can go to the website and capture the same information as html or download articles as a .pdf?
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:28 AM   #4
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader
Which begs the question, if the magazines I get are the freebies, why do they DRM the magazines out the wazoo, particularly when you can go to the website and capture the same information as html or download articles as a .pdf?
My guess is they'll still trying to protect the distribution model and the packaging of the content. You're right in that you can go to the website and get the same material, but it's not so often that the website content is packaged in the same way that the printed (e-printed) book is packaged.

That's my guess anyway...
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:39 AM   #5
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
What I find frustrating about Zinio is their software. They announced their upgrade over a year ago and fixed none of the limitations. There should be an analogue zoom option, not just 1/3 or 1/2 page. Other controls are not user friendly and they have a habit of announcing something and then covering it up as though they never mentioned it. CPanel has fantastic controls yet a corporate entity can't come up with anything better. Their DRM can be a pain also.

That said, I use them. Hard to find Western magazines in China.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert