Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #76
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
If buying from Kobo and you have a choice of VPN out-locations, I've found that the cheapest prices are in Hong Kong.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #77
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
If buying from Kobo and you have a choice of VPN out-locations, I've found that the cheapest prices are in Hong Kong.
Interesting. Of course, with Kobo you don't actually have to use a proxy. Once you're logged in, it uses the shipping address in your account to determine what books/prices to show you.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #78
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
This Steampunk novel looks like an always-has-been-free teaser but since I just discovered it (thanks to Goodreads) I thought I'd pass it on:

Lady of Devices (Magnificent Devices, #1)
by Shelley Adina

Free at: Kobo, Amazon US, and probably others.
I don't know if this is any good... but it appears the first four books are bundled for $.99 under the imaginative title "Magnificent Devices 4-Book Bundle" at Amazon. It appears that as you say, the first is a teaser and each subsequent book normally $5. I've had the first one for a while but never read it so I cannot offer an opinion.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #79
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Interesting. Of course, with Kobo you don't actually have to use a proxy. Once you're logged in, it uses the shipping address in your account to determine what books/prices to show you.
Since nothing is actually shipped, a shipping address is the least of your worries.

Except for Hong Kong you have to enter a post code. And there isn't one for Hong Kong. Or actually, there is only one for Hong Kong.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #80
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Since nothing is actually shipped, a shipping address is the least of your worries.

Except for Hong Kong you have to enter a post code. And there isn't one for Hong Kong. Or actually, there is only one for Hong Kong.
Shipping address, billing address, or whatever it's called. My point is, if you set it to a Hong Kong address, then you'll be presented with books and prices available from Hong Kong, then just pay with Paypal... No proxy needed.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #81
murg
No Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Shipping address, billing address, or whatever it's called. My point is, if you set it to a Hong Kong address, then you'll be presented with books and prices available from Hong Kong, then just pay with Paypal... No proxy needed.
Ok.

I find the proxy useful for checking out the prices, so I have to keep changing my account details.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #82
itisbomb
Addict
itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 4
Each book of The King Raven Trilogy by Stephen Lawhaed is currently on sale at Amazon. You can download them for $1.99 each

Hood: The King Raven Trilogy - Book 1

http://www.amazon.com/Hood-King-Rave...tephen+lawhead

Scarlet: The King Raven Trilogy - Book 2

http://www.amazon.com/Scarlet-King-R...awhead+scarlet

Tuck: The King Raven Trilogy - Book 3

http://www.amazon.com/Tuck-King-Rave...tephen+lawhead

Below is the blurb:
For centuries, the legend of Robin Hood and his band of thieves has captivated the imagination. Now the familiar tale takes on new life as it boldly relocates the setting to the Welsh countryside and its dark forests.

Hunted like an animal by Norman invaders, Bran ap Brychan, heir to the throne of Elfael, has abandoned his father's kingdom and fled to the greenwood. There, in the primeval forest of the Welsh borders, danger surrounds him--for this woodland is a living, breathing entity with mysterious powers and secrets. Bran must find a way to make it his own if he is to survive and become King Raven.

From deep in the forest, Bran, Will Scarlet, and Friar Tuck form a daring plan for deliverance, knowing that failure means death for them all--and the dreams of the oppressed people of Wales.

This acclaimed trilogy (Hood, Scarlet, Tuck) conjures up an ancient past and holds a mirror to contemporary realities. Prepare yourself for an epic tale that dares to shatter everything you thought you knew about Robin Hood.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #83
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by itisbomb View Post
Each book of The King Raven Trilogy by Stephen Lawhaed is currently on sale at Amazon. You can download them for $1.99 each
Also, the audiobooks are available for $1.99 each as an add on. Worth it, IMO.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #84
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Green monkey, did you log in via a VPN? Sometimes they go by your IP address.
Shouldn't have to from the U.S., right?

Oh well. NBD, probably won't revisit the Black Company for a couple of years anyway.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #85
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The Forge of God by Greg Bear is $0.97 at Diesel.

There are probably other good deals at Diesel, but their sort by price filter doesn't seem to work so it is hard to find them.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #86
specficwriter
Groupie
specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specficwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro
Another good deal from Diesel:

Mistborn Trilogy

http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/item/97...Trilogy/1.html

$7.83 as of this posting.

$15.55 at amazon.

Last edited by specficwriter; 09-26-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #87
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The Forge of God by Greg Bear is $0.97 at Diesel.

There are probably other good deals at Diesel, but their sort by price filter doesn't seem to work so it is hard to find them.
Yeah, if you use Macmillan as the publisher, sort by price works, but you get lots of sampler and non-scifi stuff. If you use Tor as the publisher, sort by price is broken.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #88
PressEnter
PressEnter is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader
I just noticed most of Gary Gibson's books are heavily discounted on Amazon UK, and possibly also Amazon US and Nook. They're mostly in the space opera/hard sf category, I think - Stealing Light is £1.31, and most of the sequels are reduced too.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #89
itisbomb
Addict
itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 4
The Passage: A Novel
by Justin Cronin

is $3.99 at

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/The-Passage-A-...ds=the+passage

B&N
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/pass...1&usri=passage

Below is the blurb:

NAMED ONE OF THE TEN BEST NOVELS OF THE YEAR BY TIME AND LIBRARY JOURNAL—AND ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY The Washington Post • Esquire • U.S. News & World Report • NPR/On Point • St. Louis Post-Dispatch • BookPage

An epic and gripping tale of catastrophe and survival, The Passage is the story of Amy—abandoned by her mother at the age of six, pursued and then imprisoned by the shadowy figures behind a government experiment of apocalyptic proportions. But Special Agent Brad Wolgast, the lawman sent to track her down, is disarmed by the curiously quiet girl and risks everything to save her. As the experiment goes nightmarishly wrong, Wolgast secures her escape—but he can’t stop society’s collapse. And as Amy walks alone, across miles and decades, into a future dark with violence and despair, she is filled with the mysterious and terrifying knowledge that only she has the power to save the ruined world.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #90
Jdschi
Connoisseur
Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.

Device: Nexus 7.2, PW2
I have a question concerning the StoryBundle bundle to those that have more experience with it: I have only bought the last two, because I love this Bundle and pay what you want idea (I'm a HumbleBundle fan as well).
But after getting the last StoryBundles I noticed books that appeared there going free or being heavily discounted at Amazon afterwards.

I got the YA bundle and paid the asked $10 for it to get the 2 bonus books. Both of those books were the sequel to another book in the bundle. I figured since I got the first books anyway for just a couple of bucks more (I think I would have paid $5-6 without the bonus anyway). The YA bundle contained the first two Feyland novels (the second book as a bonus).
Now I see that the Feyland omnibus, containing all THREE novels is on sale for like €0.90 on the german Amazon (here if you're interested, the price at Amazon.com is $1.24. A good deal for three books - it is urban fantasy YA). The StoryBundle didn't even contain all three books but only two and asked $10 for the second one.

Now mind you I realize that the top reason for getting those bundles isn't because you're getting "cheap" ebooks or something but because to get to know Indie authors, helping charity, and so forth. But getting a good "deal" is part of the allure. I feel slightly... disappointed? I wouldn't even have noticed it if it were the only book this was happening to, but the same happened with the Mini Fantasy Bundle - just a couple of days later the first Draykon book was free on Amazon. Is this common? In that case, I might refrain from getting these bundles or paying the asked bonus, unless they contained books I really wanted to read anyway...

ETA because I'm too stupid to convert €-$

Last edited by Jdschi; 09-28-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Closed Thread