Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-20-2006, 02:10 AM   #1
Tscherno
iLiad Geek
Tscherno began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad #505; Sony T1, Amazon Paperwhite first Gen & sec is coming!
Question New format? (OEB)

Just stumbled over
http://www.irextechnologies.com/products/iliad/specs
Which says:

Content formats supported

PDF
XHTML
TXT
APABI (China only)
OEB*
MP3*
Optional: Customization to support customer specific content format

This is new, isn't it?
Tscherno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:40 AM   #2
vvoi666
Zealot
vvoi666 began at the beginning.

quite new ... i think they added it a few weeks back.
supporting as much open standards as possible can never be a bad thing.
i haven't really gotten around to look into oeb but it sounds promising.
vvoi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2006, 02:54 AM   #3
Tscherno
iLiad Geek

It's surely nice to have - but would is really missing is a popular DRM-supporting format for commercial E-Books.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:41 AM   #4
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
check out: http://www.idpf.org/specs.htm

i think the open eBook standard is quite cool.

(way better then xeb, not as proprietary as pdf, especially designed for ebooks unlike html)
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:46 AM   #5
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscherno
It's surely nice to have - but would is really missing is a popular DRM-supporting format for commercial E-Books.
Yeah, and I was wandering around the site yesterday and they have removed all references they recently had to DRM, soon or ever. That would be a problem for me. Now considering cancelling.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2006, 05:55 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader
Yeah, and I was wandering around the site yesterday and they have removed all references they recently had to DRM, soon or ever. That would be a problem for me. Now considering cancelling.
Thats another reason to hate DRM. You just cant read your stuff anywhere you want. I think i would prefer to have open ebooks. There is more honest people out there, than all the lobbys want us to believe.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:22 AM   #7
Tscherno
iLiad Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
Thats another reason to hate DRM. You just cant read your stuff anywhere you want. I think i would prefer to have open ebooks. There is more honest people out there, than all the lobbys want us to believe.
Sure - everyone wants control the content he bought. But you have to dance after their whistle - they only sell DRMed content. For Music i will never accept this. For books i do (if the price-tag fits).
But if i cant read them or at least convert them (which is not allowed), i have to stay on content sources which deliver DRM-free PDFs of all actual Bestsellers...
Old 07-20-2006, 06:30 AM   #8
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Also it delays development. I have a Toshiba/Panasonic double screen ebook, only for museum purposes, because I have never got a clear way to upload content into the SD card.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:41 AM   #9
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscherno
But if i cant read them or at least convert them (which is not allowed), i have to stay on content sources which deliver DRM-free PDFs of all actual Bestsellers...
I know. I rather buy the pbook and read it as an ebook. Makes me feel good, because i have what i want, and author and publisher get what they want. (and looks nice in the bookshelf aswell )
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:51 AM   #10
Tscherno
iLiad Geek

Quote:
I know. I rather buy the pbook and read it as an ebook. Makes me feel good, because i have what i want, and author and publisher get what they want. (and looks nice in the bookshelf aswell )
That's my main reason for e-books: My bookshelf is full...
Old 07-20-2006, 06:56 AM   #11
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
So you think you are on the morally clear side if buy the pbook and get the ebook from another source. And even if it's morally right, what does the law say about it?

I would love a personal serial number in every pbook which allows you to download the ebook version (watermarked so they can backtrack it to your account if it shows up in the wrong places, but without DRM)

Unless the ebook market is about to explode, they might as well follow baen and enjoy the free publicity.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:40 AM   #12
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
as someone said before buy .lit ebooks and use the convertlit app
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:29 AM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
So you think you are on the morally clear side if buy the pbook and get the ebook from another source. And even if it's morally right, what does the law say about it?
I think it falls under "fair use" -- if you're not selling it, or otherwise distributing it, you can make copies. The thing about DRM is that it tends to artificially limit that "fair use."

I'm not saying that there is a law that says "if you buy the book and convert it to an e-text, exclusively for your own use you're legally in the clear," but I'm pretty sure that it would get tossed out of court if they tried to prosecute something like that.

Judge: So they defendant purchased the text for the going market rate?
Prosecuter: Yes, Your Honor.
Judge: And he made an electronic copy?
Judge: Did he sell this electronic copy?
Prosecuter: No, Your Honor.
Judge: Did he give this electronic copy to anyone else?
Prosecuter: No, Your Honor.
Judge: What did he do with this electronic copy then?
Prosecuter: He read it, Your Honor.
Judge: He read it?
Judge: That's all?
Prosecuter: That's all, Your Honor.
Judge: So ... he bought a book, paid full price for it, and read it.

Just imagine what Judge Judy would would say to that?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:43 AM   #14
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
you could use the Chewbacca_Defense
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think it'd be more of a Chewbacca Prosecution

Oh, wait, I see what you're saying -- Yes, yes they could use the Chewbacca Defense.

It'd make better sense.

Last edited by NatCh; 07-20-2006 at 10:53 AM.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote