Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-26-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
ArgentSun
ArgentSun began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Calibre for PC, 2.9/2.11 Version Mismatch

When I went to update my Calibre desktop client (64-bit on Windows 8.1, x64), the download page indicated that I would be downloading version 2.11 (as you can see on this screenshot) - which was a little weird to me, because I remember being on a higher version, but whatever, maybe the way you guys do versioning is different from what I am used to. So I downloaded 2.11, but when I ran the installer it complained that the file calibre-64bit-2.9.0.msi could not be found in my Downloads folder - which makes sense, I had calibre-64bit-2.11.0.msi in there. Renaming the file seemed to have worked fine (I can launch the Calibre client and it doesn't prompt me to update), but I wanted to bring this to your attention.
ArgentSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentSun View Post
When I went to update my Calibre desktop client (64-bit on Windows 8.1, x64), the download page indicated that I would be downloading version 2.11 (as you can see on this screenshot) - which was a little weird to me, because I remember being on a higher version, but whatever, maybe the way you guys do versioning is different from what I am used to. So I downloaded 2.11, but when I ran the installer it complained that the file calibre-64bit-2.9.0.msi could not be found in my Downloads folder - which makes sense, I had calibre-64bit-2.11.0.msi in there. Renaming the file seemed to have worked fine (I can launch the Calibre client and it doesn't prompt me to update), but I wanted to bring this to your attention.
ISP caching strikes again

Your ISP is at fault. They cache a copy for additional user requests. When THEY don't detect a size? change, they don't flush their cache and send you what YOU already had.
CALL THEM and explain why doing this for downloads at Calibre-ebook.com is an absolutely rotten practice .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
ISP caching strikes again

Your ISP is at fault. They cache a copy for additional user requests. When THEY don't detect a size? change, they don't flush their cache and send you what YOU already had.
CALL THEM and explain why doing this for downloads at Calibre-ebook.com is an absolutely rotten practice .
In this case the sizes are not the same

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	131620

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentSun View Post
So I downloaded 2.11, but when I ran the installer it complained that the file calibre-64bit-2.9.0.msi could not be found in my Downloads folder - which makes sense, I had calibre-64bit-2.11.0.msi in there. Renaming the file seemed to have worked fine (I can launch the Calibre client and it doesn't prompt me to update), but I wanted to bring this to your attention.
That sort of implies you ran the installer from the command line. If so what switches do you use and are you sure you had the right file name.

Why not run the installer via double clicking the .msi file in the downloads folder?

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
MetalOllie
MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Touch
I have the same problem. I've downloaded the file from the Calibre site, and tried from the mirrors as well, to eliminate DNS caching. I've run the update, but it still shows 2.9.0, and when reopened offers me the update to 2.11.0 again.
MetalOllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can try downloading from here: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/releases

But if the filesizes are different, it wouldn't seem to be a caching issue?

Nevertheless, the link I gave you will download over HTTPS -- your ISP cannot interfere with that. Not without installing things on our computer or making it screamingly obvious (the rather large warning about insecure connections will not even allow you to ignore).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalOllie View Post
I have the same problem. I've downloaded the file from the Calibre site, and tried from the mirrors as well, to eliminate DNS caching. I've run the update, but it still shows 2.9.0, and when reopened offers me the update to 2.11.0 again.
Here's the details of 2.9 and 2.11 as I have them

Code:
calibre-64-bit-2-9.0 Revision {8FBC8DFD-FDF6-4E81-8622-65644FD6FCD1} 
CRC32	40550977
MD5	f30269bc99c0709ca258afa070c2966b
SHA-1	60b069470f1f6d6df3bc75d6a1fea10dca4b9390

calibre-64-bit-2-11.0 Revision {6342411D-58FD-47E9-B395-5B6ED8B373BB}
CRC32	9cf6cb9d
MD5	ca2790456a05e796527bddc75f6b7066
SHA-1	804e2e95e8a17b5b7ad11c2aeec186e57c2c2a26
You can get Revision numbers in Properties->Details and I use Nirsofts Hashmyfiles for checksums

Whoa - I suspect there was a correction release for 2.11, approx 241 minutes after initial release - the current file size, revision number and hash codes are different.

Code:
calibre-64-bit-2-11.0 Revision {8C814D0B-8B4B-415F-BFB1-0523EB6E7844}
CRC32	48fb7005
MD5	ee5dbfb7261fb465067c693df5f5ac1b
SHA-1	e0e9c3f6a5dfce98ddf29645b64d0c3eca2151b9
That's where use of third segment of version number would be useful.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-27-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Add - Whoa
Old 11-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There are a couple of ways you can end up with a previous version of calibre after updating:

1) You installed both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions, and updated only one of them

2) You setup calibre to run from source and forgot to update the source (you will see an asterisk next to the version number)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:34 AM   #8
ArgentSun

@BetterRed, I did run the installer by simply double-clicking the .msi file. No reason to do it from the shell on Windows really. I don't see how my post would imply command line usage, but there.

@kovidgoyal, neither one of those scenarios apply to me. I haven't ever touched the source code, and if I've had a 32bit version, it was ages ago - and I've been able to just update the 64bit I now have at least several times in the past year.

I also just downloaded version 2.12.0 (calibre-64bit-2.12.0.msi) and ran into the same error - here is a screenshot of the error window itself, for reference. It happens as soon as the installer reaches the "Removing applications" status. Hitting cancel brings up another window, informing me that "The older version of calibre 64bit cannot be removed." Still, even after canceling that process and confirming that the older version cannot be removed, my calibre displays 2.12 (64bit) as its version number to the left of the bottom bar of the application.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:03 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That will be because you previously installed 2.9 from a location that no longer exists on your computer, so windows cannot find the old msi file. Dont ask me why microsoft designed their installer tech in such a braindead fashion. If I were you I would simply uninstall calibre, and install it fresh. Uninstalling does not touch books/settings.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:25 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@ArgentSun - I misinterpreted your prior post as saying the message came up immediately you ran the installer (msiexec.exe), didn't realise it was part way through the install.

The error message is referring to a Network Resource that is no longer available. So is the D:\Downloads folder on a network drive or has it ever been.

The installer does record, in the registry, the location where the msi was at the time of the install. But I think it is only used to display in the Source column in Programs & Features list.

I just changed it in in HKCR\Installer\Products\....\SourceList and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\....\Sour ceList for the calibre 32bit version v2.9 I had installed to X:\Rubbish.

I then installed calibre 32bit version 2.12 with no problems. Now that entry has "n;1;C:\Downloads\Software\" - btw that's a symlink that points to my %userprofile%\Downloads\Software folder.

I install everything from C:\Downloads\Software, if the install is successful I immediately move it elsewhere, such as D:\InstalledSofware\Productivity\Calibre. I have never seen that message on this computer or on the several Vista/Win7/Win8 systems I maintain.

As well as uninstalling calibre I would also run a lightweight registry cleaner like CCleaner. I'd then look for all registry entries that refer to calibre and delete them.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-28-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
MetalOllie
MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.

I think I've figured out what was causing the mismatch. When updating to version 2.12 I selected Advanced on the install, primarily to check the location of the install was set correctly; it was. However on the next screen where the options to select the components is, none of the components was selected by default.
By clicking on the top option and selecting "run all from computer", it selects the four options below.
I'm now successfully updated. Hope that helps anyone else having the same issues.

Cheers!
Old 11-29-2014, 06:44 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalOllie View Post
However on the next screen where the options to select the components is, none of the components was selected by default.
@MetalOllie - thanks for letting us know you figured out what was happening. Are you saying the Features dialogue looked like this:

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	131757

If so, that's bizarre, because that either means someone did this

Name:	Screenshot - 2014-11-30 , 10_27_15.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	131758

or something/one scribbled on the relevant registry values.

I'd never clicked in the top drop down in the features dialogue before now. I wonder if this explains ArgentSun's problem.

By default the 'Trusted Installer' (msiexec) will use the settings from previous installs. If the install on demand option was 'set' msiexec.exe may want to compare the last download with the one being installed, to see if any new features were added or existing ones removed. - hence it was asking for the 2.9.msi.

That's a better rationale for storing the location of the last used .msi file in registry than my previous theory that it was only there to populate the Source column (which isn't normally displayed) of the Programs and Features list

Network and install on demand options are frequently used in corporate environments that manage their desktop environments centrally, often in conjunction with tools such as SMS and Tivoli.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-29-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #13
MetalOllie

Hi BetterRed..

Yes, that's exactly what the menu looked like. Apologies for not having had the time to screenshot it myself, but hopefully with my info and your screenshots the problem can be resolved.

Cheers!
Old 12-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #14
ArgentSun

Sorry for the sparse replies, guys, I haven't had much time to read, so I haven't had to use Calibre frequently, so I keep forgetting to check this thread.

I'll try repairing (to maybe check those advanced options), and uninstalling/re-installing the app this weekend.