Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
eos
eos began at the beginning.

Device: none
Central, remote library, multiple clients

Hi

I would like to server the library to multiple calibre clients. Is this already possible?

If not, how would I best synchronize my multiple calibre libraries, also, do you have any thoughts about maybe implementing this feature sometime?

Thanks in advance.
eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
This is not trivially doable. The problem is that Calibre is no multi-user system- it assumes that only one instance has access to a library at any given time. You'd have to somehow make sure that this is actually the case if you set this up.
Synchronization would also be tricky, unless you'd somehow make sure that everybody read a local copy from the central repository, made their changes and wrote back the changes to the central repository, without anyone making any changes to the repository in the mean time. The problem is that the metadata.db and the folder structure together form the database, and if a user changes the repository after another one has checked it out to make changes, you'd rapidly get inconsistencies between metadata.db and the folder structure, which would have to be resolved (there are tools available in Calibre to repair the database if this happens, but you couldn't guarantee no data loss, I think).

I don't know if multi-client support is on any todo list.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hm, this raises another question for me...

I have the Calibre Server running on a server. But, could I set it to use the same DB as I use on my client? Theoretically, this shouldn't be a problem, considering the server has read-only access, right?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
There may be issues when the server is an older version than the client is. However, from what I know the server has readonly access only, so you shouldn't damage your library, it would only potentially break the server... I'm no expert on this, though. Tread with caution if you try it.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
Stumbl
Thread Killer
Stumbl began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
while I would only run one client at a time , I have my library on a desktop, with the calibre library folder shared.

Then navigated to that folder over the network when I switched libraries, while I was working on my laptop

I can edit the library from any machine , and I'm still only working on one library at a time so there are no sync issues

caveate : network speed will affect performance

your mileage may vary
make a mess!
Stumbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert