Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

All new Fires are SO and you cannot opt out of SOs

Here is what Amazon states about the new Fires and SOs. I found this on the Amazon Support site in a FAQ: The page is here.

Quote:
Q: Will it be possible to buy a version of the new devices without Special Offers? Can I remove Special Offers at a later date?
A: We are only offering these devices with Special Offers enabled. By delivering these offers to your Kindle Fire, Amazon is able to sell it for a lower price. Special Offers cannot be removed from the Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Fire HD 8.9", and Kindle Paperwhite.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
This morning's Tech News Today (Twit.tv) reported that they contacted Amazon about opting out of the Special Offers and were told that info would be posted "soon" on how to opt out.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I've heard both ways, but expect that it won't be possible for a while if at all. $299 is insanely cheap for a 1920x1200 panel.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I've heard both ways, but expect that it won't be possible for a while if at all. $299 is insanely cheap for a 1920x1200 panel.
I paid a little over $1,000 for my 13" MacBook Pro and it only has a 1280x800 screen... #applefail The FAOTD Splashtop Remote Desktop is sure going to come in handy now.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The other thing to remember is that it won't be long before they're both rooted and ROMed - and once you're running a custom ROM you can kiss the ads goodbye.
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Update 2: We've gotten in touch with Amazon ourselves, and they say that there's been a mix-up in support -- there won't be any opt-out choice. Sorry, folks. If you don't like ads, you'll have to hope there's a change of heart between now and launch.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/07/a...w-kindle-fire/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
The other thing to remember is that it won't be long before they're both rooted and ROMed - and once you're running a custom ROM you can kiss the ads goodbye.
And it now looks like that will be the only option.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #8
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Here is what Amazon states about the new Fires and SOs. I found this on the Amazon Support site in a FAQ: The page is here.
That FAQ still incorrectly includes the Paper White, as mentioned in your quote. On the purchase page for a Paper White, it provides an opt-out option for an extra $20USD. The Fire models do not provide that opt-out though, so rooting will be more popular than ever on those models.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:42 AM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
How are you supposed to use the 4G if you're rooted/flashed to another ROM I wonder? It wouldn't be registered to Amazon anymore...
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
That FAQ still incorrectly includes the Paper White, as mentioned in your quote. On the purchase page for a Paper White, it provides an opt-out option for an extra $20USD. The Fire models do not provide that opt-out though, so rooting will be more popular than ever on those models.
No it doesn't. It has a KPW SO and a KPW without SO. Technically speaking that is a different purchase option not an "Opt Out Option." Any "Opt Out Option" if it ever exists will be listed on the Manage Your Kindle page. You can not wildly assume that just because you can purchase it with or without SO that it will definitely have an "Opt Out Option." We won't know that for certain until they update the information on the Manage Your Kindle page. I suspect there will be an option, but we simply don't know yet.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-08-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Well I'm not surprised there was a mix up, but I think it was most likely on the part of Leo the Blowhard. I've watched/listened to that guy over the years on occasion and he really doesn't impress me at all.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I have had special offers on my kindle three since I got it and I do not really mind them one bit. In fact I see them as sort of a free screen blanker that amazon will change for me on a regular basis. Don't mind them one bit.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #13
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
How are you supposed to use the 4G if you're rooted/flashed to another ROM I wonder? It wouldn't be registered to Amazon anymore...
from what I've read, the 4G only alllows you 250 Mb a month. anyway. thats not enough to stream one movie a month. so essentally you'd be paying that premium to get email and some web browsing. Since many people can do that on their smartphones, it's not a very cost effective ootion. .Unless I'm missing something...?
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #14
Lemurion
eReader

I don't really mind the SO on the base WiFi KFire 8.9 HD - it's a lot cheaper than anything else with that resolution panel.

I wouldn't want it on the $499 4G LTE model though, that's where it annoys me. Of course this may be because I just don't see the value in the 4G add-on. I can pay $369 for 32GB Wi-Fi, or an extra $140 for a worthless 4G add-on. 4G just isn't worth it, especially with the ridiculously small data allowance.

According to this PC World article, AT&T's 4G LTE download speed averages out to 9.12mbps - which is 68.4 megabytes per minute. So the wonderful plan is good for less than four minutes per month at AT&T's average 4G LTE download rate.

Until the carriers stop cutting the data buckets every time they widen the pipes, I suggest that everyone avoid 4G like the plague it is. The idea's great; but until the carriers provide enough data to actually use 4G there really isn't any point to getting it.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Rooting and flashing a different ROM are not the same thing. You can root and keep the original software, which would allow you to remove the ad service or block it. You would still have access to the Amazon services.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote