Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
"Can you curl up with a good e-book reader?"

That's the title of a brief article in the February issue of Consumer Reports, which arrived today.

Their take: " ... Although the new Kindle and revamped Sony Reader could suit voracious readers on the go, most people will still want to stick with paper."

lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Yeah, I've never understood that attitude. For me, the book is the thing - the medium is immaterial. If you ask me in a few months whether I read a given book in paper or as an ebook, I probably wouldn't be able to answer. The platform disappears in the experience!
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
All I know is that is hard to curl up with a good hardcover because it can be too heavy. But the same book on my 505 would do fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
arit
Cybook Warrior
arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia E65, HTC Universal, Cybook G3
Having my Cybook wrapped up in a leather cover gives it a nice bookish feeling. Albeit it being slightly bigger and heavier than a typical paperback, it is way better to read imo.

So my conclusion is that their conclusion failed Even though I'd like to be able to buy some fake bookcovers to waste space on my bookshelf...

Last edited by arit; 01-02-2008 at 09:57 PM.
arit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
That is my feeling also. But my Palm T5 did definitely not give a book feeling and I only managed to read one book on it. I also think people over estimate the importance of this. Before they have tried a reader they think they will not like it because it is not a book and they believe the flashing will be extremely disturbing and so on. But I think for most people that they will get used to it very fast and think the opinions they held to be strange.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2008, 10:48 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I agree with Jon on this one. My Kindle is more comfortable to curl up with than most of my books. It's so much easier on my hands. It's lighter than most and I don't have to hold it open. My hands used to get tired after long reading session. I never have that problem now.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
All I know is that is hard to curl up with a good hardcover because it can be too heavy. But the same book on my 505 would do fine.
I totally agree, I usually buy paperbacks because hard covers are so large and heavy. I have been curling up with my Cybook just fine, it's so small and light I can hold it in one hand - even my left hand - for a long time without a problem.

It does take a bit of getting used to, though.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:32 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I can hold my 505 in one hand. I originally thought that the way the cover opened and extended on the right side would be a problem, but that actually makes it easier to hold in one hand.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:21 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The "curlability rating" of both the Gen3 and the Sony is definitely right up there with paper books. PDAs, etc, much less so, in my experience. Never seen a Kindle, so I can't comment on that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:27 AM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Both my CyBook and TX have better curlability ratings than pbooks.

If I'm lying on my side reading in bed, ereaders are easy to manage - but pbooks mean you have to elevate one portion of the book every other page; if that portion is hundreds of pages it gets awkward to hold out of the way; how did they ever catch on??

I'm currently reading 'Pandora's Star' by Peter F. Hamilton - according to Amazon the pbook is over 1100 pages.
The eversion is much less of a wrestling contest than the pback!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:12 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
They are wrong! Wrong! Worng!

You definitely can curl up with eInksreader and enjoy it as much (or more) as a regular pbook.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
My wife curls up with her 505 just fine! Even falls asleep reading just like she does with p-books.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:24 PM   #13
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
My wife curls up with her 505 just fine! Even falls asleep reading just like she does with p-books.
I have done that a few times, only prob, falling asleep with the Iliad on means that by tie you wake int he morning (my other half will remove the book to my desk, but not switch it off), the battery has gone flat.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
I have done that a few times, only prob, falling asleep with the Iliad on means that by tie you wake int he morning (my other half will remove the book to my desk, but not switch it off), the battery has gone flat.
I fall asleep with my Gen3 virtually every night - that's why I make sure I have it's "auto shutdown" turned on, so that if I don't touch it for 20 minutes, it shuts down .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #15
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I curl up with my Sony 500 all the time. The only issue (do I dare mention it?) is that the display is not quite up to reading by the light from my bedside lamp. The 505 appears to be easier to read in low light than the 500 but neither is quite as good as a pbook. Aside from that one issue, reading on my Sony Reader is a favorite bedtime activity for me.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote