Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Bowhuntxx78
Readoholic
Bowhuntxx78 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS - 505, Kindle DX
Decisions, decisions

Evening all,

Decisions, decisions.... Need a nudge in the right direction in choosing a new E-reader. First let me say I have a Sony PRS 505 and it has been an awesome e-reader but I find that my search for the proverbial “perfect reader for me” with my eyes at this time has not been successful. My wife has green lighted a new reader and in my quest I am find myself having more difficulty pulling the trigger as I am changing my mind every time I get to the brink of ordering “my daily routine is, I want that one, no wait, that one”.

Here is what I have been looking at:
• Would like epub capability
• Need more than the 3 font sizes in the PRS 505, medium is what I use but large does not feel right with the screen size.
• Would like the fonts to be darker than the 505
• I have came to the assumption that a larger reading screen seems to be the direction and have most likely eliminated the K2, Nook and PRS 600 : Readers I am leaning towards: Sony PRS 900 – Kindle DX - iRex 800
• No local brick and mortar carry anything to physically look at the product or in the case of the Sony have no intention of letting me test drive it.

This is probably more of a sounding board post than anything, but I thought there are some smarter cats than I on here and I may be overlooking a product or options.

Thank you in advance….
Bowhuntxx78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
From our Wiki, here is our comparison matrix, allowing you to compare them side by side. Scroll down...........

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The DR800SG is shaping up as the best large reader currently available. You may even be able to see it at a Best Buy store (eventually), but I'm not sure about if a test drive will be possible. It does not have many options for PDFs, but it looks very good for ePubs and eReader PDBs.

The PRS-900 is going to be like your PRS-505 with more font sizes and a shiny screen and no LRX support.

I don't think the font sizes on the Kindle DX are any different than those on the Kindle 2, but both have 6 sizes.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
Bowhuntxx78
Readoholic
Bowhuntxx78 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS - 505, Kindle DX
Thank you both desertgrandma & wallcraft
Bowhuntxx78 is offline   Reply With Quote