Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What friendly book will we read in June?
Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian 7 53.85%
A Catskill Eagle by Robert B. Parker 3 23.08%
My Brilliant Friend by Elana Ferrante 5 38.46%
Absolute Friends by John Le Carré 6 46.15%
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas 8 61.54%
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman 4 30.77%
Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery 5 38.46%
The Little White Bird by J.M. Barrie 6 46.15%
The Orphan's Tale by Pam Jenoff 2 15.38%
Truth and Beauty: A Friendship by Ann Patchett 3 23.08%
Greyfriars Bobby by Eleanor Atkinson 3 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #46
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I will admit, I'm going to have to power through this somehow. I wasn't super keen on Monte Cristo, which I just finished a few weeks ago. I never would have tackled it if I had known I was just going to have to turn around and read him again.

I was hoping Librivox would have a good audio version, but no dice there. No joy with Lit2Go either. I'm still hoping I can find a good, free audio version. If anyone out there stumbles on one, I'd appreciate a link!
Hoopla and Overdrive both have several unabridged versions. Also, there are a number of readings at YouTube.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #47
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
I will admit, I'm going to have to power through this somehow. I wasn't super keen on Monte Cristo, which I just finished a few weeks ago. I never would have tackled it if I had known I was just going to have to turn around and read him again.

I was hoping Librivox would have a good audio version, but no dice there. No joy with Lit2Go either. I'm still hoping I can find a good, free audio version. If anyone out there stumbles on one, I'd appreciate a link!
I got a free version of the ebook through Amazon and then got the John Lee narrated audiobook through Whispersync for $0.99.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TP8ZZE
https://www.amazon.com/The-Three-Mus.../dp/B001UL7NXU

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 05-13-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #48
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Hoopla and Overdrive both have several unabridged versions. Also, there are a number of readings at YouTube.
Hoopla isn't an option for me and Overdrive has a long waitlist, alas. The YouTube versions seem to be the librivox version. I will investigate that option further though.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #49
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hoopla isn't an option for me and Overdrive has a long waitlist, alas. The YouTube versions seem to be the librivox version. I will investigate that option further though.
Oh, too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I got a free version of the ebook through Amazon and then got the John Lee narrated audiobook through Whispersync for $0.99.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TP8ZZE
https://www.amazon.com/The-Three-Mus.../dp/B001UL7NXU
This was going to be my next suggestion--picking up free Kindle versions. Many times the Whispersync price will apply to many of the Audible books, not just the one shown at Amazon.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #50
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I bought The Red Sphinx a while back, but I haven't read it yet, so I think I'll go with Lawrence Ellsworth's translation.
And maybe dig out my DVDs of the Richard Lester Musketeer movies from the 70s.

I haven't read Twenty Years Later so maybe I'll give that one a go also.

Last edited by BenG; 05-13-2018 at 06:05 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #51
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Was just about to "buy" the Kindle edition from Amazon (free with Prime), with the accompanying audiobook for an additional £2.18. Good job I paused for a second. The audiobook is in Slovenian! WTF????

Last edited by orlok; 05-14-2018 at 11:37 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #52
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Was just about to "buy" the Kindle edition from Amazon (free with Prime), with the accompanying audiobook for an additional £2.18. Good job I paused for a second. The audiobook is in Slovenian! WTF????
Try this combination: AmazonUK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CWR4J9M (£0.88), plus AudibleUK: https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Classic...ook/B004FUFS08, £2.49

No, not free for the book, and a shade more for the matching audiobook, but the best combination I saw. And still quite inexpensive.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #53
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Try this combination: AmazonUK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CWR4J9M (£0.88), plus AudibleUK: https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Classic...ook/B004FUFS08, £2.49

No, not free for the book, and a shade more for the matching audiobook, but the best combination I saw. And still quite inexpensive.
Thanks Charlie. I managed to sort it by going via Audible, taking the option there to buying the Kindle version first, which took me back to Amazon and a proper copy of the additional narration. As with your example, it wasn't free, but £1.40 was an acceptable price for the book.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #54
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Thanks Charlie. I managed to sort it by going via Audible, taking the option there to buying the Kindle version first, which took me back to Amazon and a proper copy of the additional narration. As with your example, it wasn't free, but £1.40 was an acceptable price for the book.
Yes, that's how I do it as well, to ensure that I get the right match. Pick the Audible version, and click back to Amazon, and then I know I have the correct matching book. Sometimes annoying, but it works.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:09 PM   #55
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Yes, that's how I do it as well, to ensure that I get the right match. Pick the Audible version, and click back to Amazon, and then I know I have the correct matching book. Sometimes annoying, but it works.
And sometimes an Audible version matches more than one Kindle book. I think it's always worthwhile to pick up any free public domain Kindle versions; sometimes it will unlock one or more Audible versions that only link back to a different (and more expensive) Kindle book. It's particularly annoying as it's a trick that probably works with cheaper Kindle books also, but you can't start buying up all the cheap books just to see what might match.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:08 AM   #56
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I have been reading reviews of the various translations, and the Richard Pevear gets a lot of praise. One review made me laugh out loud: it described Milady as a cross between Marilyn Monroe and Myra Hindley, with a dash of Margaret Thatcher.

It certainly sounds as if all the steamy bits are there, issybird. (Having read one of the bowdlerised versions in my distant youth, I thought when I read your post "Naughty bits? I didn't know there were any!")
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #57
CRussel
(he/him/his)

For those who might be interested in a further book by Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo, is available today only on AudibleUK for £2.99. Good price(~$4 USD), and a decent narrator. A massive book, but an all time favourite.

Last edited by CRussel; 05-18-2018 at 02:28 PM. Reason: fixed reference
Old 05-18-2018, 03:15 PM   #58
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
A massive book, but an all time favourite.
Hear, hear! 1400+ pages of pure bliss.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #59
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I've started the audiobook of The Three Musketeers four times now, and can't get past the first chapter. I keep realizing that I have no idea what I'm listening to, and starting over. Eeek!
Old 06-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #60
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I've started the audiobook of The Three Musketeers four times now, and can't get past the first chapter. I keep realizing that I have no idea what I'm listening to, and starting over. Eeek!
I gave up on the audiobook and went with the text and then I could concentrate and enjoy it; I found the fun. I always like John Lee as a narrator and I think he was fine, but it wasn't working for me. I know at least one other here ended up doing the same thing.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote