Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Pocketbook owners, why use Calibre?

Please forgive me if this is a silly question, but I really am very green on these issues. From reading this forum i understand taht Pocketbook has a pretty good software to manage librearies - so what is the use of additional software like e.g. Calibre, which I see that some of you also use?
Many thanks!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:14 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
Please forgive me if this is a silly question, but I really am very green on these issues. From reading this forum i understand taht Pocketbook has a pretty good software to manage librearies - so what is the use of additional software like e.g. Calibre, which I see that some of you also use?
Many thanks!
I am one of the hardcore PocketBook users and I never heard that PocketBook supplies an application for PC that will let you:
- manage thousands of books,
- sort them any way imaginable,
- convert from almost any format to almost any format known to a man,
- export books to directories of great complexity using Regular expressions to parse book metadata,
- automatically download covers for books from the net
- automatically gather news from hundred of sources and format them for your device (using so-called recipes).

PocketBook devices do support directories, Favourites virtual folder, but to prepare content to load up into those directories I use Calibre. For a long time I was using files in all kinds of directories, but I grew tired of the fact that when I look for a book I have to look in many places.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:16 AM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
With Calibre you may

- organize your library on your home computer ("normally" you store all your books on an external drive and send only "some" to your reader)

- convert between different file formats

- change metadata, which can be useful for the organization of the files on certain devices.

Edit: Oops, Kacir was faster, sorry for double-posting.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:28 AM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks guys, as I am still waiting for my new pocketbook, I have only a vague idea of how it will actually work. And now I have downloaded both Calibre and Libris me (they are looking for beta testers, here, in case you haven't seen it), so hopefully I'll learn something useful
Old 11-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It comes down to convenience.
You don't *need* to use an external PC app to manage your DRM-free content.
You *can* do the job manually from a PC-based file manager or even directly on the reader itself without a PC.
But Calibre is faster, more flexible, and more convenient.
Leaves you more time for reading.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:56 AM   #6
alexul
Connoisseur
alexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura about

Device: PB 360, Kobo Touch
I use it for conversion.
alexul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:06 AM   #7
paola
Wizard

guys, thansk for your advice - and I have to say I have been playing around with Calibre for a week or so, and I am totally hooked. Quite handy to read books and news on my laptop, too, while I wait for my ebook to arrive...