Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #61
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Only one more day and all the speculation could be put to rest and the complaining (about what it's not) can begin!!!

Joking, to a point.

I hope that we get a good early Christmas present tomorrow!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #62
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Based on dumping prices of nook 3g (as low as $85 now, I paid $259 around a year ago) I fear my nook classic will become a paperweight this evening....
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #63
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
Based on dumping prices of nook 3g (as low as $85 now, I paid $259 around a year ago) I fear my nook classic will become a paperweight this evening....
The evolution of electronic technology at work. If you get more than a year from a device, that's a good thing. What I hope will happen is that they will still support it with updates to the operating system and the like. However, I won't hold my breath on that one. Is that $85 price for a new or refurbished one? If new, then I bet the price for the new one will be around the $115 mark.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:13 AM   #64
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
The evolution of electronic technology at work. If you get more than a year from a device, that's a good thing. What I hope will happen is that they will still support it with updates to the operating system and the like. However, I won't hold my breath on that one. Is that $85 price for a new or refurbished one? If new, then I bet the price for the new one will be around the $115 mark.
Refurbs.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #65
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Only one more day and all the speculation could be put to rest and the complaining (about what it's not) can begin!!!

Joking, to a point.

I hope that we get a good early Christmas present tomorrow!!
+1. Can't wait for the announcement.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #66
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
This legit?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385817,00.asp

EDIT: Looks like it is. It's on the B&N website now.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp?PID=35699

$139 - they didn't make the $99 price point.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #67
jersysman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
This legit?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385817,00.asp

EDIT: Looks like it is. It's on the B&N website now.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp?PID=35699

$139 - they didn't make the $99 price point.
Sounds right to me. They had a live blog on CNET and I attended that.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #68
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, let the complaints begin. I'll start.

I don't see anything about 3G, despite several mentions of WiFi. That's a shame - the Nook Classic 3G options were very convenient. Then again, you can find WiFi everywhere these days, so it's not a dealbreaker for me.

I do like that the page turn buttons were retained. I like that the SD card slot is more accessible. The touch screen in the video looks very intuitive and responsive. Very cool overall.

If it was $99, I'd buy it. For $140, though, I won't. Looks like a good device, though.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #69
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
When I first bought the 3G Nook, it would have been a deal breaker for me for sure. But now that I have a rooted Android device, if I had to do it all over again, I would probably purchase WiFi.

I was hoping for a Nook that mimicked the Nookcolor. No buttons, touchscreen, and a seven inch screen. Hopes are dashed--except for the touchscreen part.

Couldn't care less about pearl eink. The battery life is amazing, but I don't mind charging once a week anyway. Form wise, it isn't nearly as sexy as the original Nook, which I still consider to be the best looking reader on the market.

All in all, this will be a nice upgrade when the time comes and I have to get rid of my Nook classic for whatever reason, but I don't think I will be getting a new one right now. I still think mine is better.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #70
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
I was hoping for a Nook that mimicked the Nookcolor. No buttons, touchscreen, and a seven inch screen. Hopes are dashed--except for the touchscreen part.
YMMV, I guess. I would have been incensed if the side page-turning buttons were gone. I hate turning pages via touchscreen - that was one big reason I set up CM7 on the NC, so that I could use the volume buttons as page turns.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #71
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Sorry if I missed it, but does it have a web browser?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #72
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but does it have a web browser?
Apparently not.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #73
jersysman
Wizard

Quote:
YMMV, I guess. I would have been incensed if the side page-turning buttons were gone. I hate turning pages via touchscreen - that was one big reason I set up CM7 on the NC, so that I could use the volume buttons as page turns.
I happen to love the page turning on a touchscreen device. So, I guess that's why they give us both alternatives on this new Nook. That is a good move on BN's part to give us both.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #74
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
I happen to love the page turning on a touchscreen device. So, I guess that's why they give us both alternatives on this new Nook. That is a good move on BN's part to give us both.
I agree. Very smart. Don't have to lose the interest of anyone because of page turning.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #75
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Apparently not.
Makes WiFi less of a big deal then for me. It's nice being able to retrieve books I have stored in my DropBox or grab a PD title from MR or Feedbooks quick. If it's just to buy books, well it's a nice feature, but not all that. Now if they'd let you sync bookshelves that would be nice.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote