Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-30-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Kindle is Amazon's top selling gadget for 2008

Amazon has released its "Best of 2008" Lists.

The Kindle was Amazon.com's top selling gadget for 2008, beating out the likes of the Nintendo DS, PSP, and others. The device topped every list it was eligible for, except the most positive comments category, which was topped by the Samsung 46-inch LCD high-definition TV.

This is based on unit sales (not revenue), and no actual sales numbers were released.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
If it wasn't their top selling gadget, anyone else think it would still be their top selling gadget?

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've still yet to see a Kindle in the wild. Granted I'm not that well-traveled, but if it was that big of a seller, I'd expect to see them now and again.

Sounds like a bit of PR spin to me.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm not suprised. They are the only one who sell them, whereas other electronic gadgets can be acquired at many other places.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
One reason unit sales are high is that there is only one model of the Kindle. The current bestsellers in Electronics have Kindle number one, but three variants of the iPod touch in the top 12. The latest bestsellers in Laptop Computers have Acer Aspire One in white at #2, in blue as #4 and in black as #6.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xianfox View Post
I've still yet to see a Kindle in the wild. Granted I'm not that well-traveled, but if it was that big of a seller, I'd expect to see them now and again.

Unless someone were looking at me rather closely, they probably wouldn't notice my Kindle. If I'm sitting in a waiting room or on a plane, it's propped up in my lap, largely covered by my hands. It's in the case so unless you were looking over my shoulder, you probably wouldn't have seen the white cover (and now it's skinned so it's even darker). I believe my husband has seen a few Kindles and Sony Readers on the train to and from work, though. I think people who either travel a lot or commute on transit are more likely to have them.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Until Amazon gives the numbers, bestselling is irrelevant since as people pointed out you can cheat by listing other electronics by color and such and so on, plus Amazon has no exclusivity in selling Kindles.

I think Sony sold a bunch of PRS at Borders and Target and whatever retailer they use in the UK, while for Wii and such they are everywhere...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
chester43
Banned
chester43 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Amazon has released its "Best of 2008" Lists. A Dailytech article has a good overview: This is based on unit sales (not revenue), but no actual sales numbers were released.
My wife got me one for Christmas, and I love it!
chester43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:26 AM   #9
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I see folks with Kindles on public transportation fairly often (in Philadelphia). Mostly on the commuter trains, though once I was waiting for the subway to go to the ballpark and another woman waiting was reading a Kindle. One of my co-workers has purchased two--one for herself and one for her husband. She bought her husband's after seeing my Cybook (I recommended the Kindle for his needs--he travels a lot for business and she thought he would like it for downloading the Wall Street Journal). I told her about the Oprah sale last month and she quickly ordered one for herself before they went on backorder.

I guess my point is that people really are buying them, though of course we knew that...
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:21 PM   #10
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
Until Amazon gives the numbers, bestselling is irrelevant since as people pointed out you can cheat by listing other electronics by color and such and so on, plus Amazon has no exclusivity in selling Kindles.
Thank you. The cynic in me says that, at this point, Amazon could say anything.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:36 PM   #11
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
One reason unit sales are high is that there is only one model of the Kindle. The current bestsellers in Electronics have Kindle number one, but three variants of the iPod touch in the top 12. The latest bestsellers in Laptop Computers have Acer Aspire One in white at #2, in blue as #4 and in black as #6.
That makes more sense then. I figured they were just saying it was, because you know there are people who would buy it just because it was the top gadget, as well as it helps promote it. However, if they're subdividing by color, then it makes it more plausible to me that it could be number one. Especially if the same thing is there three times in the top ten, then the Kindle probably wouldn't even make the list if you did it the other way.

I've never seen a Kindle in real life either...or any other person with any type of e-reader. Then again I was living in a 50,000 person town in Oregon and now I'm in South Korea, so that probably helps. I get some good stares on the subway here when I whip it out though, especially since we can't communicate and all.
MidknytOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:31 PM   #12
imagitronics
Enthusiast
imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX / Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
If it wasn't their top selling gadget, anyone else think it would still be their top selling gadget?

-MJ
That's exactly what I thought when I read that post!

To be fair, I think it's a good thing for ebooks in general even if Amazon is generating false hype around the device. If major news media outlets pick up the story that the Kindle was the best selling gadget of the year and run with it, I think a lot more people will start to take notice.

I still think public recognition is dreadfully low. My wife got me a PRS-505 for Christmas, and it was a huge hit with my coworkers who weren't even aware that such devices existed!

Tim
imagitronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:27 AM   #13
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by xianfox View Post

ive only ever seen two. both bought by me. and i take the subway every day in new york city. pass by hundreds.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:28 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Amazon has released its "Best of 2008" Lists.

The Kindle was Amazon.com's top selling gadget for 2008, beating out the likes of the Nintendo DS, PSP, and others. The device topped every list it was eligible for, except the most positive comments category, which was topped by the Samsung 46-inch LCD high-definition TV.

This is based on unit sales (not revenue), and no actual sales numbers were released.
I'm surprised, considering that it's only sold in the US. Or is this a "US only" list, as opposed to a world-wide sales list?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm surprised, considering that it's only sold in the US. Or is this a "US only" list, as opposed to a world-wide sales list?
I am not 100% but I think it's just Amazon.com top list - not including .uk,.fr,.de and let us not forget that are lots of products you cannot buy from one Amazon.** if you are in the geographical area of another, many electronics for example.

But Kindle exclusivity and listing gadgets different by color and other semi-cheating like this are the main factors.

Anyway why not list the numbers of Kindle sold? If it would be a big number, or even respectable, I think they would at least mention it.

Though listing an e-book device as top gadget bestseller is a major plus for all of us that love e-books, whatever opinion we hold of Kindle
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote