Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Help me get started please!

Although a dedicated Kindle fanboy...er...fanMAN, I couldn't resist a deal:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127562

So I have a new PRS350SC.

I figure it would be a good reader to let my kids use instead of borrowing mom and dad's Kindles.

I'm pleased to see there is apparently an active hacking community for this reader...I'd love to be able to play chess on this thing.

I see the long sticky about PRS+, but I can't really get a sense about how stable or easy-to-use it is.

It appears to have been in an alpha state for years now. Is that a bad sign?

Would it be fairly painless to try it? Would my 8 year old be able to read books with it, or is it really a hobbyist-level thing?

Can the device be reverted to factory firmware after?

Are there other options I should look at?

Etc, etc, etc?

Thanks,

ApK
Sony Newbie
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I offer the following as a purely personal opinion. If any of the statements are incorrect perhaps others will jump in.

PRSPlus has been around for quite some time starting with the PRS505. This version (v1.1.3) was a fully working version, not alpha or beta. I used it on my PRS505 with no trouble at all and would happily have recommended it to others.

As the newer models have come along kartu has tried to improve the features and is trying to bring everything together with a very simple install procedure. This is what you're seeing now with v2.0.10alpha.

Very soon after the alpha was released Sony brought out an upgraded official firmware for PRS350/650 to fix a couple of bugs. Unfortunately, if you've installed this already then the PRSPlus installer won't work. I'm sure kartu will be working on this but Sony's timing was probably not helpful.

On the positive side, if you haven't upgraded to Sony's latest and you want to try PRSPlus v2.0.10alpha and it all goes pear-shaped then the recent Sony upgrade may do a good job of getting you back to a "clean official" version.

I should warn you that I haven't actually done this on my PRS650. I'm going to leave it until the beta release has been around a while.

I have put the alpha release on my PRS505 because I was fairly sure I'd be able to reverse out if things went badly wrong. I had a few installation problems but I believe I was in the minority. However it is working OK now. The PRS505 is used every day and has shown no problems.

Finally, most of the benefits I get from PRSPlus probably wouldn't be very interesting to an 8-year-old (custom epub fonts, screencaps, dictionary, custom key bindings). I don't play the games so cannot really comment.

Last edited by jackie_w; 03-31-2011 at 06:03 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I really can't help you either. I use my prs 350 for reading only. I'm not into games. And I've never hacked any of my e-readers, so once again I'm no help. I do hope someone can help you here.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
First, chastising everyone in your status for not replying instantly ain't a great way to win friends and influence people . . .

just sayin . . .

Moving past that, PRS+ is very stable for the '350, short of a few known bugs. The current known bugs are listed on the project page.

The latest OEM ROM (1.0.00.14080) will NOT allow PRS+ to flash. I haven't heard anything about when it'll be fixed.

Assuming you can, the loading process is fairly painless. Changing out the roms is at a hobbyist level, but not by much, anymore.

If you do load it, most of the new features melt into the background. The modifications are built onto the OEM rom, so out of the box it performs almost the same. the only big default differences are the clock in the bottom corner appears and the Periodicals-Collections-Notes row gets swapped out (I think the default is "folders-collections-more", but I've changed them and forgot what they were). The "More" section contains the games and calculator.

Long story short, if you feel the OEM rom is suitable for you kids, PRS+ will do nicely.

If you don't like it, the new rom can be loaded over PRS+, or you can get the old roms from the "russified" CFWs -- loading these is a bit more work, but the translated instructions do work.
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, jackie, that was helpful info!
And thanks Pomtroll, for replying....I was feeling ignored.
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
ApK

Thanks for the info Dan.

If you think my comment in my device list is 'chastising' anyone...then I reckon you ain't never been properly chastised!

ApK
Old 03-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

my point is you're wanting free answers and then making nasty comments.

Claiming you're a noob isn't an excuse.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
ApK

OM-freaking-G.

Free answers? There's a charge? "Where do I start?" "Is PRS+ stable and easy to use?" These questions bother you?

Nasty comments?
Saying I don't feel the forum is 'showing me the love' is nasty?

First I was just feeling unwelcome because of lack of response. Now you and couple others in the dev forum are acting like arrogant unwelcoming snobs.

Who needs you.

THAT's being chastised.

I'll remove the offending comment from my device list. I no longer have a desire to be associated with the Sony section here at all.

Last edited by ApK; 03-31-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
CraftyDan
Zealot

Ah, Maturity.

Shame it doesn't come with age.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
First I was just feeling unwelcome because of lack of response. ... I'll remove the offending comment from my device list. I no longer have a desire to be associated with the Sony section here at all.
Er, sometimes we just have slow days. This forum generally isn't as active as the Kindle one. Many people are also content to use the stock Sony firmware.

With different firmware, I can't help with your OP, and think it's a pity you've seemingly judged us all already, but good luck in any case with your inquiries. The 350 is a brilliant little machine.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
First I was just feeling unwelcome because of lack of response. Now you and couple others in the dev forum are acting like arrogant unwelcoming snobs.
There, there now

Of course you're welcome. This is a fantastic forum; you've just gotten off to a rocky start. Please don't make it worse by name-calling and being rude to others.

The reason people are told to RTFM (or check the wiki, etc.) is because 99.9% of noob questions have already been covered, discussed and expanded upon. Being pointed to the proper resource _is_ help.

I have PRS+ on my 950 and I think it's made of awesome.
  • It is stable. I haven't put any effort into _trying_ to break it, but I haven't stumbled across any glitches or hangs.
  • I'm not a complete idiot, so I can't verify that it's completely idiot-proof, but I've found it easy to use.
  • If your child can figure out how to read books on the Sony now, PRS+ won't change that. PRS+ has a boat load of optional customization and configuration features that are more hobbyist/enthusiast targeted than most 8 year olds would care to confront. But, my kid hacked her TV to reset the V-chip at that age, so it all depends on the kid.
  • I think the "alpha" designation is more about the automagic self-installation than the firmware. Also, with an alpha, you know that there's no staff for customer service and support, so users have to be self-reliant. It doesn't cause me any worry, but caveat emptor.
  • If you flash new Sony firmware over PRS+ it *should* give you that factory-fresh flavor. I say "should" because I haven't personally tested it and have no urge to try, since I'm very happy with PRS+ the way it is.
  • As for other options, if the only thing you want out of PRS+ is to play chess when your child isn't reading, then I'd suggest you not bother. It would be easier to spend $3 for a chess game for your Kindle http://www.amazon.com/Chess/dp/B004KACWZW/

As a side note, I updated my PRS-350 with the new Sony firmware and the russify-cation option to get PRS+ on there is a little overwhelming (or maybe I'm just lazy). If/when the automagical self-installer is updated, I'll immediately fire up Parallels to install it, without a doubt.

Last edited by trekchick; 04-01-2011 at 11:36 AM.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #12
timothyh
timothyh is on a distinguished road

Device: nook color, nook touch, sony 350
Seems like this forum is turning into the nook forums on B&N. Nasty and personal comments. Wow! Hey Crafty, are you listening. Nice picture.
timothyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
timothyh
timothyh is on a distinguished road

Device: nook color, nook touch, sony 350
Oh, just sayin . . .
timothyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #14
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyh View Post
Seems like this forum is turning into the nook forums on B&N. Nasty and personal comments. Wow! Hey Crafty, are you listening. Nice picture.
Next thing you know, people will start bumping 2-month dead threads just to pick fights-- against the person who was being the voice of reason on the thread!
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #15
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Oh, just sayin...
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote