Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2018, 06:16 PM   #1
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
folders for books I don't want to be in the kobo library?

I ordered a Aura One & it is expected that it will arrive next week or so. Have downloaded the koboutilities & a kiddy pdf guide on how to install koreader as well as the kobo user guide.

Now I have some "books" (light novels) that I do not want to be part of the kobo library since they are still unfinished as the volumes continue to grow as the translators have time. On my tablets, I created folders for the light novels & add to it as new volumes occur. Moon+Reader Pro is able to access & read the files/books directly. The ipad suck big time doing something like that as the ipad is a kiddy sandbox. I also have some reference manuals/user manuals in another folder & is updated/downdated as gadgets occur/tossed.

Looking at the Kobo user manual, I do not see any references to a "files manager" or folder creations. I do not want to be depended on a "cloud" like with the ipad 2017 which I got rid of recently. The doctor's office do not have wifi for me to use nor does the dental office nor the car dealer in the waiting room. Heck no public wifi when waiting to get a hair cut. I do not have a dumb smartphone so cannot use that for reading.

Is there any 3rd party file management app for the kobo aura one to use? Or is/are reader apps locked into reading from the aura one device library? My ancient Nook 1st edition allows the user to add books to a "personal" library folder! It is strange that the Kobo user guide does not mention something about users' preferences for book locations. Yes, I am very new to Kobo & have been reading lots but not see anything about books in personal folders & its access in the "tips & tricks". I think that it is a non-issue but very important & should be addressed somewhere!
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:05 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
I ordered a Aura One & it is expected that it will arrive next week or so. Have downloaded the koboutilities & a kiddy pdf guide on how to install koreader as well as the kobo user guide.

Now I have some "books" (light novels) that I do not want to be part of the kobo library since they are still unfinished as the volumes continue to grow as the translators have time. On my tablets, I created folders for the light novels & add to it as new volumes occur. Moon+Reader Pro is able to access & read the files/books directly. The ipad suck big time doing something like that as the ipad is a kiddy sandbox. I also have some reference manuals/user manuals in another folder & is updated/downdated as gadgets occur/tossed.

Looking at the Kobo user manual, I do not see any references to a "files manager" or folder creations. I do not want to be depended on a "cloud" like with the ipad 2017 which I got rid of recently. The doctor's office do not have wifi for me to use nor does the dental office nor the car dealer in the waiting room. Heck no public wifi when waiting to get a hair cut. I do not have a dumb smartphone so cannot use that for reading.

Is there any 3rd party file management app for the kobo aura one to use? Or is/are reader apps locked into reading from the aura one device library? My ancient Nook 1st edition allows the user to add books to a "personal" library folder! It is strange that the Kobo user guide does not mention something about users' preferences for book locations. Yes, I am very new to Kobo & have been reading lots but not see anything about books in personal folders & its access in the "tips & tricks". I think that it is a non-issue but very important & should be addressed somewhere!
No cloud with sideloaded books on a Kobo. The closest to cloud support is being able to synchronize books purchased from the Kobo store (you can also download them to your PC). Once synchronized, they are on your ereader until you delete them or a library borrow expires.

File management is a non-issue with Kobo's firmware so why bother to mention it. Unless you place a book into a hidden folder (Linux so a folder with a leading '.' in the filename), it will be found and imported into the database. You can create a directory such as I use with calibre with my sideloaded books stored in subdirectories for my convenience but the ereader doesn't care. The normal method I use for locating books is by search which is speedy. You have options for displaying your library by title, author or collections, with multiple filters and sort options but once you get past a few hundred books onboard, search is just so much faster and convenient.

Koreader does allow directory/file management and often people will place their ebooks for koreader in a hidden directoy to keep Kobo's firmware from seeing them. If you use calibre, koreader will also use the calibre database files stored on your ereader for search. I tried koreader for a while but since I seldom read a PDF file on my Kobo or Tolino ereaders since my laptop and iPad are simply superior for that task.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2018, 10:34 PM   #3
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use Calibre to manage my books but not the light novels or manuals.

The "file management is a non-issue" is the same answer I received in the ipad newsgroup when I asked about a file manager like 'midnight commander'. I found the reason for that reply after receiving my ipad 2017. It does look like Kobo is much better in that regard.

The idea that 'exposed' books is seen & added into the 'database' is my concern if the database means the book library; lots more clutter. I use Calibre on windows & Calibre Companion on my tablets, and did also on the ipad. Getting the book(s) I want to read on CC is quite easy for my 670 book CC library.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:09 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
The idea that 'exposed' books is seen & added into the 'database' is my concern if the database means the book library; lots more clutter.
Yes, it means that. But David has given you the solution. When you transfer the books from the computer move them inside a directory you've created with "." as first character. You won't see them in the library... nor any other place unless you uses some additional software installed in Kobo.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:10 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I use Calibre to manage my books but not the light novels or manuals.
I suppose I'm curious about why you don't use calibre for these. Putting them on the device might be a different issue, but, part of that is whether the device is a suitable reader for those books.
Quote:
The "file management is a non-issue" is the same answer I received in the ipad newsgroup when I asked about a file manager like 'midnight commander'. I found the reason for that reply after receiving my ipad 2017. It does look like Kobo is much better in that regard.

The idea that 'exposed' books is seen & added into the 'database' is my concern if the database means the book library; lots more clutter. I use Calibre on windows & Calibre Companion on my tablets, and did also on the ipad. Getting the book(s) I want to read on CC is quite easy for my 670 book CC library.
My reaction to this is simple: Why are you putting files on these devices if you aren't going to read them?

My point is that these are dedicated reading devices. They don't do anything else. Putting any other sort of files on them mean the space is wasted. And if you put a book on them that you put in a place that can't be access, again, it is just wasted space and wasted time for the management. If you are planning to use KOReader or something else for these books, that is a different matter. If you have books you only plan to read using KOReader, then having them in a separate place that doesn't get added to the Kobo library is probably a good idea.

Looking back at your original post, why aren't you putting the in-progress light novels in the Kobo library? Is it that you are waiting for them to be finished before reading? Or something else?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2018, 04:32 PM   #6
crane3
Guru

Creating hidden directory is 'useless' as the reader app needs to be able to see & select the reading material.

Having the light novels in a separate directory is my personal preference. As I have not received my Aura One yet, I do not know what the library is capable of doing; would like to have sub-categories & such.

The light novels come in chapters & that means the library will have many chapters for each volume. Some chapters are in 'text' format before they are converted to epub. I just cannot see that my library will have each chapter & volume be listed separately in the library.

It does look like I will just use my tablets for light novels & manuals; and it also appears that the Kobo firmware puts everything that is 'readable' into the device's library.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Creating hidden directory is 'useless' as the reader app needs to be able to see & select the reading material.
So put them in separate directories for your taste. The ereader doesn't care as the books will be imported to the database.

Quote:
Having the light novels in a separate directory is my personal preference. As I have not received my Aura One yet, I do not know what the library is capable of doing; would like to have sub-categories & such.
Collections and series might help there.

Quote:
The light novels come in chapters & that means the library will have many chapters for each volume. Some chapters are in 'text' format before they are converted to epub. I just cannot see that my library will have each chapter & volume be listed separately in the library.
If I understand what you have written correctly, you have a collection of light novels which are stored in separate chapter files? Is there a reason for that structure? You might want to check a calibre plugin called EpubMerge which will let you combine multiple epub files into a single book.

Quote:
It does look like I will just use my tablets for light novels & manuals; and it also appears that the Kobo firmware puts everything that is 'readable' into the device's library.
A bit confusing. I would expect the firmware on any ereader to add any readable material into the library. Otherwise why bother to copy them to your ereader? It's not exactly the greatest mass storage device.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:51 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Your original post was a bit misleading. It sounded like you wanted to put books on the device but not have them in the library. But, it appears you were wanting to know how you could organise them in directories.
Quote:
In the directory structure, you can do just about anything you want. If the books is seen it is imported into the library. This is a flat structure, but with some filtering (Unread, Read, reading, Purchased etc) and a good search capabilites. There is also an Author list and Collections. The collections are arbitrary (you can do what you want) and books can be in multiple collections. Calibre can create the collections for you in many ways.
Quote:
Like DNSB, I assume you mean that the chapters are in separate files. That's fine, the Kobo firmware doesn't care so long as it is a valid book. Personally, I'd probably merge them into one book and add new chapters as they come along. Or find a mechanism to download them this way (FanFicFare comes to mind). Otherwise, your could use the series info to set the reading order. The Kobo firmware can handle and sort on series, so it should work.
Quote:
Yes, that is the case. But, like DNSB, I can't work out if you are seeing this as a negative or positive. And I agree with him that the ereaders are not really mass storage devices and I only put books that I want to read on them.

Last edited by davidfor; 07-17-2018 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Fixed the first paragraph in my reply to make it clearer.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:38 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Unless I've missed something in this thread (I've never used KoReader so that's entirely possible) it sounds like you're being given a viable solution. Put these light novels into a hidden directory (or directories) and install KoReader specifically for reading them.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #10
crane3
Guru

There is a mistaken notion that I only wanted the Aura One to be just a storage device for the light novels & not use it as a reader for the light-novels.

I just wanted to keep 'light novels' separate from 'real' books. As I will not be sending books from the Aura to Calibre, it may be OK to have the light-novels in the Aura library & not on Calibre but in separate(?) directories on an external sd card so long as I can get to the directory to read directly.

Got notified that my limited edition has been shipped! Already received the case for Aura from Amazon.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
There is a mistaken notion that I only wanted the Aura One to be just a storage device for the light novels & not use it as a reader for the light-novels.

I just wanted to keep 'light novels' separate from 'real' books. As I will not be sending books from the Aura to Calibre, it may be OK to have the light-novels in the Aura library & not on Calibre but in separate(?) directories on an external sd card so long as I can get to the directory to read directly.

Got notified that my limited edition has been shipped! Already received the case for Aura from Amazon.
That's what putting the light novels in hidden directories and reading with KoReader would do. Allow you to separate these from your other books (they wouldn't show up for the standard Kobo software) you could only read them on the device with KoReader. The hidden directories would be set up on the internal storage. (At least this is how I think it would work. Again, I've never used KoReader.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:41 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:

Set up collections on your Kobo. One for "real" novels, another for "light" novels. You can set up individual libraries (I prefer this for separation to using virtual libraries) in calibre to separate content. I currently have a main library, computer related, cookbooks, travel and biography and an intake library where I initially import books and then after cleaning up the metadata, covers, etc., they get copied to their final home.

BTW, since you refer to a limited edition, the Aura One does not have an external uSD card slot.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:42 PM   #13
crane3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Set up collections on your Kobo. One for "real" novels, another for "light" novels. You can set up individual libraries (I prefer this for separation to using virtual libraries) in calibre to separate content. I currently have a main library, computer related, cookbooks, travel and biography and an intake library where I initially import books and then after cleaning up the metadata, covers, etc., they get copied to their final home.

BTW, since you refer to a limited edition, the Aura One does not have an external uSD card slot.
Thanks. Your suggestions look like the way to go especially having the light novels in a separate directory is like a separate 'library'. Will have to wait & see about how collections on the Kobo works & whether there are sub-collections, categories or something similar for use as genre. I think that the android Mantano reader had sub-stuff in the way it handles collections.

as for the no external sd card....ARRRRHHHHHHHHHH

My Fire HDX 8.9 also does not have external sd card slot but it does have 64 gig.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:28 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks. Your suggestions look like the way to go especially having the light novels in a separate directory is like a separate 'library'. Will have to wait & see about how collections on the Kobo works & whether there are sub-collections, categories or something similar for use as genre. I think that the android Mantano reader had sub-stuff in the way it handles collections.
There are no sub-collections. But, you can make as many collections as you like. And books can be in multiple collections. If you do it from calibre, you just decide which attributes make sense to you for a collection.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:51 PM   #15
crane3
Guru

Is there a picture on how the library is displayed as default? I know how Calibre & Calibre Companion does it but have not come across what the Kobo library looks like.

Also where does one get "koboroot.tgz"??? I see references/links to tophat software but I am not allowed to download using Firefox & will not use Chrome since I do not like the idea of logging onto a google account just to use a browser where everything I do is archived on the google cloud (yes I did check the chrome settings & what they save on the cloud as the default).