Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Question Firmware 2.5.2 sideloaded fonts problem

Hi,

I sideloaded my fonts after updating a week or so ago. However, while they show up on the fonts list, they don't change to those fonts when they are selected. The default Kobo fonts work, the books themselves don't have imbedded fonts, the new ones just don't show up.

I put them into a folder called "fonts" on the reader itself, not in the .kobo folder. Anyone else have any problems with sideloaded fonts?
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
Hi,

I sideloaded my fonts after updating a week or so ago. However, while they show up on the fonts list, they don't change to those fonts when they are selected. The default Kobo fonts work, the books themselves don't have imbedded fonts, the new ones just don't show up.

I put them into a folder called "fonts" on the reader itself, not in the .kobo folder. Anyone else have any problems with sideloaded fonts?
Did you remember to do a full shutdown/restart after loading them?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Monkeys! Nope, I haven't powered off/powered on, just the "processing files". Arrgh, I hate powering off.

THANK YOU for the help!!!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Beat me to it.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
VirgoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Beat me to it.

Regards,
David
Did it, which bricked the KT. It hangs when rebooting with the SD card in it, then freezes if I remove the card, reset with paperclip, reboot, then insert sd card. Hey, but the fonts are there. :s
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did it, which bricked the KT. It hangs when rebooting with the SD card in it, then freezes if I remove the card, reset with paperclip, reboot, then insert sd card. Hey, but the fonts are there. :s
With my Aura HD, I thought it was freezing on a power on with about 1700 books on the uSD card. I noted the same thing you've seen where booting without the uSD card was not sensitive to how many books I had on the internal storage. I finally realized it wasn't freezing when I went to bed one night with the intention of dealing with the issue in the morning. In the morning, I found my Aura HD all booted up and ready to go -- later testing showed it took well over an hour from power on to being ready to go though the test methodology was pretty poor -- took it to work, power off, power on and check back once in a while to see if it had finished booting

When 2.6.1 came out, the boot time with uSD card improved and 2.8.1 cut the time even shorter. Tech support basically says that they are aware of the problem and it is being worked on.

You might want to try updating your Touch to 2.8.1 and see if you see an improvement in the boot time though this will require sideloading the update.

Regards,
David
Old 09-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
VirgoGirl

I'm not sure if that will work on my Touch, though.

Today I'm trying the sideloaded firmware steps, to 2.4. I'm so frustrated, but I don't knwo if it's a hardware issue or a firmware issue.

Back in August, on firmware 2.1.5, I added some books to the SD card through drag and drop, ejected the reader. It then processed for 45 minutes - never did that before - booted up and all my Kpubs and a few sideloaded epubs were "gone" from the machine. They were still on the physical card/ reader, but they were not displayed in the data base.

Same thing happened last night, using 2.5.2. I had all the books on my reader memory - 1,200 of them - when I added 3 books, the same thing happened. Except only my kpubs were displayed.

I can't tell if it's firmware or hardware issue, and that's frustrating.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I'm not sure if that will work on my Touch, though.
I've updated two older Touches to 2.8.1 and so far no complaints. The first one I was replacing the internal uSD card with a larger one so I have no worries about not being able to restore the Touch if it bricked.

Regards,
David