Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-03-2012, 06:05 AM   #1
Mikeloftus
Mikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony Prs T1
Dresden Files.

Hi All,

Looking to read something a little bit different and stumbled across the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. They seem to receive favorable reviews and I was wondering if anyone here can recommend them or otherwise? I am unsure if they are available in EPUB format within the UK?

Thanks,

Mike
Mikeloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
I have only read the first one so far, and it is very good, not sure about ePub but Amazon have them in the UK

Have a look here for more information on the series (large thread on it)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150124

EDIT:Checked the kobo store and they have them in ePub format

Last edited by paulsalter; 02-03-2012 at 06:33 AM.
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Hi,

There is a subforum called Reading Recommendations that would be a better place for this question. I would suggest going to his website: http://www.jim-butcher.com/ if you have questions. He has there samples of the books (the first few chapters of each book) so you can see for yourself if you like them. The books are great but you should know that it's a long series and there is still a long way to go.

Welcome to MR!
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
They're good Urban Fantasy though should be read in order or you'll get a lot of spoilers.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
Larken
Where's the backlight??
Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and Kobo Glo HD
My wife and I found ourselves sitting in traffic on a snowy day at a stoplight. In the rearview mirror, I noticed a behemoth of a car fishtailing behind me in a struggle to control his forward momentum. Alas... it was not to be. The monstrosity of a car slammed into the back of our minivan. Annoyed, I emerged from our vehicle and approached my assailant. As we waited for law enforcement to arrive, the scrubby individual who had battered my van raved maniacally about someone named Jim Butcher and his Dresden Files books. It seems to have made an impression on me because I have read every Dresden Files book written as well as the short stories on www.jim-butcher.com and his Alera series as well. They are all great. I would warn not to judge the Dresden Files series by the first book. It isn't bad, but the writing, character development and story only get better as the series progresses.

Last edited by Larken; 02-03-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Larken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Mikeloftus
Mikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notesMikeloftus can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony Prs T1
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I will check them out and will definitely read them in order! I see what you mean it is a bit of an investment over the series but hopefully I will like them and get in to it!

I knew this E-reading malarky was going to be expensive!

Mike
Mikeloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larken View Post
My wife and I found ourselves sitting in traffic on a snowy day at a stoplight. In the rearview mirror, I noticed a behemoth of a car fishtailing behind me in a struggle to control his forward momentum. Alas... it was not to be. The monstrosity of a car slammed into the back of our minivan. Annoyed, I emerged from our vehicle and approached my assailant. As we waited for law enforcement to arrive, the scrubby individual who had battered my van raved maniacally about someone named Jim Butcher and his Dresden Files books. It seems to have made an impression on me because I have read every Dresden Files book written as well as the short stories on www.jim-butcher.com and his Alera series as well. They are all great. I would warn not to judge the Dresden Files series by the first book. It isn't bad, but the writing, character development and story only get better as the series progresses.
I thought you were going to say you were rear ended by Jim Butcher.
And yes they are very good and well worth reading.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I've read all of the Dresden Files books, and also have the TV show on DVD. You can say I'm a bit of a fan.

Now, I do have to say, I really got kind of mad with the ending of the second to the last book, but the latest current one kind of put all back in place. Despite how long the series has gone on, he's done some things to keep it fresh and exciting.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
Larken said "the writing, character development and story only get better as the series progresses" and I agree entirely. Before the short-lived TV series I got interested in finding the books, but none were available in used book stores (which told me people were keeping them) (and this was before ebook popularity). In the library I found Drum Beat, which I think is about #7 in the series. It was great! Clever writing, engrossing story. So I bought all the books available at the time, in PBack form. The first few... eh... but okay, keep going. Butcher's writing abilities improve with each installment, and the stories are quite long and detailed. One gets one's money's worth with his stories. I haven't tried the Alera series, it's not quite my "thing".
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeloftus View Post
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I will check them out and will definitely read them in order! I see what you mean it is a bit of an investment over the series but hopefully I will like them and get in to it!

It's not just the money, because the books are definitely worth them, but it's the time it will take for the series to be finished. He wrote around 1 book per year, and in the FAQ it said that the series is expected to have 23ish books. That means that we can expect them to go on for another 10 years.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
The Dresden Files books are great. I agree with the others about the books getting better as they go along but this is more to the progression of the books into a true series where they begin to flow easily into each other as an "epic" story line from what seems to be a couple of stand alone novels.

The first two books are more self contained and although very good on their own tend to feel more repetitive with just different "bad guys". The third book kicks in with the better character progression and the greater story arc.

I have read all of the books (dead tree and digital mix) and am currently working through the audio books on my drive to and from work each day.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Backing up what everyone else said. It's a great series, but starts out a little weak. I've read and listened to the series and the audio books are great too.

He has a collection of short stories that should be read after the next to the last book or it will spoil the series.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #13
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeloftus View Post

Mike
If you have access to a good library they need not be expensive! Our library has the first 6 books in 2 ebook collections of 3 each. Of course, you'll have to read fast or check them out twice!

Edit: You'll find all kinds of fun information and conversation in the "other" Dresden Files thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150124, as Paulsalter pointed out earlier.

Last edited by Filark; 02-04-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #14
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
If you have access to a good library they need not be expensive! Our library has the first 6 books in 2 ebook collections of 3 each. Of course, you'll have to read fast or check them out twice!
The Singapore library has books 1-6 and books 7-12 as two omnibus editions. IIRC, they also have all the individual books.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #15
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
The Singapore library has books 1-6 and books 7-12 as two omnibus editions. IIRC, they also have all the individual books.
Oops! I was wrong about collections of 3 -- it is collections of 6 novels each -- amazing!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote