Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
GetBooks announcements

Moderator Notice
This thread is a place for GetBooks plugin developers to make announcements about stores they support, and for users to make queries about existing stores and request new stores.

The stores offered by calibre great new 'get books' feature developed by user_none are for obvious reasons US-centric -- that is where he lives. He has given me permission to add UK bookstore sites to the list. I can also add other EU stores if I can figure out how to integrate them (I speak English & French, and a very small amount of German). Because the integration takes time and effort, my first priority is bookstore sites that have an affiliate program. I have already done Amazon UK, Amazon DE, Foyles UK, and Waterstones UK. I am actively working on Beam Ebooks in Germany.

My question: what stores in the EU do calibre users want to see integrated?

Notes:
- For those who might suggest WH Smith in the UK: they seemingly have actively decided not to be a part of calibre's store. I have tried three times to contact them, once with a negative response and twice with no response.
- I am considering Penguin UK, but won't bother if that store is of little interest.
- FNAC France is a possibility if enough users are interested.
- Amazon.fr does not offer ebooks, so there isn't any point.
- My Italian is terrible, so I have no idea if Amazon.it is a possibility.
- My ignorance about other ebook outlets throughout Europe is enormous.
- I am not interested in integrating sites that pirate books.

Last edited by chaley; 07-27-2011 at 03:32 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
These Italian stores have been requested:
  • Rizzoli
  • BookRepublic
  • LaFeltrinelli

I no nothing about them and I don't speak Italian.

Quote:
I am not interested in integrating sites that pirate books.
Just so everything is clear for everyone out there. Sites that pirate books are not okay and will not be included.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 11:54 PM   #3
frodonl
Weird Dutchie
frodonl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2IL (wifi, 4GB)
Some Dutch stores

Hi chaley,

Some Dutch stores I would love to see in there:

I realize you don't mention reading Dutch, so that might make things a tad difficult, but who knows what can be done with some assistance.

Last edited by frodonl; 05-07-2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention one :)
frodonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:06 AM   #4
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
A store in Germany that I use frequently:

libri.de
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:13 AM   #5
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
Question Get Books?

I'm probably not looking in the right place, but where is "Get books"?
paulfiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2011, 03:19 AM   #6
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfiera View Post
I'm probably not looking in the right place, but where is "Get books"?
Have a look at http://calibre-ebook.com/new-in/eight
Help you ?
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:30 AM   #7
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
Have a look at http://calibre-ebook.com/new-in/eight
Help you ?

Many thanks
paulfiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:52 AM   #8
readx
Connoisseur
readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Other great german sites without DRM

http://www.beam-ebooks.de/
http://www.epubbuy.com/
readx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readx View Post
Working on these now. If things go well, they should appear in the next release.

@frodonl & @lila55: will look at those stores in a week or two, after I return from a long-planned holiday.

@user_none: I am checking into doing Rizzoli. I already have an account at the company that runs their affiliate program, which unfortunately does not simplify things. Multi-country account management (currencies, bank accounts, etc) is confused, or at least confusing. I have asked them for how to proceed.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad mini, iPad 2, Kindle 3
Is there/could there be a central place to make requests for sites, for those of us who aren't prepared to actually add/maintain them ourselves but would like to be able to buy from our favorite sites (and so support the developers) through Calibre? I have a few in mind (US-based) - some of which I've seen floated around, but I have no idea where those requests stand, and I don't want to just throw them out there again and create confusion if there's a more systematic way or place for making a request or for seeing what has already been requested...
jesscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As of right now I'm handling all US stores and Free sources. Charles is handling all of the EU. We don't have anyone handling any other part of the world at the moment.

What do you want to see for additional US stores? Even if it's already been requested the more people requesting help to prioritize based on popularity.

Also, once the majority of common stores are implemented requests will be minimal so I don't see having a central thread about it. There are only so many stores out there that people actually use.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

@user_none: we could make this thread sticky and change the title to "The new 'get books' feature: what stores?". That way it could act as a repository for requests worldwide. It would be 'unstuck' once things settle down.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #13
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
@user_none: we could make this thread sticky and change the title to "The new 'get books' feature: what stores?". That way it could act as a repository for requests worldwide. It would be 'unstuck' once things settle down.
Be my guest. I'm not a mod so I can't edit or make things sticky.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #14
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Cool new feature!

I have been assembling a list of DRM-free stores. I have personally bought ebooks from the majority of them. These are the ones I'd like added to the Get Books feature:
Angry Robot Store - www.angryrobotstore.com
The Black Library (Warhammer) - www.blacklibrary.com
Book View Cafe - www.bookviewcafe.com
Dragon Moon Books - www.dragonmoonpress.com
Fantasy Magazine - www.fantasy-magazine.com
Fictionwise (Multiformat) - www.fictionwise.com
Lightspeed Magazine/Prime Books - www.lightspeedmagazine.com
Locus Magazine - secure.locusmag.com
Pan Macmillan - www.panmacmillan.com
PS Publishing - www.pspublishing.co.uk
Samhain - store.samhainpublishing.com
Weightless Books - weightlessbooks.com
Wizard's Tower - www.wizardstowerbooks.com

These are DRM-free stores that sell programming/technical computer ebooks
A Book Apart - www.abookapart.com
O'Reilly Media - oreilly.com
The Pragmatic Bookshelf - pragprog.com

Although I don't use them, I guess I should mention some European bookstores that use DRM *hiss, spit*:
Eason & Sons - www.eason.ie/e_books
Tesco eBooks - www.tescoebooks.com

Last edited by Hatgirl; 05-08-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #15
user_none

@Hatgirl, Thanks for the list. Though, some of those store are already supported... I'll look into them. I'm a big fan of Fantasy books and I see some stores that look like they specalize in that genre .

Tags
calibre, plugin, store, theanarchistlibrary