Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #151
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
I have to admit that I wouldn't be that offended by ads if they were done properly.

I'd be fine with text ads between chapters, with just simple text ads. Set them off with ADVERTISEMENT tags beginning and ending (much like Google's text ads).

I'd be VERY open "Thank you from our sponsors, we hope you'll consider them when purchasing" sections with ads at the end (or even beginning) of a book.

Honestly, I don't mind being targeted for advertising if the companies don't intrude on my ability to enjoy the content and allow me to skip what I'm not interested...

What bugs me with ads is their intrusiveness...on TV, greatly increased volume...mandatory ad viewing on DVDs. On the internet, popups, autoplay videos, floating boxes you can never get rid of. These are all things that actively prevent me from using the content I have come for and almost certainly assure that there is no way I will patronize the business even if I am interested in their product, all because the ad presentation is so obnoxious.

Just give me a couple of lines to read -- I'll go check out your business if I'm interested.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #152
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmithBooks View Post
IWhat bugs me with ads is their intrusiveness...on TV, greatly increased volume...mandatory ad viewing on DVDs. On the internet, popups, autoplay videos, floating boxes you can never get rid of. These are all things that actively prevent me from using the content I have come for and almost certainly assure that there is no way I will patronize the business even if I am interested in their product, all because the ad presentation is so obnoxious.
I agree with the refusal to patronize any business with obnoxious ads. However you can deny them the opportunity to be obnoxious. I rarely watch live TV anymore, that's what God invented the PVR for, and I save time because an hour on TV is only 40 minutes when you f/fwd the ads.

If you are getting popups, floating boxes etc. on the internet then install some extensions such as NoScript, AdBlockPlus, Better Privacy, Ghostery etc. and you won't see them anymore, plus it will be faster as you're not downloading a bunch of ad rubbish.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #153
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
I agree with the refusal to patronize any business with obnoxious ads. However you can deny them the opportunity to be obnoxious. I rarely watch live TV anymore, that's what God invented the PVR for, and I save time because an hour on TV is only 40 minutes when you f/fwd the ads.

If you are getting popups, floating boxes etc. on the internet then install some extensions such as NoScript, AdBlockPlus, Better Privacy, Ghostery etc. and you won't see them anymore, plus it will be faster as you're not downloading a bunch of ad rubbish.
Oh yeah, I take advantage of those, I'm in complete agreement.

But the thing that I find amazing is that we HAVE to use those tools just to use the web.

The above tactics are the online equivalent of standing in front of me and screaming in my face, "PAY ATTENTION TO ME....OR ELSE!!!!!! AND QUIT BEING A THIEVING PIRATE*!!!"

(* "You wouldn't steal a car...so don't steal a movie.")

Those folks don't get my money.

Website designers and advertisers ought to be wise that this strong-arming turns off customers, but no, many choose to be rude and obnoxious, as bad as the "online pharmacy" spammers.

I'd much rather get a softer touch, "Here's what we have, I hope you like it, feel free to browse...if you have any questions, I'll be over here, sir. Have a great day."

Just being polite and civil and respectful goes a long way in my book and makes me much more inclined to consider buying from you.

I'm not opposed to advertising -- I'm a huge fan of auto racing, which depends on sponsorship at every level. I just want it to be civil and not rude and obnoxious.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #154
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmithBooks View Post
I'm not opposed to advertising -- I'm a huge fan of auto racing, which depends on sponsorship at every level. I just want it to be civil and not rude and obnoxious.
Either it's just my imagination that I thought about auto racing, or I included it in a post and then edited it back out... but I also pictured auto racers with stickers plastered all over their uniforms and cars, as well as golfers with their labeled shirts, hats and shoes. I can see authors with logos on their jacket pockets and lapels, and displayed on any hardware they bring with them to public events. (I'd put a laughing smiley here, but I can also see myself wearing one someday...)

Mostly, though, I can see those things on their websites, where they won't be a bother to anyone.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #155
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Sorry, couldn't resist.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	evoguia_HHMI.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	84821  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-26-2012 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Now one image - MODERATOR
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #156
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The next step from ads are product placement in the actual text which would be really annoying because it is then possible for each reader to have read different books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #157
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The next step from ads are product placement in the actual text which would be really annoying because it is then possible for each reader to have read different books.
Not quite into the book yet, but the new Dr. Seuss based movie is well on the way. I think Colbert's take on it is the best so far:

Quote:
This cashtaculous sellout is not quite enough —
I’m demanding more branding of Loraxian stuff!
With what you can buy, boy, the sky is the limit —
A Filet-O-Fish meal with real hummingfish in it!
Filmmakers, get cracking! The market is lacking
a splendiferous Lorax-themed drill made for fracking!
Or the fine, certain something that all people need —
indeed, you’ll succeed if you sold us a Thneed!
They’re easy to make, if you only take
all the truffula tufts off the trees by the lake —
they’re comfy and thick as the thick ironies
of the Lorax and Seuss hawking big SUVs.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #158
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Too much alarmist talk. Even the worst product placement hasn't been that bad. They shot down the "laser writing on the Moon" idea, remember?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #159
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
"laser writing on the Moon" idea, remember?
Sounds like old Newt came up with that one. A way to finance the moon colony.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #160
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Click image for larger version

Name:	SJB_AD_portrait.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	84836

Authorized promotional representatives are standing by!

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 04-04-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #161
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Attachment 84836

Authorized promotional representatives are standing by!
How about the T-shirts in the mine shaft?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #162
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Y'know, I end up doing product placement several dozen times a day, and most other authors probably do, too. How many have characters who use some kind of tablet? Instead of going with a "generic uPad," get Apple to pay me to have him use an iPad? Or get paid to add a few lines of dialogue before a raunchy bondage sex scene where the domme mentions she prefers to buy from (insert leather goods store here)?

And before you laugh, think about how many characters drink Coke or Pepsi, drive specific cars, use a specific computer and softwares, eat at specific fast food joints, and all that. There's gold in them thar hills!

Last edited by teh603; 04-04-2012 at 07:59 PM.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #163
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

That can be more difficult with SF, especially the further in the future you go, or in historical fiction. That's why ads on websites where the books are sold are preferable... they aren't dependent on adding something to the ebooks themselves.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #164
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Y'know, I end up doing product placement several dozen times a day, and most other authors probably do, too. How many have characters who use some kind of tablet? Instead of going with a "generic uPad," get Apple to pay me to have him use an iPad? Or get paid to add a few lines of dialogue before a raunchy bondage sex scene where the domme mentions she prefers to buy from (insert leather goods store here)?

And before you laugh, think about how many characters drink Coke or Pepsi, drive specific cars, use a specific computer and softwares, eat at specific fast food joints, and all that. There's gold in them thar hills!
That is OK if the text is the same in all editions. But if the text changes depending on for example were you are when you read the book then I think it is very bad.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #165
plib
Guru

Quote:
That is OK if the text is the same in all editions. But if the text changes depending on for example were you are when you read the book then I think it is very bad.
E-readers with little RFID/GPS chips in them. "Buy your leather goods from Joe's Flogging Shop, 123 Main Street (only a block north west - press home for GPS directions)"?

Tags
abundance, ebook, economy, scarcity, steven lyle jordan