Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
Nick_Djinn
Edge User

Improvement to touch screen keyboard. Use the ereader side.

I think it would be nice to have the option of using the E-ink side of the device for the keyboard. In fact, I initially assumed that is what you were planning because it just makes more sense...ideally you would have the option of both, and/or an input device.

There are criticisms of the LCD side being less responsive. Also, putting it on the bottom half of the page is cramped for some peoples fingers and takes up half of the LCD screen. Its clumsy and gets in the way, but it works if you need it....its nice to have as an option if you simultaneously need the ebood reader but it doesnt seem like the ideal solution.

A nice and really large keyboard on the e-reader side so that it looks like a netbook when you open it up, keyboard on the bottom and screen on the top......that would be awesome, and I really just assumed that is what you were doing to begin with.

The pop-up keyboard was probably imported from phone technology, so I know why its there, but its an inferior design for functionality. You should write an app to make the keyboard (optionally) on the ereader side and make it the default for web surfing and word processing.

When you are using it as an ereader or to take notes in class and surg the web at the same time, switch back to the LCD keyboard.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
walt526
Edge User

Couple of problems that I'd see with your suggestion:
1) You'd have to use the stylus in order to activate keys on the eInk side (the eInk screen does not register finger strokes, only those made with the stylus). Personally, I would find that unworkable.
2) Also, based on my experience with the refresh rate of the eInk screen for other functions, it would also likely be unbearably slow.

The onscreen LCD keyboard isn't too bad if you're in landscape mode, although I hate having to hunt-and-peck, so I ordered a folding keyboard to plug in whenever I need to do any sort of prolonged typing.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:30 AM   #3
Nick_Djinn
Edge User

You could always use keys that are below the pad, ones that can be disabled with a switch so that they cant be pressed down, or enabled or physically unblocked so they can be pressed down to provide a tactile sensation of a key being typed while using the same space as the reader.

Or you could have a keyboard that flips out from under the reader and lands on top of it, leaving room for handwriting on top of the keyboard.

If you use my ideas, give me some credit for them. I have evidence of them right here.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
MichaelV
Edge User

using android swype on eink screen?