Notices

Old 06-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
earthq
Enthusiast
earthq began at the beginning.

Device: none
Feature Requests, Ideas, Issues

Hi,

First of all, thanks for such a good and free program. I was pretty upset since www.myEbookLibrary.co.uk thing went away without a trail, as was usable but cannot update ebooks info. Yes, I use Windows bits

Now I found Calibre, and looks impressive. However, I miss a few things I would like to share just in case any developer would like to think about or even implement:

- Thumbnails View. Caroussel view is very nice, but having a thumbnails view of ebook covers can speedup browsing/looking for ebooks through their covers. If it could even have differente

- Folder structure names. I already read why you devs think the folder structure the program uses is efficient, but ... why the program ends up my folders and file names with things like (1), (2) ...?

- Moving from one utility to the next. Up to now I was using a folder structure based on "topics" such as "Systems\Linux", "Systems\Windows", "Development\Java", "Development\MS.NET", "Science", "Fiction" ... you get the idea. Pretty much like "tags" .
And then my ebooks are stored in ZIP files (multiple formats, notes, comments) and ZIP files are named like "[ISBN] - <Title>.zip". Now to move to Calibre I have to go and unzip all the stuff, take care of the naming pattern so metadata gets right, define tags ... some days of organization. Like a home move . So if Calibre gets discontinued or I decide to move my library to another program (hopefully none of them ), or if the sqlite db is lost or corrupted, my filenames and folder structures do not know anything about my "categories", ISBNs, etc. So two points here:
  • What is the recovery scenario for lost db?
  • Would it make sense to let the user decide the pattern they like, or be at least able to do a a save-file-to-disk feature (kind of "export" from Calibre structure to user-chosen filenames) that allows filenames to get generated based on fields, such as users deciding to save their files as "[ISBN] - Title.pdf" while others using "(TAG) Year - Author -Title [ISBN].pdf", etc. Pretty much like my favourite MP3 tagger (mp3tag.de) does with this features: http://help.mp3tag.de/en/main_converter.html.

Thanks for reading
earthq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the id at the end of folder names is for uniqueness, you could have multiple entries with the same title by mistake and if the folders were not unique, it would cause havoc.

You can backup the entire contents of the database, including all metadata by doing a save to disk operation
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert