Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Exclamation No "faces and places" in iPhoto

I only have iPhoto '08.
So I didn't even know about the "faces" or "places" features within iPhoto:
"iPad works seamlessly with Faces and Places in iPhoto for the Mac, so you can view your photos not only by date and event but also by who’s in them and where they were taken".
By accident (no idea, what I've been doing before) I've had "places" once in iPhoto on iPad yesterday. It wasn't perfect, some tags have been way off (Ireland instead of Germany). Still: Nice features.
But whatever I try, I can't get "places" to show again and never saw "faces".
A friend of mine, on her iPad (no iPhoto at all, Windows user), permanently has "places" in her iPhoto app on iPad.

Do you have "places" in iPhoto on iPad?
Do you have "faces" in iPhoto on iPad?

If so: Did you change any settings on iPad? Do you have iPhoto on Mac?

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-29-2010 at 08:15 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
you need iphoto '09.. it then tags faces and places in your photos, that metadata gets uploaded into the ipad. the ipad itself doesn't recognize the faces and places.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
you need iphoto '09.. it then tags faces and places in your photos, that metadata gets uploaded into the ipad. the ipad itself doesn't recognize the faces and places.
I thought so.
But strange enough - I've had the places option once in iPhoto on iPad, without changing a single thing.
And my friend just copies her photos via camera connection kit from iPhone to iPad. She never has the faces option, but permanently places...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I thought so.
But strange enough - I've had the places option once in iPhoto on iPad, without changing a single thing.
And my friend just copies her photos via camera connection kit from iPhone to iPad. She never has the faces option, but permanently places...
I think faces works a bit different than places. Both will appear if you sync with the latest iPhoto but places alone can appear if you sync geotagged photos through iTunes or the camera connector but will disappear if you sync with an older version of iPhoto. It's as if the iPad can handle the places by itself but it defers to the capabilities of the iPhoto it syncs with.

The iPad user guide sort of explains this but not very well:
Photos organizes collections by Albums, Events, Faces, and Places. Places uses the location information encoded within each photo, and not all photos may have this information. Events and Faces must first be configured in iPhoto or Aperture on a Mac, then synced to iPad.

Last edited by Fotoman; 05-29-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

yeah.. places and faces appear to just be smart albums based on the metadata that is encoded in photos.. iphoto/aperture can both tag with faces.. and geo data can be tagged by cameras and many apps. the ipad photos application then just organizes based on these tags, it isn't actually creating the tags themselves.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:08 AM   #6
andykeating
andykeating began at the beginning.

Check out Sort Shots, which uses the power of tags to quickly sort and organize your photos. You can rate your photos (to sort your favourites to the top quickly) and tag multiple photos at once. Tags can be organized into hierarchical categories as well; the default top level categories are People, Places, and Events
andykeating is offline   Reply With Quote