Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 06-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
joedevon
Enthusiast
joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Using PHP to convert PDFs

I'm a new PRS 505 owner. I'd love to do a good job converting PDFs to a suitable format.

I notice there are PDF functions in PHP. I haven't had a chance to study the options yet, but if it allows you to read the file and manipulate it properly, perhaps we can write some code together on this thread to serve as a solution for various problems?

For example, I have technical PDFs where tabbing is important. Calibre transfers the files by stripping the tabs which makes code hard to read. I'd like to turn a tab into 4 spaces instead. Don't know of a tool that will do it...

If this effort proves successful, and I get some extra time, I may put up a little site with a front end so non-technical people can select the options they desire right on the web and get the file they want.

Does this sound feasible and interesting to people?
joedevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Certainly investigating PDF functions in PHP is worthwhile, and what you describe sounds like a great resource, but why would you use calibre to convert technical PDFs? Surely, you'd be better off using something like PDFLRF or SoPDF for such documents, no? (No worries about losing your tabs there!)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
joedevon
Enthusiast
joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Certainly investigating PDF functions in PHP is worthwhile, and what you describe sounds like a great resource, but why would you use calibre to convert technical PDFs?
Because I didn't know what I was doing
Finally getting some good results from soPDF except for the bookmark thing...
I have 30 days w/ the trial version to add bookmarks w/ Adobe but hopefully will find a better solution. Would be crazy to spend more on Acrobat than the Sony Reader just for bookmarks!

Quote:
Surely, you'd be better off using something like PDFLRF or SoPDF for such documents, no? (No worries about losing your tabs there!)
Definitely
joedevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well the source code for SoPDF is available, though I don't think it's in a programming language I know. Perhaps someone who did could look into the possibility of preserving bookmarks. Or perhaps the basic algorithm could be ported to php and tweaked. It's worth checking out.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Book Designer" does the best job of converting PDFs of anything I've tried. Calibre is an excellent tool, to be sure, but PDF conversion is not one of its strengths.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
Jill74
Banned
Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505
I'll read more about this Calibre so that I can do experiments on converting Pdf files.
Jill74 is offline   Reply With Quote