Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
McTwain
McTwain began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch (July 13, 2012)
Target selling Kobo Touch for $49.98 IN STORE

I live in Cleveland, Ohio and I have been thinking of buying a Kobo Touch for months, but kept putting it off because of Kobo's poor customer service (I experienced it first hand via email) and indecision concerning two of the competing e-readers. I finally decided it would be best to buy a Nook Glow-light and went to Target today to see one first hand. They didn't have one on the demo table so I began walking away to go to Best Buy when I stopped at an end cap and noticed Target had placed two Amazon Kindles (keyboard and touch) on clearance along with the Kobo Touch. Kobo's new price? $49.98.

I asked a store employee about the price and she said it had just been marked down from the red tag price of $99.00. She said Target was no longer going to stock the Kobo Touch.

$49.98 vs $138.00 for my first e-reader.

I am now the proud owner of a Kobo Touch. Customer service be damned.
McTwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Congrats!

How much were the kindles?
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
In case anyone cares, Target store told me, it is ad-supported version (original listed for $99, now listed for $79.)
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
McTwain
McTwain began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch (July 13, 2012)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
Congrats!

How much were the kindles?
The Kindle Touch is on clearance for $84.15. They had the other Kindle (white with keyboard on the bottom) but they were all gone when I returned and the clearance price had been marked on the product box, not the cabinet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
In case anyone cares, Target store told me, it is ad-supported version (original listed for $99, now listed for $79.)
You're right. The Kobo being sold is the ad version. I didn't know it until I went home and registered it. You would think there would have been something on the box saying as much, but apparently not.

I was concerned the ad's would be like the ad's I used to see everyday on the internet - scrolling, flashing, pop-up/under, irritating things that would make me wish for Ad Block for e-readers. But they aren't. The only time I see an ad is when I either put the Touch in sleep mode or turn it off. And it's a static (non-moving) ad. So I only get an ad when I'm not using the device.

About a year ago the Cleveland Public Library announced it was going to moved all the computers used for accessing the internet to one location instead of having them throughout the building. So the DVD's were moved out of the lower level (e.g. basement) to the first floor and all the computers (excepting ones used just for catalog searching) were moved to the basement and renamed "TechCentral." I never bothered going to the lower level anymore because I never needed to access the internet while in the library. What a mistake. I went down to use the underground tunnel connecting both buildings instead of going outside to face the heat and discovered that the lower level had been turned into something that Steve Jobs would have been proud of. It was beautiful! I walked though the doors to take a better look around and found out that I could now CHECK OUT FOR FREE (for one week) any of the following tablets on display in the room:

iPad 3
Kindle Fire
Kindle Touch
Nook Color
Nook Tablet
Samsung Galaxy Tablet

I looked at the tablets, looked at my newly bought Kobo Touch and thought, "Darn, live and learn."

Having said that, I spent some time playing with the Nook Color (the library also has a demo model of each which stays in the room). I intend to go to the library later this week and check out either of the Nooks. I want to see if reading on the LCD screen really does tire the eyes. If not, I might return the Touch and buy the Nook.
McTwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTwain View Post
I looked at the tablets, looked at my newly bought Kobo Touch and thought, "Darn, live and learn."

Having said that, I spent some time playing with the Nook Color (the library also has a demo model of each which stays in the room). I intend to go to the library later this week and check out either of the Nooks. I want to see if reading on the LCD screen really does tire the eyes. If not, I might return the Touch and buy the Nook.
Nothing wrong with having both. I have a Kindle 4 (for reading) and an HP TouchPad (for everything else). Planning to get a 7" tablet soon.

I don't like reading on LCD devices because:
  • LCDs bother my eyes for extended reading
  • poor battery life compared to eInk devices
  • tablets are too heavy
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
tylermckellar
tylermckellar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Target at University Heights has a ton of Kindle Fires on clearance for $170 I think. Found my Kobo wifi there for $50 (still one left). Mentor and Mayfield Targets each have one. I did a good bit of calling around today after finding one for my wife last night for $35. Target marks down electronics on Monday so wait a few days and the rest might hit $35 too.
tylermckellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
I am officially jealous. I've been scouring Targets in Des Moines for specific toys and legos (My husband and I are the world's biggest 12-year-olds) and I keep looking in their electronic section. I really want the plain wifi model. I had a Nook STR, and it was harder to read in low light than my EZ Reader with the older Vizplix screen. (My EZ Reader's battery is dying...)
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote