Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #496
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The Kobo's seem to have another issue besides widows & orphans where you sometimes get only a partially full screen (sometimes only a line or two per screen) for multiple screen turns.
Is this happening on Aura? I am still considering ordering it, but it never happened on any of my Kindles, so if it does happen on Aura, I don't think there would be a point in having it
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #497
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansem_93 View Post
Hi at all
I'm an italian user. I want buy a new enook reader, and give my kindle NT to my mother.
Actually i'm undecided between paperwhite and aura HD. So i have some question about the kobo:
1)I read about the touch the it's less precise than paperwhite. It's true? someone have a problem with the touch?
2)Can I read the manga in jpg/png?or the screen it's too little?
3)I saw a lot of videoreview, but I don't have clear if for change page i must swipe from left to right, or if i can simply tap the left side?
4) when i put it in stand by, on the display appear a random image like kindle, or the cover of the book?

5)someone can post a photo with 0 margin,10% of space line,and font size 9/10?
1) I have not tried the PW but I'm not having issues with the Aura, page turn is flawless, trickier to select text, but if you only need a word's definition/translation the long press works fine.
2) this I don't know
3) you can tap the right side to go > or the left side to go <, or swipe wherever you want. But you can also change in the preference so if you want to tap on the left margin to go > you can do it.
4) book cover or nothing with just the "sleeping" text.
5) i'm not sure how to do it, I don't see % or x/x when I change the fonts/margins/etc, just a bar I can adjust..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I thought I wouldn't have a use for that - but now that it is there, I actually use it quite a bit.
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Actually the kobo epub features is the one thing I like best especially the time left to read the whole book... well ETTFB (Estimated Time To Finish Book) Its nice because it shows how long its going to take based on your total reading habits.... a fast reader the ETTFB will be shorter..., a slow reader the ETTFB will longer.
regards
Jack
I've been trying the kepubs features all day and I have to say that YES I like that all those time options
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #498
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Is this happening on Aura? I am still considering ordering it, but it never happened on any of my Kindles, so if it does happen on Aura, I don't think there would be a point in having it
There are three end-of-page spacing issues:
1) widows/orphan defaults to non-zero
2) long paragraph bug
3) random last sentence of a chapter on the next page bug

I don't believe any of them have been fixed on any Kobo firmware to date.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #499
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
It's happened to me, but it's not something that happens all of the time. It's happened in three books, out of 38 read on the device so far, and only once or twice per book.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #500
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It's happened to me, but it's not something that happens all of the time. It's happened in three books, out of 38 read on the device so far, and only once or twice per book.
The circumstances in which it occurs with my other ADE readers is where the book contains a very long paragraph - longer than the screen. What seems to happen is that ADE sometimes seems to get confused about where it should break the paragraph, and breaks it halfway down the screen rather than at the bottom. It's not a common occurrence, but it happens relatively routinely.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #501
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The circumstances in which it occurs with my other ADE readers is where the book contains a very long paragraph - longer than the screen. What seems to happen is that ADE sometimes seems to get confused about where it should break the paragraph, and breaks it halfway down the screen rather than at the bottom. It's not a common occurrence, but it happens relatively routinely.
I get that too (the halfway down the page deal) and yes that happens fairly often, but what I'm referring to (and didn't describe the best?) is I'll get a couple of consecutive screens with only one to four lines of text and then the book returns to "normal". It may be an RMSDK (ADE) issue too, I can't recall if it happened on my last non-Kindle device that was used a lot, but that device also used an older RMSDK (Sony 505).
Old 07-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #502
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I get that too (the halfway down the page deal) and yes that happens fairly often, but what I'm referring to (and didn't describe the best?) is I'll get a couple of consecutive screens with only one to four lines of text and then the book returns to "normal". It may be an RMSDK (ADE) issue too, I can't recall if it happened on my last non-Kindle device that was used a lot, but that device also used an older RMSDK (Sony 505).
Thanks for explaining it. No, I haven't seen that on my other readers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #503
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Does it only happen at the end of chapters? I posted an example of this here. I've never seen it (or any other of these spacing issues) on my Nook STR or Sony T1.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #504
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks a lot Harry! I read a lot of nonfiction with long paragraphs, so I guess I should stick with non-ADE readers, or rather should remain faithful to Kindles.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #505
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Does it only happen at the end of chapters? I posted an example of this here. I've never seen it (or any other of these spacing issues) on my Nook STR or Sony T1.
You know, I can't recall now if it was the last few pages of a chapter or not (it does present like the one you posted). It very well could have been.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #506
Ansem_93
Zealot
Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by glos View Post
1) I have not tried the PW but I'm not having issues with the Aura, page turn is flawless, trickier to select text, but if you only need a word's definition/translation the long press works fine.
2) this I don't know
3) you can tap the right side to go > or the left side to go <, or swipe wherever you want. But you can also change in the preference so if you want to tap on the left margin to go > you can do it.
4) book cover or nothing with just the "sleeping" text.
5) i'm not sure how to do it, I don't see % or x/x when I change the fonts/margins/etc, just a bar I can adjust..
1) thanks a lot, i don't need to take note, only sometime select a word. About that, there is the dictionary english-"other language"? (in my case italian)
2) ok nothing, i'll try by myself if i can
3)fantastic, i hate the idea of swipe!
4) great, actually i hate the random image of the kindle, i want the cover of my book :/
5)i write some % and x/x for example,i only want to see how much text i can see with the normal font size and no border.

Sadly i can easily try this kobo, so i must ask a lot of things
Ansem_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #507
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Ansem:

1) no issues with page turns. Just keep in mind that an IR touchscreen uses the breaking of beams to register a touch, so keeping your finger closer to the screen can trigger a page turn. As for the precision, it can be hard to hit a link for a footnote compared to the capacitive screens.

2) manga is a pleasure at the higher resolution. I don't need to use an app to resize it anymore. Perfectly clear.

3) Tap to turn, and select your tap method in the settings (like the Kindle, equal sized left and right tap zones, reverse Kindle method)

4) It's going to be the cover of your current book, or just a sleeping Kobo face.

5) Font sizes go up to 26. Do you mean a medium size with zero margin? You'll always have the bottom margin due to the reader software.

(Edit: yay, typos and software keyboard)

Last edited by Haesslich; 07-22-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #508
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
1) thanks a lot, i don't need to take note, only sometime select a word. About that, there is the dictionary english-"other language"? (in my case italian)
4) great, actually i hate the random image of the kindle, i want the cover of my book :/
5)i write some % and x/x for example,i only want to see how much text i can see with the normal font size and no border.

as for dictionaries, I have 6 installed by default: english, deutsch-english, espanol-english, fr-en, it-en and port-en -> note that IDK if that's different selecting another language at the start of the setup, I selected English! Then there are more listed with a "+" that means, I think, that you can add them, including en-it *btw i'm italian, too*

as for the text I'd show you that but pictures with my phone are horrible, with flash and not sharp. While using plain epubs I think you have slightly more text showing, with Kepubs a bit less because they have the title of the book shown always on top. But there are so many ways you can adjust: font, size, weight, sharpness, margin, line spacing and justification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Ansem:
4) It's going to be the cover of your current book, or just a sleeping Kobo face.
no more sleeping kobo face sadly, just the "sleeping" text
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #509
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:

There is the option of Eng-Italian, Italian-Eng and also a monolingual Italian dictionary, if I recall correctly. I haven't tested out the Italian dictionaries yet. My Sony reader had a good Ita-Eng dictionary, the Collins. I hope that the Kobo's is just as good.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #510
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
5) Font sizes go up to 26. Do you mean a medium size with zero margin? You'll always have the bottom margin due to the reader software.
Actually fonts go up to 58. There are 24 choices across the slider. They full list of sizes is: 12, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 28, 32, 36, 40, 44, 46, 48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58. And if you are willing to edit the config file, you can use the missing numbers.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote