Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
u_know_who
u_know_who began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
A complete guide of ebook conversion for kindle

Hello, i am a newbie here. I have recently get a kindle as a gift from a relative. I am a student and i have my ebooks available in my PC. I need to convert them to suit in my kindle. I used calibre and K2pdf for conversion with default settings. But none of them give satisfactory result with default settings. I am afraid to check all the settings since theres so many. I have browsed through this forum. But there are also many tips and tricks. What i need a complete guide for ebook conversion.

Can anyone help me out?

u_know_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by u_know_who View Post
Hello, i am a newbie here. I have recently get a kindle as a gift from a relative. I am a student and i have my ebooks available in my PC. I need to convert them to suit in my kindle. I used calibre and K2pdf for conversion with default settings. But none of them give satisfactory result with default settings. I am afraid to check all the settings since theres so many. I have browsed through this forum. But there are also many tips and tricks. What i need a complete guide for ebook conversion.

Can anyone help me out?

Basically you don't really need to change much if anything I've found in order to do a straight conversion. What format are you trying to convert from?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
u_know_who
u_know_who began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Basically you don't really need to change much if anything I've found in order to do a straight conversion. What format are you trying to convert from?
from pdf to say mobi.
u_know_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #4
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by u_know_who View Post
from pdf to say mobi.
    • if it is not OCRed> use an OCR app ( [ Adobe Acrobat ( free version)+mobipocket creator] , ABBYY Fine Reader, etc ): pdf>html
    • for OCRed PDFs Mobipocket Creator: pdf> html
  1. MS Word with this and this tools: html to html(via transform-html) or filtered html ( using Word's save-as option)
    using outline view to determine titles (ie chapters) could be easier
  2. calibre (or kindlegen): "zipped html" to mobi or azw3

Last edited by thomass; 02-13-2013 at 01:30 AM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:51 AM   #5
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
PDF is a terrible format to convert from. See this thread for information on why:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118605

The Calibre Conversion forum is the place to ask for further help if you're using Calibre to convert your PDFs to mobi: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
You might also find this program of use.

http://www.pdftoepub.com/ It can convert to HTML, Epub, or Kindle format directly though I'd convert to epub then open it in Sigil to clean up any errors before converting it to Kindle via Calibre.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You may as well forget the PDF exists. It's just a hassle to convert. You cannot do a conversion without errors. After you choose what software to convert the PDF, you then have to do an A/B compare the PDF to the conversion, fix that up and then fix the formatting. It's a lot of work for very little return.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote