Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
ePub to HTML, PDF

Hi everyone,

I have three questions. I've browsed and searched through the forums and couldn't find any answers and I apologize if I missed them if they are available.

My first question is,
Is there a way to convert ePUB to HTML or to a PDF file? Seems to be plenty of ways to go the other direction.. converting things to epub but haven't been able to see anything that reverses that process.

My second question is,

Is there a way to read DRMed epub files on the Apple Itouch? For non-DRMed epub files I simply transfer to my Itouch using Calibre and Stanza (which I learned to do using these insightful forums) but I'm not sure if that option works for DRMed epub files.

My third question is,
Is there anyway to edit a ePUB file and save it again as an ePUB file? I've been reading a novel and I noticed some errors, for example, names of cities not being capitalized. I was wondering if there is anyway for me to make changes in the text and re-save it as I would do in a word document or text file.

I'm still a novice in all of this and I hope my questions don't seem too silly.

Please move this to the epub thread if it's more relevant there.

Thanks!

Last edited by MerLock; 07-07-2009 at 10:14 PM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
1st: Try calibre 0.6 beta, which has more output options than earlier versions. I'm not sure single-file HTML is one of its options though. You may only need an exploded ePub (see 3rd below), which typically has multiple XHTML files.

2nd: No. But in the US (at least) stripping DRM from ebooks you bought for personal use has never been challenged in court and is probably legal. See Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented.

3rd: An ePub is a ZIP file. So rename it .zip (if necessary) and unzip. Edit the text (typically in .xml or .html or .xhtml files). It may be ok to zip the result again and rename it to .epub. It is safer to import the .opf file into Calibre and explicitly convert to ePub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
3rd: An ePub is a ZIP file. So rename it .zip (if necessary) and unzip. Edit the text (typically in .xml or .html or .xhtml files). It may be ok to zip the result again and rename it to .epub. It is safer to import the .opf file into Calibre and explicitly convert to ePub.
Thanks for your response but I'm still a bit confused about your answer to my 3rd question. I renamed the file to .zip and see a bunch of .html files in one of the folders that contain the text of the novel, however it opens with my browser and I'm unable to change any of the text. Can you provide a few more steps as to what I need to do next?

Can you also explain how I would go about doing that and explaining what you mean by importing the .opf file into Calibre? Do I just import the .opf file and nothing else into Calibre?
Old 07-08-2009, 01:11 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
I renamed the file to .zip and see a bunch of .html files in one of the folders that contain the text of the novel, however it opens with my browser and I'm unable to change any of the text. Can you provide a few more steps as to what I need to do next?
Use a HTML-aware editor. If you right mouse click on the HTML file and select "Open With" there will probably be several options already on your (Windows) PC. I think Open Office and Word will both work for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Do I just import the .opf file and nothing else into Calibre?
Yes. The .opf file contains a list of all the HTML files needed to build the ebook (and their order). So Calibre will build the entire ebook from the .opf file.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:29 AM   #5
MerLock
Evangelist

Thank you so much, wallcraft.
Advert
Old 07-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader

I have not used them, but the ePub Forum includes stickies for AZARDI and eCub which might be usable for native ePub editing.