Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
attemptress
Edge User

Off-line map viewer (free)

For those of you who may be interested, I recently discovered a great Android map app. Maps can be viewed either on-line, or can be downloaded (in a user-selected range of zoom levels) for viewing when away from internet access. Users can also add their own points of interest (and gps tracks, etc., if their devices are equipped with it). It's called Locus, and a free version (ad supported) that does all this is available both from Slideme and the Amazon app store. See also http://www.appbrain.com/app/locus-fr....android.locus, and http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...owtopic=267205.

On-line map sources include: Open Source Maps (incl. classic, cycle trnasprot, osmarender, openpiste), Google (classic, satellite, hybrid, terrain, korea), Ovi-Nokia maps, Yahoo, Bing, Open Source Maps-regional, My Topo . . . and a whole bunch of other, mostly European, map sources).

I've also tried gvSig Mini Maps . . . a potentially powerful gis software (when coupled with the desktop version), but it's waaaaaaaaaay harder to use, more limited in the sources from which users can download (although the on-line list is similar), and really difficult to convince my PE that the downloaded maps really are there.

Anyhow, enjoy

Old 04-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

Cool! Thanks for posting

Old 04-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
Dr. T
Edge User

The links are not working for me, but a quick google search did the trick. Thanks for posting!

Old 04-12-2011, 02:44 AM   #4
sjarrel
Edge User

Looks very nice, thank you. However, after a while the app closes itself, like we have with the browsers. Emine-issue, I guess.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
Leslie
Edge User

<content sigh> I looove maps..

Thank you for this!

Old 04-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
attemptress
Edge User

Also, I forot to mention, I've not had any problems with PE + Ermine + Locus v 1.4.3

You may want to check to be sure you downloaded that version of Locus. v 0.9.5 is also floating around out there.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
harv2810
Edge User

Very nice! After pairing my bluetooth GPS receiver with Bluetooth GPS Provider the EE even becomes a navigation tool.

Link to Bluetooth GPS Provider:
http://www.androidzoom.com/android_a...ml?nav=related

Also works fine with Google Maps.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv2810 View Post
Very nice! After pairing my bluetooth GPS receiver with Bluetooth GPS Provider the EE even becomes a navigation tool.

Link to Bluetooth GPS Provider:
http://www.androidzoom.com/android_a...ml?nav=related

Also works fine with Google Maps.
That's great news! What Bluetooh GPS receiver are you using?

Old 04-14-2011, 01:35 AM   #10
harv2810
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
That's great news! What Bluetooh GPS receiver are you using?
Hi Borisb!
It''s a Navibe BT GPS V10.

BTW Is the picture of your avatar taken with an EE, its looks so greenish ;-)

Old 04-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
borisb
Edge User

Indeed. I don't photograph well under low light

Old 05-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #12
netrobot
Edge User

Nice, thanks for the post! I used BlueGPS to get my GlobalSat BT-338 working with my Pocket Edge. Using Z4Root to open the unit up so I could enable "Mock locations" first.