Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
stefanv
Kindle 3 User
stefanv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
K3 Web Browser No Longer Works With Facebook Mobile

Shortly after I got my Kindle, I tried using the web browser to access Facebook. It worked okay, but wasn't great on the small screen. Since I've successfully used the mobile version of Facebook (m.facebook.com) on the much smaller screen of my "dumbphone", I thought I'd try that on my Kindle, and it worked great.

Now, a few weeks later, I've found that although the site comes up, I can no longer type anything into the fields on the page (for example, to write a post). I tried logging out, and couldn't even log back in since I couldn't type my e-mail address or password.

Typing still works fine on the full Facebook site, on other web sites (such as Google), and when annotating books, so this is strictly a problem with the m.facebook site when accessed via Kindle. I tried upgrading the firmware (originally 3.0.1, now 3.0.2) and it did not fix the problem.

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem?

Stefan
stefanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, stefanv

I don't use the site myself, but have you tried contacting Kindle CS?

Sometimes, it can just be a 'glitch' that can be reset from them.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Its an issue with the browser update in 3.0.1/3.0.2. Other people have experienced it as well on various other sites. What exactly triggers it is something regarding the content or HTML markup. No news from Amazon about when it'll get fixed.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
fidjit
fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
I think this works

Log onto Facebook using the "full" web interface.

Then use m.facebook.com after that.

Works for Gmail as well.

( I'm not a big Facebook user but did set it up when I initially got my Kindle and had the same issues ).
fidjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
kinstant
for Kindle-friendly sites
kinstant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
stefanv, I use http://touch.facebook.com and it works fine as of now. I highlight a field, then click, then start typing, and it works (for now!)
kinstant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
stefanv
Kindle 3 User
stefanv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Logging into the full Facebook site and then going to m.facebook.com gets me into the latter, but I still can't type anything (i.e. to make a post).

touch.facebook.com seems to work though. Thanks! That interface is even nicer than m.facebook.com is. Ironic, since it seems to be meant for touchscreen devices, which the Kindle isn't.

I figured it was some sort of browser bug. I tried writing a few little HTML pages with text input, and I haven't been able to come up with one that doesn't work on the Kindle, but apparently Facebook has.

Thanks again, Stefan

PS. I reported another bug to Amazon, which is that the browser refuses to follow links that have a "target" attribute. The browser complains that it doesn't support multiple windows. I don't expect them to honor the "target" tag, but I do expect them to follow the link.
stefanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
cuteseal
Enthusiast
cuteseal doesn't littercuteseal doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
I use touch.facebook.com as well, can't get on with m.facebook.com
cuteseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:50 AM   #8
h_amak
h_amak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The same happened with me (version 3.0.2) but now after updating to version 3.0.3 it is working again ... you can write the username and password for any website ( facebook, gmail,...etc.)
Old 10-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
frogjourney
frogjourney began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have kindle 2 and 3. I was not able to post a FB status on K3 until reading here. Upgrading software to 3.03 did not allow me to type in the status update field on K3. HOWEVER the Facebook touch has been working fine.
Why though when I call Kindle do they act like either there is no problem, (and when I fully describe the problem telling them K2 is fine and K3 is buggy) they default to repeating to me the web is experimental.
In short...I had to log in via "Full Facebook" I was then able to view the m.facebook but not post a status update, after reading this site I went to touch.facebook and posted a comment for a friend. Does it really need to be that difficult? AND WHY can't Kindle support be aware of the problems and fixes/ workarounds for their devices!!!
frogjourney is offline   Reply With Quote