Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
DanTDavies
DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
Angry Configuration of Android App

Recently installed the Kobo app, based on the information they provide in the Play Store. However, I have found that you cannot do any of the configuration that they show in their info. I contacted their help line and they told that you need to have other apps to do the things they show in the Play Store!

Has anyone else used this app successfully, they way it is advertised? I am stunned by the lack of knowledge their help line displayed, so I hope someone here can advise. Specifically looking to change to white text on black background, and to stop the screen rotation.
DanTDavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:09 PM   #2
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
I have this app in my mobile. But I don't really use it to read books actually. I use MoonReader instead.
Just check the app, and I don't see any setting to set the font/background color and rotation neither. I think the development of the app is not finished yet.

Last edited by 344a; 10-07-2016 at 12:28 AM.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2016, 12:21 AM   #3
HarryHutton
Connoisseur
HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage, Samsung Note 10.1, Nook Simple Touch, M92
yo DanTDavies

I use it with white text on black background

Tap the centre of the screen, then the sun icon at the bottom

EDIT: And your screen orientation is in the settings icon beside it to the right

Last edited by HarryHutton; 10-07-2016 at 12:23 AM.
HarryHutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:35 AM   #4
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHutton View Post
yo DanTDavies

EDIT: And your screen orientation is in the settings icon beside it to the right
How come I don't have the bottom bar?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-10-07-12-31-24.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	152214  
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
DanTDavies
DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanTDavies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHutton View Post
yo DanTDavies

That would be lovely if it worked. That is the screenshot from the Play Store and that is my question - why don't I see that? I do not have the option of configuring background, font or rotation. Kobo Support claims that the Play Store images are wrong - so why are they on there?

If anyone knows how to make Kobo do the configuration as advertised, I would like to learn about it.
Advert
Old 10-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTDavies View Post
That would be lovely if it worked. That is the screenshot from the Play Store and that is my question - why don't I see that? I do not have the option of configuring background, font or rotation. Kobo Support claims that the Play Store images are wrong - so why are they on there?

If anyone knows how to make Kobo do the configuration as advertised, I would like to learn about it.
Odd. On my Nexus 7 HD, I get several icons on the side when I either tap the blank circle at the bottom of the screen or tap the center of the page while reading. Sun icon gives me Classic/Night/Sepia themes, Kobo styling on/off, Brightness says I need to turn off automatic brightness to use. The Aa icon gives me font style, font size and page layout, the wrench gives me various "advanced settings" including setting page orientation.

The app version reports as 6.6.16008.

Your mileage has definitely varied.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:19 PM   #7
DanTDavies

Mine reports as the same version, running on a Samsung S7. Mileage has definitely varied! I prefer Moonreader, but cannot get Analog magazine for it.

Other suggestions would be appreciated, as Kobo Help has been remarkably unhelpful and uniformed.

Dan
Old 10-08-2016, 06:17 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Mine reports as the same version, running on a Samsung S7. Mileage has definitely varied! I prefer Moonreader, but cannot get Analog magazine for it.

Other suggestions would be appreciated, as Kobo Help has been remarkably unhelpful and uniformed.
I wonder if Samsung's TouchWiz interface is causing your issue? One of my co-workers had to disable TouchWiz to get his phablet to work with a couple of applications.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #9
DanTDavies

I might try to disable the TouchWiz interface, if I cannot find any other solution, but it seems like an unusual step to have to get a reader to work properly. I just wish that I did not have to use this buggy app!
Old 10-09-2016, 04:18 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I might try to disable the TouchWiz interface, if I cannot find any other solution, but it seems like an unusual step to have to get a reader to work properly. I just wish that I did not have to use this buggy app!
Not sure if I would call the app buggy when it seems to work for other people. Referring to Samsung's implementation of Android and their proprietary add-ons as being buggy might be equally appropriate. I did check with a co-worker who has a Sony Xperia Z5 (Marshmallow 6.0.1) and he sees the menus.

I've attached some screenshots from my Nexus 7 HD to show what the menus look like on it.

Though I'm not overly fond of how the app stores sideloaded epubs, my limited use has not run into any of what I would consider as showstopper bugs in this version
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_1.png
Views:	133
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	152248   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2.png
Views:	118
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	152249   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_3.png
Views:	153
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	152250   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_4.png
Views:	136
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	152251   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_5.png
Views:	148
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	152252  

Last edited by DNSB; 10-09-2016 at 04:31 AM. Reason: added the "in this version" disclaimer
Old 10-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #11
DanTDavies

It is interesting that the app works with some, but not all machines. Considering that Samsung is a major manufacturer, you would think they would make greater effort to have the app compatible.

I will have to see if there is some other way of getting my beloved Analog - it was so much easier when I could just download epubs!

Dan
Old 10-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've taken the liberty of passing this thread onto a Kobo developer.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:41 AM   #13
DanTDavies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I've taken the liberty of passing this thread onto a Kobo developer.
Thanks! I have had no luck with getting response from them.

Dan
Old 10-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #14
Cosimo
Groupie
Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
App works fine on LG.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
Cosimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:51 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you tried the suggestion of disabling TouchWiz?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote