Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #16
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Thats a bit annoying, I was just looking at buying a Kindle to take advantage of 'slightly' cheaper books.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:57 PM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Thats a bit annoying, I was just looking at buying a Kindle to take advantage of 'slightly' cheaper books.
Since the publishers set prices I am sure the prices will go up every where. The prices don't always say the same in the Kindle store. So, new releases and best sellers are 9.99. But, they won't stay new release or best seller for ever.

Back catalog prices in the Kindle store are still usually better than other ebook stores.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:06 AM   #18
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
For works still under copyright, they typically are cheaper. For Public Domain and Creative Commons licensed works, they usually carry editions created by publishers and the publishers charge money for them. Many of these works are available free at places like Project Gutenberg and people volunteer their time to format them and convert them. If all you want to read is free classics and the occasional Creative Commons work, then I would pick a reader based on features rather than bookstores. If you, like me, read mostly modern works still under copyright, then it's good to look around at the various stores and see who caries the types of books you like and what they charge.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #19
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I received this today

From Amazon, telling me about a new book available. I just had to laugh. Yes, I know, the price will go down, but seriously, how many people do they think will jump at this pre-order price?

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

As someone who has purchased or rated books by Stephen King, you might like to know that He Is Legend: An Anthology Celebrating Richard Matheson will be released on February 7, 2009. You can pre-order yours by following the link below.

He Is Legend: An Anthology Celebrating Richard Matheson
Stephen King
Price: $60.00

Release Date: February 7, 2009

Product Description
A TRIBUTE TO ACCLAIMED AUTHOR RICHARD MATHESON, THESE ARE ORIGINAL STORIES BASED ON PLOTS AND CHARACTERS OF RICHARD MATHESON. THE BOOK CONTAINS THE FIRST COLLABORATION BETWEEN FATHER AND SON STEPHEN KING AND JOE HILL ENTITLED "THROTTLE" AND BASED ON MATHESON'S "DUEL."

desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:28 AM   #20
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
isn't there some sort of tradition of selling stephen king books at exorbitant prices ? i really have to wonder if anyone buys them at those prices.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #21
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
From Amazon, telling me about a new book available. I just had to laugh. Yes, I know, the price will go down, but seriously, how many people do they think will jump at this pre-order price?

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

As someone who has purchased or rated books by Stephen King, you might like to know that He Is Legend: An Anthology Celebrating Richard Matheson will be released on February 7, 2009. You can pre-order yours by following the link below.

He Is Legend: An Anthology Celebrating Richard Matheson
Stephen King
Price: $60.00

Release Date: February 7, 2009

Product Description
A TRIBUTE TO ACCLAIMED AUTHOR RICHARD MATHESON, THESE ARE ORIGINAL STORIES BASED ON PLOTS AND CHARACTERS OF RICHARD MATHESON. THE BOOK CONTAINS THE FIRST COLLABORATION BETWEEN FATHER AND SON STEPHEN KING AND JOE HILL ENTITLED "THROTTLE" AND BASED ON MATHESON'S "DUEL."

Wow, $60? Ridiculous.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote