Notices

Old 06-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #106
Byron4120
Enthusiast
Byron4120 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Touch
Fonts

Originally Posted by SF&F Reader
There is only room for five additional fonts beyond the seven that are now included. They will be listed alphabetically below the standard Kobo fonts. You can put more than that on the drive, but only the first five will show up.

When you have more the pull down takes up the whole screen & shows two columns of font names! And it works.
Byron4120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #107
Charbucks
Charbucks has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I can help you revert to 1.9.4 while waiting for a fix, if you like. It requires a factory reset and not using the Kobo Desktop app, however.
I'm having this same issue, and I'd like to revert to 1.9.4. However, when I factory reset, it brings me back to 1.9 - do you know how to get just the 1.9.4 update? I'm okay with not syncing to Kobo for a while while this gets fixed...

P.S. has anyone reported this problem on any sort of official channel? Seems pretty important!
Charbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #108
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron4120 View Post
There is only room for five additional fonts beyond the seven that are now included. They will be listed alphabetically below the standard Kobo fonts. You can put more than that on the drive, but only the first five will show up.

When you have more the pull down takes up the whole screen & shows two columns of font names! And it works.
I'll 2nd Byron's comment. I have 14 currently on it and it shows in 2 columns (13 per column) so in theory at least 26 possible.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #109
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbucks View Post
I'm having this same issue, and I'd like to revert to 1.9.4. However, when I factory reset, it brings me back to 1.9 - do you know how to get just the 1.9.4 update? I'm okay with not syncing to Kobo for a while while this gets fixed...

P.S. has anyone reported this problem on any sort of official channel? Seems pretty important!
I was part of the evaluation group for the 1.9.5 firmware release and I asked about this problem since it also affects some of my epubs. I was told that they have fixed the problem so both you and I will have to be patient until the fix is implemented.

Regards,
Joe
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #110
stef70
stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
I just made a small epub file containing a simple paragraph with multiple sizes to help me evaluate fonts:

http://www.chauveau-central.net/pub/font-test.epub

The zebra image between the text pages can be used to check the impact of 'ghosting'.

The sample text is in french but it can easily be changed by editing the file Page_1.htm file (if you don't already know, an epub is nothing else than a zip file)

The current text is supposed to contain some bold, italic and oblique samples but, as indicated in some previous posts, this is broken in 1.95 :-(
stef70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #111
Mithradyr
Enthusiast
Mithradyr doesn't litterMithradyr doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I can help you revert to 1.9.4 while waiting for a fix, if you like. It requires a factory reset and not using the Kobo Desktop app, however.
Thanks very much for the offer. I think I may take you up on it in the next day or two if the Kobo devs don't push out an update right away. Hopefully they will though and I won't have to bother you
Mithradyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #112
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron4120 View Post

Hmm. Not for me. Single column, 12 fonts total. I wonder what the difference is.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #113
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
For those who want to revert to 1.9.4:

If you happen to get a copy of the firmware somewhere, after you reset your Kobo to factory settings, skip the set-up when you start, then unzip the contents of the update file into the .kobo directory of your Kobo. There should be a koboroot.tdz, manifest.md5sum, and an upgrade folder (with a couple other files in the upgrade folder.) Eject the kobo the same as you would a USB thumb drive, unplug, and the update should install itself. Good luck and have fun.

Edit: PS Technically, I haven't seen anythign in the firmware updates that gives anyone permission to copy and distribute it. While I'm sure it would be very entertaining for anyone to post a moral objection, if anyone were to engage in this wantom act of piracy, it would probably best to not flaunt it where kobo employees have no choice but see/respond.

Last edited by rashkae; 06-29-2011 at 07:33 PM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #114
Mithradyr
Enthusiast
Mithradyr doesn't litterMithradyr doesn't litter

Thanks a bunch rashkae
Mithradyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #115
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try checking the directory where Kobo Desktop stores data.

On Windows 7 it is C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition.

Sooty has a file there called kobo3-upgrade-1.9.4.zip but, since we did the upgrade to 1.9.5 via WiFi, no file for that version is there.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #116
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Try checking the directory where Kobo Desktop stores data.

On Windows 7 it is C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition.

Sooty has a file there called kobo3-upgrade-1.9.4.zip but, since we did the upgrade to 1.9.5 via WiFi, no file for that version is there.
Now I'm the one who feels stupid... here I was fetching the files off the Kobo before disconnecting it... and all along, they are right there. Thanks.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #117
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

I have a kobo3-upgrade-1.9.2.zip I could trade for that ...
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #118
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Heh, Yeah I've got 1.9.4 and 1.9.5
Old 06-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #119
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post
Heh, Yeah I've got 1.9.4 and 1.9.5
Go, Weyburn! Yah!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #120
SF&F Reader
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Go, Weyburn! Yah!
I'm a bit closer to Battleford, but sure. . .