Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-23-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
sp535
sp535 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-900
PRS-900; can I buy ebooks from B&N?

I bought PRS-900 and waiting its arrival - and realized that I could not find an answer to the question above - can PRS-900 work with B&N online shop?

I found Sony ereader site has very limited selection -

kindly advise.

Thank you.
sp535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
B&N books will not work with the Sony unless you strip the DRM.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
sp535

Thank you very much -
but does that mean there is a way to buy ebooks from BN and somehow modify DRM soon? does stripping DRM works for any book and is it legal to do so?

PRS-900 user
Old 01-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp535 View Post
Thank you very much -
but does that mean there is a way to buy ebooks from BN and somehow modify DRM soon? does stripping DRM works for any book and is it legal to do so?

PRS-900 user
  1. You can not buy eBooks from B&N directly from your reader; you'll need to use a computer
  2. B&N sells books in two formats: PDB and EPUB. EPUB just requires DRM stripping, PDB will require both stripping and conversion.
  3. There's no good way to know ahead of time whether the book you bought will be in PDB or EPUB
  4. Stripping DRM is illegal in the US
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
sp535

wow - so many knowledgeable professionals here -

still not sure I understand the terminology you used -
what is Stripping and what is conversion - if I dare to ask? or is there any link to know what that is?

sorry for bothering..
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yep, they will sell them to you. But unfortunately they won't work on your Sony and they won't refund your money either.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
wow - so many knowledgeable professionals here -

still not sure I understand the terminology you used -
what is Stripping and what is conversion - if I dare to ask? or is there any link to know what that is?

sorry for bothering..
Striping is removing the DRM (Digital Rights Management). With DRM your book can only be read on the device it was designed for.

Conversion is converting your eBook into another format. For example Kindle books come in a PRC format and if you wanted to read the book on the Sony you would have to convert it to ePub or LRF format. Before you can do this you will have to remove the DRM. Calibre is an excellent program for converting your eBooks.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Sony has a really good selection, in my opinion. You can check out what they have to offer by going to http://ebookstore.sony.com

It's been a while since I haven't found a book I was looking for on Sony.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
You should also look at Fictionwise which has an increasing selection of epub titles.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I bought PRS-900 and waiting its arrival - and realized that I could not find an answer to the question above - can PRS-900 work with B&N online shop?

I found Sony ereader site has very limited selection -

kindly advise.

Thank you.
I think there is a pretty good chance that the Daily Edition will work with the B&N store (because it has Reader Mobile 9.1 firmware). I know it has the latest firmware because without it the Daily Edition couldn't do OTA downloads. And we can guess that the Epub sold at B&N need the latest firmware.

It's worth a shot, at least.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #11
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Sounded to me like there was a lower-level problem, like the BN implementation of DRM was not compatible with the Sony implementation using ADE. If you can't get the book on your PC using the Sony PC software, it does not matter what your device firmware is.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #12
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
I know a lot of people have had good luck with Kobo books. They may have what you are looking for without having to worry about the DRM...
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:38 AM   #13
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I think there is a pretty good chance that the Daily Edition will work with the B&N store (because it has Reader Mobile 9.1 firmware). I know it has the latest firmware because without it the Daily Edition couldn't do OTA downloads. And we can guess that the Epub sold at B&N need the latest firmware.

It's worth a shot, at least.
I think the problem is not knowing of a B&N book is sold in Epub or PDB format. I heard they recently switched back to PDB and I'm not sure how they are progressing towards going back to Epub.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:58 AM   #14
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
B&N books will not work with the Sony unless you strip the DRM.
How do you know, which format you get from B&N? I've bought 2 books yesterday for testing on my iRex 800. Both ended up being .pdb. That's okay, iRex 800 can read it, even with DRM. But I haven't found a way to tell before purchasing, could have been .epub as well.
Do you have to download a sample? Are samples available for all the books and are they always the same format you'll get later on?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:03 AM   #15
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
How do you know, which format you get from B&N? I've bought 2 books yesterday for testing on my iRex 800. Both ended up being .pdb. That's okay, iRex 800 can read it, even with DRM. But I haven't found a way to tell before purchasing, could have been .epub as well.
Do you have to download a sample? Are samples available for all the books and are they always the same format you'll get later on?
I don't think there is a way to know beforehand. Furthermore, it's not very consistent even after the purchase. For instance, I bought Stuart Woods "Kisser" which was released last week from B&N and when I downloaded it using their desktop reader program it came as EPUB. When I downloaded it using the browser, I got the PDB file.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote