Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
Freidenker
Freidenker began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
PRS-505 totally freezed fixed!

Hi, I spent two days fighting with my reader and reading lots of threads trying to fix my reader which was completely freezed in the start up screen. I am in caracas so i couldnt even return it so i was pretty pissed off, specially because this is my second unit ( the first one died on me after a couple of weeks i got it and had to return it) since this forum was helpfull though i didnt find the specific solution i want to collaborate with my experience.

One morning i found the reader on the start up screen, i couldnt soft or hard reset it, and it didnt show on three different computers. looking here i decided to charge it overnight (actually im not that patient i tried resetting it like a hundred times then i quit and charge it overnight).

Next morning was the same but i noticed that if i pressed reset then turn it on it would try to function then it would die again. did this like ten times but nothing.

I had no books in the unit they were all in the mmc card (may be the problem) still the first thing i did was to remove the card.

Then i realized that if i resetted the unit then turn it on then plug it in the computer it would show in my pc.

So i formatted everything. the reader and the mmc card, i used fast format in fat 32. I thought that would destroy the software and lost the reader for ever but i was desperate.

When I unplugged.... IT WORKED!! awesome i heard angels singing.

I inmediately put back 100 books in rtf in the mmc card and internal memory (270mb)

So far it is still working, i still dont know what went wrong in the first place maybe because i didnt use the library to upload the books in the mmc card. maybe the mmc card is not fully suported (it had worked well for 5 months). Maybe a virus (my pc shows a trojan once in a while). Could have also been that i ran completely out of battery and that messed up the software (the bar was full though). Anyway now it is working and i hope this comment helps someone who has the same problem.

I didnt try the firmware update or the unbricking metod because the instruccions in the wiki page shows steps for a 500 and mine is a 505 by the way.

pd. I have like 120 rtf books in spanish (well formatted with autor and title) mostly history if any spanish speaking people want to exchange out there.
Freidenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
Freidenker

After uploading books i found a virus in the mmc card, could this have been the problem?
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
possibly....I had a goofy ebook file lock my reader up once
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
It might have been the virus, but it was probably just the internal memory not formatted properly or something silly like that .

I dont have any spanish ebooks i could trade, sorry.

Btw i live in Maturin
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Could have been the virus causing the file system to be corrupted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
readerya
readerya began at the beginning.

How to format sony reader , fast format 32?

any utility or from Disk Management in windows xp ?
readerya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
mlastra
mlastra began at the beginning.

Hi Freidenker,
I have a question about your problem when did your reader stop trying to Start up?
Mine is frozen starting up and reset it does not make any difference. I have it now charging with the PC and after resetting it shows the red light charging but it keeps saying "Starting up". The PC does not show the reader as connected. Any clue?

Thanks
mlastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:01 AM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlastra View Post
Hi Freidenker,
I have a question about your problem when did your reader stop trying to Start up?
Mine is frozen starting up and reset it does not make any difference. I have it now charging with the PC and after resetting it shows the red light charging but it keeps saying "Starting up". The PC does not show the reader as connected. Any clue?

Thanks
Try an overnight mains recharge, perhaps?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:18 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Try an overnight mains recharge, perhaps?
Looks like you may need to try that overnight charge using an AC adapter. You can get a PSP AC adapter (not one that plugs ito the USB port) and use that to give it a charge.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:16 AM   #10
Freidenker

Hello. Just checked my emails, let me try to remember, when it froze in the start up screen at first it wouldnt show up in the pc either. I think what i did (after the full recharge with an ac adapter, the ones used in diskmans and other stuff) was to push the reset button a lot of times cause i saw the orange light going on when i pushed it (at this point i was looking for any sort of reaction).

Finally i think i reseted it while pluged to the pc and it showed in windows. I thought it was fixed but when i unpluged it, it went to the start up screen all over again. I repeated the whole process until it showed in my pc again, and this time I used the full format as if it were a pen-drive. when i unpluged it, it worked!

This was some sort of a miracle, there was no reasoning behind my trying to fix it. Also, i have two computers at home, and one in my job, and i think i used the three of them, and only my work´s one worked. I don´t really know if this has something to do, but right now i have a bad pen drive and it shows in some pc but not in others, so... anyway... good luck.

Last edited by Freidenker; 07-25-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:06 AM   #11
mlastra
mlastra began at the beginning.

Thanks all for the reply the problem was fixed after some hours charging through the USB wire connected to a PC.

Almost for sure everybody already knows but do NOT try to charge the reader with a power charger connected through the USB connector. It will only cause problems.
mlastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
picky-picasso
picky-picasso began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Everybody but me!!

No I didn't know that!! Thanks. I had been trying that for a while - and now I know where my problems started!

pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlastra View Post
Thanks all for the reply the problem was fixed after some hours charging through the USB wire connected to a PC.

Almost for sure everybody already knows but do NOT try to charge the reader with a power charger connected through the USB connector. It will only cause problems.
picky-picasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Please don't use a usb charger connected to the mains. It will drain your battery.
Very flat batteries can take an extremely long time to charge via usb and computer. In fact, the computer may go to sleep or hibernate and nothing will happen.

A long mains charge is the first thing to try when there are battery problems. A PSP charger, 5v, will work fine.

Here are some threads about the uselessness of trying to use usb+mains:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56170
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50169
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #14
picky-picasso
picky-picasso began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks again, immensely!

To everyone else, apparently the formatting is probably NOT necessary - if you've been charging the PRS-505 with USB charger instead of a computer. Plug it in to the computer. If it is dead, it will power up soon and you will see the drives. leave it in this state all night. (I don't know how long a charge takes since there is no "charging" indicator.

I did the above - after realizing from this and another thread that a faulty book didn't crash it, rather a dead battery was my problem - and it is back in good order, with a full battery.

pp
picky-picasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Please don't use a usb charger connected to the mains. It will drain your battery.
Very flat batteries can take an extremely long time to charge via usb and computer. In fact, the computer may go to sleep or hibernate and nothing will happen.

A long mains charge is the first thing to try when there are battery problems. A PSP charger, 5v, will work fine.

Here are some threads about the uselessness of trying to use usb+mains:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56170
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50169
Actually, you can use a USB charger connected to the mains. You just need the correct cable coming from the USB charger.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=40