Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #61
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2
I'm having trouble finding a font for the Glo myself. Caecilia just doesn't look right to on the Glo for some reason and Lexia DaMa is far too light.

I think I need to find a good humanist sans.
OverHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #62
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
I have the same problem with the Linux which beedaddy mentioned earlier in this thread. Not as bad as what your screenshot shows, but illegible Bold anyway. Trouble is, even when I leave Bold untouched, it still doesn't display right. Haven't figured it out, yet.
I have realised that now I have increased the weight of Fontin Regular, I can no longer tell it apart from Bold. And if I increase the weight of the Bold font, I get the horrible black lines. So I have made my own Bold and BoldItalic by taking the original Regular and Italic and increasing the weight twice, and also changing all the font settings/properties so it is classified as a Bold/BoldItalic font. These fonts look good without smearing.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #63
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
Do you mean that you renamed the Linux font to Times New Roman?! Or are you now using the Times New Roman font?
I used the TNR font that you linked to in post #46. I thought it was the same as the Linux font you provided earlier but renamed.
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #64
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
I'm having trouble finding a font for the Glo myself. Caecilia just doesn't look right to on the Glo for some reason and Lexia DaMa is far too light.

I think I need to find a good humanist sans.
I find Lucida Sans fairly readable on my Glo, and in some moods I also like Gill Sans.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:00 AM   #65
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstonian View Post
I used the TNR font that you linked to in post #46. I thought it was the same as the Linux font you provided earlier but renamed.
Ah, I see. No, the Times New Roman font is Times New Roman. It was originally called times.ttf and I renamed it to Times New Roman.ttf, because it only works on the Glo when you use the full name. The Linux is still problematic, though ShellShock's solution might very well work. It still irks me, though, that the TNR Bold gives no problems, while Linux and Fontin Bold do.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #66
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@bartveld,

There was a 'weightier' version of Linux Libertine in the Kindle packages you pointed me to in post #26. So far, it is working well for me on the Kobo Glo (after renaming the files suitably, of course).
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #67
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@bartveld,

There was a 'weightier' version of Linux Libertine in the Kindle packages you pointed me to in post #26. So far, it is working well for me on the Kobo Glo (after renaming the files suitably, of course).
You're right! I hadn't even noticed the fonts for the K3 mentioned at the bottom of that list.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #68
terragady
terragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura about

Device: PW1
What will happen when I will rename my own font like the font already intalled? For example Comic Sans rename to Georgia-Regular.ttf ? It will replace georgia? And it will be adjustable (advanced) from Kobo?
terragady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #69
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Replacing built-in fonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by terragady View Post
What will happen when I will rename my own font like the font already intalled? For example Comic Sans rename to Georgia-Regular.ttf ? It will replace georgia? And it will be adjustable (advanced) from Kobo?
No and no. It will not replace the built-in font and it will not be adjustable. Heck, Kobo supplied fonts are not all adjustable.

When I installed the Gill Sans font from the older KT firmware to check the italics issues, I needed to change the font name to Gill Sans2 with appropriate file names to even see the font.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #70
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I'm running firmware version 1.3.1, and I've found now if I add any new fonts, I have to turn the device off and then back on (a full power off and on) before they show correctly.

That aside, I've been really enjoying the Linux Biolinum font lately; it has a very nice weight and straddles a nice line between something formal and something casual. I've been using Severek lately for reading Instapaper epubs; it's a really nice sans-serif but is a paid font. I tried Charis SIL for a little while, and while it displays nicely, it just felt so, so bland and lacking any character whatsoever. I guess depending on what you're looking for that could be a plus, but for me it was actually so generic looking it was distracting.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #71
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For those curious, Linux Biolinum:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357159454.860379.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	98637

And this is Seravek:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357159567.302566.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	98638
Old 01-03-2013, 01:02 AM   #72
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
I'm running firmware version 1.3.1, and I've found now if I add any new fonts, I have to turn the device off and then back on (a full power off and on) before they show correctly.

That aside, I've been really enjoying the Linux Biolinum font lately; it has a very nice weight and straddles a nice line between something formal and something casual. I've been using Severek lately for reading Instapaper epubs; it's a really nice sans-serif but is a paid font. I tried Charis SIL for a little while, and while it displays nicely, it just felt so, so bland and lacking any character whatsoever. I guess depending on what you're looking for that could be a plus, but for me it was actually so generic looking it was distracting.
Not sure why the power cycle is needed for new fonts but I've noticed the same thing.

Charis SIL's ability to display diacritical characters was my main reason for trying it out but one of the reasons I still like it is that generic, display the text and stay out of the way appearance. So mark me as one person who sees that blandness as a plus.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:12 AM   #73
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky

The diacritical support of Charis SIL is definitely a major selling point. Much of what I read has no need for such extensive support, however, so I've gone for a little more flavor. Charis SIL is definitely an excellently designed font; just not to my liking. I'm still a huge fan of Iowan Old Style for most of my reading. Unfortunately that's also a paid font; guess my experience in typographic design makes me a little too picky for my own good...
Old 01-03-2013, 03:59 AM   #74
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post

I'd like to try Linux Biolinum, and downloaded the most recent (5.3.0) version, but it's displayed as streaky garbage on my 2.3.1 Glo screen. I renamed the files a variety of ways, and after reading...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1892223

...I felt sure that naming them "Linux Biolinum-Bold.ttf" etc. would work, but it always looks the same. Would someone who got it working please help me? Thanks.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #75
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky

rwhe, I just used the version included in the attachment to this post and named the files exactly how you were mentioning.