Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
tiniree
Zealot
tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Nook 1st Gen
So do you also buy Hbooks and Pbooks?

I am really curious to find out how many of you continue to purchase "physical" books?? And if you do, why?

Marie
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Nope. Never bought hardbacks (too expensive, with as many books as I read). I just don't read paper books any more. If I'm going to read it, it has to be an ebook.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I have never heard the term 'hbook' before but if you mean hardback, I have never bought a hardback fiction novel in my life. I used to buy paperbacks from the used book store and don't any longer. All my fiction is ebook.

The only paper books I still buy are cookbooks and fitness books, because many of those have nice photos and layouts where I really do like (or need) to see the whole page at once.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I have bought the occasional book since I got my Jetbook. Mainly if I was going to be someplace where I wasn't sure when or if I would be able to recharge my reader.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I want to say no, but I just bought A Lion Among Men by Gregory Maguire; it matches the other books I have by him, Wicked, Son of a Witch, and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister and I really like the covers on them. I also like the way the pages on the inside look. These are not books that I will be giving away, even if I eventually get ebook versions of them.

That's my first book in the nearly two years that I have had my reader.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #6
-walsh-
Enthusiast
-walsh- began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
only if I cant get an ebook version!
-walsh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I recently joined the Doubleday Book Club. They have 18 books I would like to read.

The first five, including shipping, cost $2.94 each.

Most of the books are downsized hardbacks. The nominal price is typically the equivalent of the trade paperback price. There is always a special offer. This month's special is: Buy 2, Get 1 free.

In addition, when you spend $25, shipping is limited to $2.49.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
some call me tim
Connoisseur
some call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra
I think the only hardbacks I'd buy would be for author-signing events. Oh, though, I did buy a couple of the Harry Potter books as hardbacks when they first came out. Hopefully as technology moves on, new releases will be available as ebooks as well. And also, I hope author-signing events don't become a thing of the past, I haven't been to many, but the few I've attended, I thoroughly enjoyed.
some call me tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I still buy copies of books with lots of charts and photos.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #10
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I have only had my ereader since May and in that time I have only purchased ebooks.
I am however LOOKING longingly at several physical books which have been recently released. I have found them available as ebooks in other countries but of course not where I live due to Geographical Restrictions.

After years of waiting for things to get to Australia (we are soooooo far away) I am used to this but it is frustrating to think that the physical book was here within weeks of the US release but not the ebook.

So far I have shown incredible restraint but I can feel my defences crumbling.
I keep telling myself the ebook will be there next time I check...
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #11
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Except for cookbooks, no, and that's only because I'm scared of cooking around my Kindle. I'm clumsy and liable to spill something on it. Really, I should just buy the ebooks and print the recipes I need.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #12
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Honestly, yes... Not hardbacks, but at least as many paperbacks as ebooks.

Maybe my tastes are outside the "typical" ebook reader, but at least of half of what I want to read is not available as ebooks. Mostly non-fiction.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Of course. In fact I buy more real books now than I ever did before. Ebook readers for me are just for reading books that either don't exist in real form or are too expensive. And for reading what a lot of people here call "stolen" books by people I've never heard of before.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #14
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
I have purchased quilting books (both those covering patterns or techniques and those dealing with historical topics) and computer books in both hard and soft cover, although if I have the opportunity I will buy them used. I have also purchased other books (several first-person narratives of hiking the Appalachian Trail) that are just not available in ebook format.
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by -walsh- View Post
only if I cant get an ebook version!
Me too.

Two real books I've recently bought:

"The Universal Principles of Successful Trading" by Brent Pentfold
and
"Journey into Power" by Baron Baptiste.

I would have much preferred to buy them in ebook format.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote