Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
cosmicpoodle
cosmicpoodle began at the beginning.

Device: 1.0
Help My Kobo Is Frozen

I am on vacation, after loading ALL OF MY BOOKS TO READ ON MY EREADER (Yes, I am yelling) and it has frozen on the eReading. anytime. anyplace screen.

I have tried holding the power screen down for 8 seconds, I have tried the paperclip and nothing. It is not moving.

What do I do now? Please help. I am bookless for my vacation.

Cosmicpoodle in vallarta.
cosmicpoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicpoodle View Post
I am on vacation, after loading ALL OF MY BOOKS TO READ ON MY EREADER (Yes, I am yelling) and it has frozen on the eReading. anytime. anyplace screen.

I have tried holding the power screen down for 8 seconds, I have tried the paperclip and nothing. It is not moving.

What do I do now? Please help. I am bookless for my vacation.

Cosmicpoodle in vallarta.
??? What screen is the "eReading. anytime. anyplace screen"?
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Try charging your Kobo for at least an hour and then try to shut it off.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
Try charging your Kobo for at least an hour and then try to shut it off.
I usually do that during workdays.. I have my KT plugged into my computer to charge from when I arrive to when I leave. I have encountered no problems with shutting down. And when I do I usually get the cover of the ebook I am currently reading.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
carolehughes
carolehughes began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Maybe its a disease, my kobo froze tonite, battery wasnt depleted, white screen and zero

and i guess it will be still frozen next week as ive no idea how to unfreeze it, I seem to spend my time on here reading about why I keep getting a reset message, or a set up message or some message with all the faults and problems.
carolehughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
Xennex1170
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolehughes View Post
Maybe its a disease, my kobo froze tonite, battery wasnt depleted, white screen and zero

and i guess it will be still frozen next week as ive no idea how to unfreeze it, I seem to spend my time on here reading about why I keep getting a reset message, or a set up message or some message with all the faults and problems.
Sometimes the battery gauge does not show the true charge of the device, especially if it is new. Try charging it for about 30-60 min and then turn it on or hit the reset button on the back of the device.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
carolehughes
carolehughes began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Thank you Xennex, I am trying this, this is the older model the original thats frozen not the touch, I should have made that clearer. I have it on charge now and hoping it will clear itself, I read that I should press the menu button the on/off button and the middle of the pad for page turning, I have done that, so praying something happens, at the moment its still blank.

The touch wants me to set up about 3 times out of every 7 times i turn it on, but I can deal with that by skipping set up, that happened after the download I got a few days ago.

By the way? i looked at the my kobo touch and the original kobo and I dont see any reset button on either device, it would help if i could find it lol.
carolehughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

In touch, there is small hole on back of the device - same place as home button but on opposite side.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
By the way? i looked at the my kobo touch and the original kobo and I dont see any reset button on either device, it would help if i could find it lol.
There is a small hole in the back of the Kobos that can be used to reset them. To reset a Kobo ereader unfold a paper clip and slid one end gently into the hole until you hear a click. This type of reset will reboot the ereader and will fix some situations where a Kobo is unresponsive.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolehughes View Post
There's a tiny little hole on the back side of the Kobo 1/2" up from the bottom on the left for the Original and Wifi, middle for Touch that you can stick the end of paperclip into. That won't do a factory reset (i.e. reset your Kobo back to factory settings and wipe everything) but it will reset the hardware IIRC.

Double sniped -- can't say you don't get quick response on here!
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You need a small paperclip, btw, and it can't be plastic coated. Somehow, in our house, we seem to always have big clips. I keep a small one in my Touch cover, though I have not had to use it in a very long time.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
Xennex1170
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
You need a small paperclip, btw, and it can't be plastic coated. Somehow, in our house, we seem to always have big clips. I keep a small one in my Touch cover, though I have not had to use it in a very long time.
The reset tool I use is my Palm TX stylus' plastic reset tool found by unscrewing the reverse end of the stylus. Plastic but works great.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I cut sharp tip off straight pin as my paper clips are larger than hole. You can feel the switch move having less resistance a little before it stops at end of travel if you can't hear it click.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Are you traveling at the moment? Or are you still at home? If you are at home and ONLY if are still at home and have access to your books on a computer and can reload them, you could try a hard reset. I can't really remember what buttons to push to do that so maybe someone else knows how to reset the Kobo 1 and 2? I can only remember how to on the Touch. Also if you have your books on a SD card you can just pull the SD card out and THEN do the hard reset and the books on the SD card will stay.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #15
Xennex1170
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Are you traveling at the moment? Or are you still at home? If you are at home and ONLY if are still at home and have access to your books on a computer and can reload them, you could try a hard reset. I can't really remember what buttons to push to do that so maybe someone else knows how to reset the Kobo 1 and 2? I can only remember how to on the Touch. Also if you have your books on a SD card you can just pull the SD card out and THEN do the hard reset and the books on the SD card will stay.
I don't think the SD card will get erased even if it is still stuck in the device. But it is a good idea to pop it out.. Less stuff for the device to process at one time when you reset it.