Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #13021
thatnerdychick
thatnerdychick began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Right now, I'm on the second book of 50 shades of grey. Love every word!
thatnerdychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #13022
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I am re-reading the Harry Potter series & listening to The Thirteen Hallows. Holy crow that's a creepy, gory yet enthralling book!! I had to buy the ebook. I borrowed the audiobook from the library & liked what I've heard so far I had to buy the ebook.

The reader is doing an awesome job of all the characters and the various accents. I drove from Toronto to Niagara Falls yesterday and completely lost track of time. I was so lost in the story.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #13023
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Someone bothered to make a book out of that thought experiment? Goodness me....
Yes, they did, and I read it so you don't have to!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #13024
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
...Perhaps I should write a book about someone who's kidnapped and taken to a railway bridge, where he's forced to choose whether or not to pull a lever and switch a train from the track with five people tied to it, to a track with only one person tied to it.
Hey, it worked as a song for "Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree." I'm 62 years old, and I remember that story from hearing it in church as a child.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-27-2012 at 04:04 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #13025
Wingpeople
▲▲ Books with Altitude ▲▲
Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Currently reading
The Most Beautiful Thing by Fiona Robyn
and enjoying it very much.
Wingpeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #13026
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Currently Reading:

- The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (59%)

- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (second time) (42%)

- Moby-Dick, or The Whale by Herman Melville (24%)

- Skeleton Crew by Stephen King (35%) [on hold]

Moby-Dick is long and boring. I've attempted to read it three times now over the last six years, and I'm stuck back at the part I gave up the first two times. For those that have read it, it's Chapter 32, "Cetology."

Meanwhile, The Rook is awesome. I can't stop reading it.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #13027
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Now that I've got leisure time to coherently (hopefully!) comment on what I've been reading, it seems that I'm 16 new full-length books and about a dozen shorts/re-reads behind from the last time.

Anyway, the latest completed read was the late Barbara Parker's Suspicion of Innocence, a Florida-set murder mystery/legal thriller which was a freebie offering from re-publisher eReads during Read an E-Book Week, which I tried to see if I wanted to pick up the 7th in series which was a new release with the extra 15% during the Fictionwise 60% off coupon sale and would never be cheaper.

I ended up buying the lot of the 8 books in the series, which stars civil lawyer and prominent local Founding Family descendant Gail Connor who has a part-friendly, part-adversarial relationship with criminal lawyer and former kidnapped Cuban refugee Anthony Quintana, and in this first title is caught up in a family tragedy which rapidly becomes a murder mystery in which both of Our Heroes are potential suspects.

This nicely melded family tensions with the actual whodunnit case as Connor has to deal with the breakdown of one personal relationship with the discovery that the other relationship which she'd had with the deceased was not at all what she thought it was. Part of the mystery involves Connor not only discovering who murdered the victim, but who the victim actually was on a personal level and not who she'd complacently thought they'd been.

On the Quintana side, his own family drama interweaves with Connor's case in ways that at first seemed tangential, but turned out to be fairly important, though not in the way one might initially suspect.

I'm normally rather bad at these sleuthy things, but I was able to discern means/motivation for at least part of one potentially-unrelated subplot earlier than Connor did, and I did guess at who-really-dunnit for mostly the correct backstory reasons, but I wasn't sure if and how they could fit together in the end, which was something the author actually related quite well, even if the actual epilogue following the revelation seemed a bit pat.

Medium-high recommend. A bit overdramatically thriller-ish at points, and maybe a little fetishizing as regarding a particular personal attraction, but overall good character portrayals of complicated all-is-not-what-it-seems relationships and class/ethnicity tensions within the Miami community, a nicely laid out mystery plot which makes sense, as well as interesting depictions of how the criminal court/justice system seems to work in Florida.

Apparently this particular title was an Edgar Award nominee, and though it's got a few flaws, seems a rather promising start to the series, which, as I have mentioned, is available DRM-free via Fictionwise and will cost you ~ $3 with a good weekend discount coupon. (Don't read the blurb for #8, Suspicion of Rage, unless you want to be spoilered for a particular relationship outcome.)
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:26 AM   #13028
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
F&SF May/June 2012 by Spilogale authors.
It was OK. The main story is set in the shadow thieves world, which isn't a fantasy world I particularly enjoy (it all seems rather arbitrary, with new rules and magic making plots hard to guess). But I didn't dislike any of the stories, and most of them I quite liked. The horror-ish short was disappointing, but I really don't like horror stories.

Next: F&SF March/April 2012 by Spilogale authors.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #13029
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
At the moment I'm reading The Big Sleep, by Raymond Chandler. It's good, but I think a little bit overrated.
Joshua.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #13030
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I recently finished Speed Dating with the Dead by Scott Nicholson. It was fun, but I think Nicholson creates a ride rather than a story in this one.

I also just finished The Final Solution by Michael Chabon. I've never read a Sherlock Holmes before so I don't know whether this was a good or bad portrayal of the famous sleuth. However, I really enjoyed a take on a Holmes that had retired and grown old. It's a very short story (about 130 pages), and I think it's been written to give us a peak at the legend in his later years.

I'm now just reading a few short stories and will be starting Kraken by China Mieville. Although he's my favourite author, I tend to practice the fine art of delayed gratification with his books.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #13031
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just finished the latest in Michelle Sagara's Chronicles of Elantra series, Cast in Ruin. This is the 7th(?) in the series, and a worthy addition to it. It gets a bit involved in places, as she tends to, but it's still a very good read and quite enjoyable. IF you've read previous books in the series. It really isn't a good candidate for standalone, IMO.

In this book, Kaylin makes a new friend, is schooled in etiquette by a dragon(!), instructs an avatar, and spends the usual amount of time in the fiefs, primarily in Tiamiris' fief, fighting the Shadow. Only a single desk is destroyed by the Hawk's sargent, but an awful lot of dragon flaming and roaring happens. All in all, a good book and recommended.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #13032
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
@caleb72 I strongly recommend you also read the original Holmes canon. They're really great books. Maybe you could start with the short story collection The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes to see if you like it.
Joshua.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #13033
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
About two thirds of the way through the first Repairman Jack novel (The Tomb). Thoroughly enjoying it; at this rate I'm going to end up buying the other dozen or so
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #13034
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
I just finished The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie (Outstanding! Four thumbs and an unevolved prehensile tail Up!) and m now reading The Secret Adversary by the same author. (The first Tommy/Tuppence story).
Quote:
Young Tuppence Cowley bumps into old friend Tommy Beresford at Dover Street tube station. It’s just after WW1 and jobs are very thin on the ground so Tuppence comes up with a plan to form 'Young Adventurers Ltd' - "Willing to do anything. Go anywhere... No unreasonable offer refused."
(— Quote from www.agathachristie.com)
IMHO, this seems more what I would expect from a freshman effort than "Styles," by which I mean it is enjoyable, but the characters plot and storyline seem less well developed. I suspect "Adversary" was written before "Styles", but published later because of the success of the latter.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #13035
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa1956 View Post
I just finished The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie (Outstanding! Four thumbs and an unevolved prehensile tail Up!) and m now reading The Secret Adversary by the same author. (The first Tommy/Tuppence story).
(— Quote from www.agathachristie.com)
IMHO, this seems more what I would expect from a freshman effort than "Styles," by which I mean it is enjoyable, but the characters plot and storyline seem less well developed. I suspect "Adversary" was written before "Styles", but published later because of the success of the latter.
Those are her first two novels. I don't think Adversary was written first, but I think it was written more quickly.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote