Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
triss
triss began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook One
Bebook One "2010 Edition" = Hanlin V3+?

Today I received my first e-reader, a bebook one (antiquated according to some, has just what I want and not more according to me ). I bought it for 249€, from a reseller (not from bebook directly). On the box was indicated that this is the 2010 version, with faster page turning (I can't compare since this is my first reader, but seems pretty fast to me), 16 grey scale levels, and usb 2... which specs are much like the Hanlin V3+ (the old bebook being based on the V3).

Looks like they silently introduced the "V3+" for the Bebook One, because on the bebook site the old specs are still listed, and the price I payed is also the same price as vor the "old" One...

I thought this might be interesting news for some.... A bit weird though that they do not indicate this on their own website somewhere.
triss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It does sound like the V3+.

Note that this means you won't be able to update the firmware until Jinke releases a V3+ version.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #3
triss
triss began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook One
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It does sound like the V3+.

Note that this means you won't be able to update the firmware until Jinke releases a V3+ version.
The about screen says it has firmware version V2.02NL.100308 which is indeed more recent then the latest version available on the website of bebook.

I'm not going to try if the website version is compatible, since it probably isn't and I don't have a way of restoring the version that is currently on my device. Featurewise/stabilitywise I'm not missing much so far anyway: enough zoom levels, search, "hyperlink" support, ...

Calibre detects it as a Bebook Mini, btw

lsusb -v output:

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0492:8813 Samsung SemiConductor, Inc.
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x0492 Samsung SemiConductor, Inc.
idProduct 0x8813
bcdDevice 3.19
iManufacturer 1 Linux 2.6.21.5-cfs-v19 with s3c-udc
iProduct 2 File-backed Storage Gadget
iSerial 3 3238204E6F
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 32
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 4 Self-powered
bmAttributes 0xc0
Self Powered
MaxPower 2mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 8 Mass Storage
bInterfaceSubClass 6 SCSI
bInterfaceProtocol 80 Bulk (Zip)
iInterface 5 Mass Storage
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x82 EP 2 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x01 EP 1 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 1
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 8 Mass Storage
bInterfaceSubClass 6 SCSI
bInterfaceProtocol 80 Bulk (Zip)
iInterface 5 Mass Storage
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x82 EP 2 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x01 EP 1 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 1
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
bLength 10
bDescriptorType 6
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
bNumConfigurations 1

Last edited by triss; 04-08-2010 at 01:53 AM.
triss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:38 AM   #4
mistermouse
mistermouse began at the beginning.

Device: none - YET
Please tell me this is true.
I've been fumbling around unable to decide between the Bebook Mini and Amazon Kindle for nearly a month. The Mini was by far the best interfacing, and quickest, of the ereaders I could try first-hand in Australia, with the One disappointing beside it...but if the One's getting a makeover I think we might have a winner!
mistermouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you considered the Neo? I know it's a little more expensive than the One and the Mini, but personally I think it's well worth paying the extra for.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
I don't know Harry. A Bebook One with Mini specs sounds like a very good reader to me. Not everyone wants the bells and whistles of the Neo and I must say, the battery life is very disappointing, especially when compared to my Bebook One and Mini.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
I don't know Harry. A Bebook One with Mini specs sounds like a very good reader to me. Not everyone wants the bells and whistles of the Neo and I must say, the battery life is very disappointing, especially when compared to my Bebook One and Mini.
Sure, I absolutely appreciate that and, as you say, the Mini is a very good device.

Battery life on the Neo is fine - all you have to do is switch it off, and it boots sufficiently quickly that for me, that's absolutely no problem. Perhaps some people lead such hectic lives that having to wait 15s is an intolerable problem for them .
Old 04-09-2010, 02:33 AM   #8
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Battery life on the Neo is fine - all you have to do is switch it off, and it boots sufficiently quickly that for me, that's absolutely no problem.
And hide the stylus and don't forget turn off WIFI. Then it's fine.
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:56 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What do you mean by "hide the stylus"?
Old 04-09-2010, 04:47 AM   #10
Fith
Enthusiast
Fith began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60
He means 'put it back in the slot to switch off the wacom tablet'
Fith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:10 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It doesn't switch it off. I use my Neo with my iRex "Professional Stylus" and keep the Neo's stylus in its slot. The Wacom screen uses essentially zero power except when it's actually being used.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:27 AM   #12
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
I do switch it off as I agree that boot up is quick enough. Battery life is still appalling though. I watched it drop two bars in half an hour and a third in under the hour the other day. Anyway, off topic.
We had a confirmation on the BeBook forum that new BeBook One's are indeed the V3+ models and they are not compatible with existing firmwares. If your new BeBook One says 2010 edition on the box then it is a V3+.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:32 AM   #13
mistermouse
mistermouse began at the beginning.

Device: none - YET
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sure, I absolutely appreciate that and, as you say, the Mini is a very good device.

Battery life on the Neo is fine - all you have to do is switch it off, and it boots sufficiently quickly that for me, that's absolutely no problem.
Hi Harry,
When I went to Dymocks in Sydney to try the various models, the Neo had crashed and refused to be turned off or function in any way. The salesperson said they'd have to go reset it and I said don't bother, if it's buggy I'm out.

The One/Mini aren't the prettiest things, but what I like is that they worked really intuitively, have great format support and last forever. Going to Africa, so battery life is a potential major factor.

Last edited by mistermouse; 04-09-2010 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Realised some bits were too OT
mistermouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermouse View Post
Please tell me this is true.
I've been fumbling around unable to decide between the Bebook Mini and Amazon Kindle for nearly a month. The Mini was by far the best interfacing, and quickest, of the ereaders I could try first-hand in Australia, with the One disappointing beside it...but if the One's getting a makeover I think we might have a winner!
The difference between the mini and the new plus is:

Mini vs plus
* 8 level vs. 16 level gray - You might not even notice this.
* 32M SDRAM vs 64 M - increased performance on some tasks and perhaps handling of bigger tasks like image processing.
* mini Thumb wheel vs. two volume buttons. - The mini is the clear leader here.
* 5" vs. 6" display - but you knew that already
* Astak pocket pro equals mini but has 6 color choices.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote