Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2007, 09:26 AM   #16
jsutton02
jsutton02 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
I've had this problem too!

What I had to do to get the prs working again was to do the reset button on the back..

As for the Docudesk software for Mac, this does not work with the new firmware.

Looks like you are stuck using a Windows computer and the Connect software.

As for libprs500 I have not had much luck with that either.

Jim
jsutton02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #17
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Have you tried charging your reader fully? Mine wont detect my reader if its got a low battery.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:16 PM   #18
maxvoltar
SR-Noob
maxvoltar began at the beginning.

Ok, I did a hard reset and tried all the above mentioned software. Same problem...

Tried using another cable, same result. The PRS charges, but does not get detected by the software...

I'll do another attempt tomorrow with Windows XP.

For now, SD will be a temporary solution.

I'll keep you up to date!
maxvoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:51 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you fully uninstall docudesk and then install libprs500? Libprs500 should work fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:15 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
what does typing typing the following and pressing enter in a terminal give you?
Code:
prs500 info
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:23 AM   #21
maxvoltar
SR-Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you fully uninstall docudesk and then install libprs500? Libprs500 should work fine.
Yes I did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
what does typing typing the following and pressing enter in a terminal give you?
Code:
prs500 info
Code:
MaxMac:~ tim$ prs500 info
Unable to find SONY Reader. Is it connected?
Old 07-26-2007, 11:20 AM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That means the reader is not being detected by the USB subsystem on your mac. That would explain why none of the connection software works. Unfortunately, I don't know much about macs, so I can't help you with debugging the USB subsystem.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:22 PM   #23
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I also get the "Unable to find SONY Reader. Is it connected?" message on WinXP. I am running version 0.3.74.

CONNECT software runs fine. There were no reported errors on the install of 0.3.74.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I also get the "Unable to find SONY Reader. Is it connected?" message on WinXP. I am running version 0.3.74.

CONNECT software runs fine. There were no reported errors on the install of 0.3.74.
That's because you have two different USB drivers. One for Connect and one for Libprs500. And the one for Libprs500 is not the one that's in use when the Sony is connected. After a while of installing multiple versions of libprs500, I ended up with a bunch of USB drivers installed that caused my reader not to be detected at all on my computer. I had to uninstall like 5 or 6 drivers to get Connect to work. Now I just uninstall the libprs500 USB driver after I install it.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #25
Snassek
Connoisseur
Snassek is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony eReader
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there an issue with certain USB ports not working with the reader when connected to a MAC? Or was that with the previous firmware?
Snassek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

On windows, because of it's inferior architecture, you cant have more than one set of USB drivers for a single device working at one time. Thus if you have connect working, libprs500 wont work and vice versa.

@jswolf: Newer versions of libprs500 automatically uninstall the drivers when it is being uninstalled, so as long as you uninstall each time before installing an upgrade you wont get a buildup of drivers.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:33 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
On windows, because of it's inferior architecture, you cant have more than one set of USB drivers for a single device working at one time. Thus if you have connect working, libprs500 wont work and vice versa.

@jswolf: Newer versions of libprs500 automatically uninstall the drivers when it is being uninstalled, so as long as you uninstall each time before installing an upgrade you wont get a buildup of drivers.
All I do is just install the new one and not bother to uninstall the old one. It's easier to remove the USB driver each time.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:34 PM   #28
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah at some point I have to fix the installer to overwrite the drivers rather than creating a new copy. Unfortunately, installing drivers on windows is in a sane fashion is well nigh impossible.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #29
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Therefore the fix for me will be simple, install libprs500 on another machine.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #30
maxvoltar
SR-Noob

I'm hearing y'all! Downloaded libprs500 for windows and will try it later tonight on Paralells!