Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
MissLes
MissLes began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Question on downloading

Hi all! I'm a bit new to this so please excuse me if I'm not posting in the right area. About to take the plunge and purchase a Kindle 2 - super excited! My question is....I live in the US and I'm about to travel abroad. If I take my Kindle, can I download books while I'm overseas that are not available here in the US? For instance, all of the Roald Dahl books (a childhood fave) are only available overseas but I'd love to have them.

Any insight would be great. Thanks.
MissLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The selection of books available is determined only by the country of residence you have specified in your Kindle account settings. So when you travel overseas you wont automatically be granted access to books available in other countries.

However you can change your country of residence at any time. So you can just specify a country with access to the books you want, download them and then change your country back to the US.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Plus, as I understand it, there is a $2.00 additional charge when traveling outside the country to purchase books.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Plus, as I understand it, there is a $2.00 additional charge when traveling outside the country to purchase books.
If your Kindle is registered in the US this applies only if you download them over Whispernet. If you transfer them via USB you are charged the regular US price with no surcharge.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
MissLes
MissLes began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
One more q

Hmm, ok, all good information and so speedy. Love. it. If I change the country of origin and then switch back after downloading, will those books remain on the Kindle? Or will amazon remove?
MissLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert