Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-09-2011, 02:51 AM   #1
neverborn
neverborn began at the beginning.

Device: eee slate
Built in Calibre reader on touch screen

Hello. I am new to Calibre and e-books in general, and i have a question.

I own a Asus EEE Slate, which has no built in keyboard and the touch screen and pen are the primary input devices.

It runs windows 7 and i have Calibre installed along with some e-books.

I would like to use the built in Calibre reader as my primary reader. But it doesn't seem to support touch screen for page turning. i have to use the pen to hit the arrows, and that makes reading much more difficult.

Is there any kind of work around for this?
neverborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverborn View Post
I would like to use the built in Calibre reader as my primary reader. But it doesn't seem to support touch screen for page turning. i have to use the pen to hit the arrows, and that makes reading much more difficult.

Is there any kind of work around for this?
No current work around that I'm aware of but I would think that the tablet would provide some sort of pen to touch screen mapping inside its OS.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2011, 04:54 AM   #3
neverborn

yes, it sends navigation information to the program, like next and back. but calibre doesn't use that info. and there is no way to map anything other than keyboard inputs for navigation in calibre's reader.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
neverborn

If Calibre doesn't have this functionality currently, could something like a plug-in add it?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
If Calibre doesn't have this functionality currently, could something like a plug-in add it?
I doubt it. As far as I know all such input is handled via the Qt graphics toolkit library that is used by Calibre. It is likely that the issue therefore resides in that library somewhere. There have been issues in the past with specific hardware - for instance the Qt library does not like the WaCom tablet hardware. It could be worth seeing if anyone else is reporting issue with programs that use Qt on a tablet version of Windows.

Of course I could be wrong and someone else will say there is a simple solution
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
pollito pito
i warned you ...
pollito pito doesn't litterpollito pito doesn't litterpollito pito doesn't litter

Device: none
You can try a script I wrote some time ago.
See here. It is supposed to show two facing pages and
allow horizontal scrolling but probably will also do
what you need
pollito pito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
neverborn

pollito,

I installed your script and tried it out.
Its very cool and does what you talk about in your posts, but I tried taping my screen and flicking with my fingers and pen. I could not change pages or advance through the book.

It doesn't look like your add-on will help with my issue. But thank you for trying.

I would be very interested in finding a way to make this work. The built in reader is the only one i have found that handles all the book formats I have and displays the books without distortions or format issues.

If functionality for tapping the touch screen to change pages back and forth was added, this would be the only E-book tool of any kind i would need.

As it is, I am forced to use Epub Reader (a Firefox add-on) as my primary reader, as it does support touch interface. But i have found some books that do not display correctly in it.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
None of the calibre developers (as far as I know) have a touch screen device capable of running calibre, which is why there is no touch support in calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
As it is, I am forced to use Epub Reader (a Firefox add-on) as my primary reader, as it does support touch interface. But i have found some books that do not display correctly in it.
Try Adobe Digital Editions for ePub viewing.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote