Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
ShadowAuthor
Enthusiast
ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 & iPhone
Readers with page numbers?

Hey,

I have a K2 that has been awesome so far except for the lack of page number display. One of the reasons I decided to get an e-reader in the first place was for reference purposes while writing papers. It's not a deal-breaker, but not having page numbers just seems like a no-brainer that I can't believe they overlooked.

The good news is that my wife now wants her own K2, and I was thinking I could give her this one and I could get a different e-reader. So my question is, are there any US e-readers on the market that display the page number as you're reading?

Thanks!
ShadowAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
The Sony's do, and with the new ePub format the page number doesn't change when you zoom (which actually drives me nuts, but sounds like it would be helpful for you).

I'm not sure about the others. Hopefully some other members will chime in.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I think the lack of page numbers has to do with the ebook format. Mobipocket books, like those read by the kindle, don't have page numbers. Probably most of the other formats do. Certainly epub ebooks do (and pdf and lrf), so any reader supporting epub would be fine.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:10 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The benefit of ePub page numbers, as displayed by devices using the Adobe Digital Editions software, is that they are consistent across devices, and don't change with the user's choice of font, text size, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:11 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
I think the lack of page numbers has to do with the ebook format. Mobipocket books, like those read by the kindle, don't have page numbers.
That's a feature of the Kindle; most implementations of the Mobi reader do have page numbers.
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I don't like page numbers in an ereader, unless it's to show relative position in a book. Those page numbers on epub books on my Mini are highly annoying and one of the reasons I don't use epub.

Especially as a page number can span several "pages", depending on the size of your reader and fonts.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
But keep in mind the page numbers in epub, while consistent for all devices, etc. Are different than the page numbers in the paper book (which also vary depending on the version and edition etc.).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a feature of the Kindle; most implementations of the Mobi reader do have page numbers.
Well, I only know about the Cybook Gen3 (mobipocket firmware) really, and it doesn't show any page numbers either.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Well, I only know about the Cybook Gen3 (mobipocket firmware) really, and it doesn't show any page numbers either.
My Mini does show page numbers in mobipocket books.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
ShadowAuthor
Enthusiast
ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry, I'm taking a 3-week winter intercession class in Japanese and it is kicking my backside hardcore.

So basically from what I'm hearing, is that e-readers are all but useless in an academic environment when attempting to use for reference material in a bibliography. Just ducky.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAuthor View Post
So basically from what I'm hearing, is that e-readers are all but useless in an academic environment when attempting to use for reference material in a bibliography. Just ducky.
Why do you say that?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do you say that?

Yeah, it shouldn't be any different than print. You still have to specify the version/edition/etc. in a bibliography.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #13
ShadowAuthor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yeah, it shouldn't be any different than print. You still have to specify the version/edition/etc. in a bibliography.
Good point, I forgot about that. This class is puréeing my brain.

But the Kindle would still be a problem in that even if I specify the version, I can't give a page number per se, correct?
Old 01-14-2010, 03:54 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAuthor View Post
Good point, I forgot about that. This class is puréeing my brain.

But the Kindle would still be a problem in that even if I specify the version, I can't give a page number per se, correct?
The Kindle shows a "Location" on the status bar. This is equivalent to a page number - it's actually a count of 128-character units in the book.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:23 AM   #15
RedHeadPeter
Enthusiast
RedHeadPeter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedHeadPeter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedHeadPeter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Bebook
I would be surprised if any of the academic referencing systems (Harvard etc) have caught up with e-readers yet. The standard format is author, title, page number, publisher etc etc. So knowing the page number on which another person can find that information is important. If it comes out as a different page number, or non-existent, on different formats and different readers you have a problem.
Actually I think e-readers are useless for academic research - you need to flick backwards and forwards between text, index, notes all the time in ways which are easy with the physical book or journal but clumsy on current e-readers (at least on my Bebook)
RedHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote