Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
geneticlone
geneticlone began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Unhappy Nook My Library vs. My Documents

I have a quick question, I am getting my nook tomorrow and I wanted to know if Calibre can upload books to My Library instead of My Documents.

I spent a lot of time formatting my ebooks and their covers and then I heard that My Documents doesn't support cover flow.

Anyway, I am not sure about how this process works and was hoping you guys could help.
geneticlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:58 AM   #2
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't know if Calibre can be set to send to B&N folder; but I can tell you that even B&N ebook, if sideloaded from your PC in B&N folder, it will not show the cover. I believe that only B&N ebook purchased and downloaded through Nook will show the cover and cover flow (I can't confirm because I'm not in US & Canada, so I can't purchase/download ebook from my Nook; but I did purchase some from my PC and sideload them to B&N folder in my Nook).
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
geneticlone
geneticlone began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
I don't know if Calibre can be set to send to B&N folder; but I can tell you that even B&N ebook, if sideloaded from your PC in B&N folder, it will not show the cover. I believe that only B&N ebook purchased and downloaded through Nook will show the cover and cover flow (I can't confirm because I'm not in US & Canada, so I can't purchase/download ebook from my Nook; but I did purchase some from my PC and sideload them to B&N folder in my Nook).
Arg, go figure.. It seems like such a basic feature, sigh.
geneticlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
Xymantix
Xymantix began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Reader
I'm in the same boat you are, but haven't found a way to do it. All of the books that I've loaded on my nook from Calibre end up in the Documents section instead of the Library section. And as far as I can tell, you can only do the cover flow browser with titles in your Library - not your Documents.
Xymantix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
binkman71
Enthusiast
binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.binkman71 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505; nook
I believe the manual also states you shouldn't manually do anything to the B&N Library folder on the nook.

K.
binkman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneticlone View Post
I have a quick question, I am getting my nook tomorrow and I wanted to know if Calibre can upload books to My Library instead of My Documents.

I spent a lot of time formatting my ebooks and their covers and then I heard that My Documents doesn't support cover flow.

Anyway, I am not sure about how this process works and was hoping you guys could help.
Calibre will place your books in "my documents" folder, and will copy as well a small thumbnail with the cover of the book. You cannot do cover flow, but you'll see the cover while reading the book, if you turn the LCD on.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Ebooks stored in B&N folder will be listed before any ebooks stored in My Document folder.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Ebooks stored in B&N folder will be listed before any ebooks stored in My Document folder.
Not really, their is two different sections on the nook. One for the books that you bought from B&N and one called "My Documents" for the books you sideloaded. These are totaly seperate. The problem with the books in the My Documents Folder is that there is no way to organize them. Pre-update they were listed in order by author, post update they are listed by the date added (the most recent book you have added will be the last book in your collection).
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkman71 View Post
I believe the manual also states you shouldn't manually do anything to the B&N Library folder on the nook.

K.
In fact, I'm fairly certain that if you sideload content into the My Library folder, the nook will delete it automatically.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:14 AM   #10
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
In fact, I'm fairly certain that if you sideload content into the My Library folder, the nook will delete it automatically.
No, it won't. I sideload b&n ebooks from my pc to Nook b&n folder and they are still there showing on top of the book list (I can't buy them directly from Nook).
Old 01-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #11
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
No, it won't. I sideload b&n ebooks from my pc to Nook b&n folder and they are still there showing on top of the book list (I can't buy them directly from Nook).
I don't think we're talking about the same thing. If I sideload non-B&N-purchased content into the "my B&N downloads" folder, the nook ignores it, then deletes it on the next restart--which is what the User's Guide says it will do.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #12
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I already have a bunch of books waiting in my B&N e-reader for PC that I plan on downloading again into my nook since they are on my B&N account. Will I lose cover flow for these?
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:17 AM   #13
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

If you register your nook under your B&N account, the ebooks in your B&N library should automatically download to nook and include cover-flow.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote