Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Managing Conversions

I am running 0.6 b13, and I have a question/observation.

I have been updating metadata on many of the 700+ books in my library. My next step is obviously to convert the books so that I can have clean copies with updated metadata.

I tried to do a mass-convert of my entire library, but calibre choked on that. I was able to convert 100 books, but two or three had problems and didn't convert. I haven't gotten around to completing the rest yet.

However, this points out to me that I don't have any clear way of knowing which I've already converted, which choked, and which have changed meta-data but haven't converted yet. I believe the date information only shows when the library entry was first made (correct?).

I'm not sure about the best implementation, but here are a couple thoughts. 1) An additional date field that shows the last conversion time; or 2) A flag that can be set manually and is set automatically when the meta data changes. This flag shows that the book needs to be converted. You could then do a search/filter on the flag to see books that need to be converted. Every time a book is successfully converted, this flag would be reset.

Comments?
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you are converting to another format then you can easily use the "not format:xxx" option in the Search critieria to find books for which do not have format xxx. However this will not work if converting to the same format.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Actually, all that's really needed in this scenario is a way to mass delete a specific format from all books in the library. You do that, then you can use itimpi's tip above to figure out which have not been converted.

Having a "metadata out of sync" flag is of course a more general and robust solution, but a little harder to implement.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Except that sometimes I only have one format.

I want to convert from that format back to that format so that I can get the metadata updated.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah yes, for that scenario there is no existing clean solution.
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 01:26 AM   #6
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post

I want to convert from that format back to that format so that I can get the metadata updated.
Does the Save function no longer do that in the new version of Calibre?
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Does the Save function no longer do that in the new version of Calibre?
It does, but it typically doesn't update covers as often that requires drastic re-assembly of the files.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:10 AM   #8
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It does, but it typically doesn't update covers as often that requires drastic re-assembly of the files.
Does that mean that cover changes aren't updated when a file is transferred onto a device?

Just trying to understand how you would force an update of all changes so that you would have a fully corrected book file. If, say, you wanted to give a copy to a friend.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:15 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yes covers are not updated when you send to device (actually they may be updated for a couple of formats, LRF springs to mind) but for most formats, they are not.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
emellaich
Wizard

Quote:
Does that mean that cover changes aren't updated when a file is transferred onto a device?

Just trying to understand how you would force an update of all changes so that you would have a fully corrected book file. If, say, you wanted to give a copy to a friend.
So to force a fully corrected book file you do a conversion, and it can be a conversion from the same format back to the same format in order to update the book. The third icon from the top left is the conversion icon.

However, I didn't think about your tip of using a save. I guess that (as long as the cover didn't change) I could save back into the existing directory. I'm not sure if there would be any difference or advantage over a convert. I'd also need to experiment to see how I would save multiple books each into its appropriate directory. I do see that there are save options that seem to relate to that, but I'd have to experiment to verify.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Yes covers are not updated when you send to device (actually they may be updated for a couple of formats, LRF springs to mind) but for most formats, they are not.
Clearly I'm missing something, because this seems like a step back from the capabilities of previous Calibre. I was under the impression (in .5x) that you could force metadata and cover changes to be updated by Saving the file, and also that it happened automatically when a file was transferred to the reader.

What am I missing? How do you get Calibre to give you a fully updated book file?
Old 07-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

you aren't missing anything, the metadata update capabilities of calibre 0.6 are >= calibre 0.5. calibre 0.5 also didn't update covers for the majority of formats
Old 07-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #13
emellaich
Wizard

Quote:
What am I missing? How do you get Calibre to give you a fully updated book file?
Do a "Convert ebooks". You can convert from (for example) mobi ==> mobi or convert from one format to another (for example) mobi ==> epub.

In either case, the output file will be fully updated.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #14
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Do a "Convert ebooks". You can convert from (for example) mobi ==> mobi or convert from one format to another (for example) mobi ==> epub.

In either case, the output file will be fully updated.
I thought the whole point of this discussion was that that did not necessarily update the file completely. To quote previous:

Quote:

Quote:
Ah yes, for that scenario there is no existing clean solution.
?? Which is it?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:23 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

A re-convert will cleanly update all metadata. A save to disk may not. My comment about there not existing a solution for the case was with regard to the OPs original question about ways to know which files haven't been converted