Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Free New Title Ebooks from BeWrite Books

Hello there, folks:

I joined the forums here only a few days ago (with a PRS 505 hiccup) ... and, wow, have I learned a lot from this generous community.

So here's a wee something in return for your help and friendship (with informal permission and advice from a long-standing member): I hold down the editorial side of a small indie publishing house (minimum of twelve titles a year for the past eight years) and all our books are covered by ebook versions.

They go at regular prices on the major online retail sites, bargain basement snips on our own, but I'd be more than happy to send anyone here any title or titles that might catch their eye free of charge.

Being Europe based and with no US office, our books can't be read on Kindle (it's a long story), but they are perfect for any other ebook-dedicated reader or for reading on a PC, laptop, netbook, iPod etc.

Just drop me a line with any title/titles you want to ntmarrATbewrite.net (use the @ sign, of course), and I'll send them as email attachments.

The bookshop's on www.bewrite.net.

A few lines of review in return will be rewarded by wide grins and grateful smiles by us and our authors (unless the reviews are bad, of course -- then we go back to bed), but don't feel obliged. We'd just like you to take a look.

I'm looking forward to daily visits here, getting to know you chaps (and chappettes) ... and finding out more about what you want (especially editorially) from digital versions of novels.

Very best. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Welcome and congrats for your efforts.
As I did not find any mention, I guess the digital version of your books is pdf, right?
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hi! I just emailed you with my list of 3 books. (Didn't want to appear greedy by asking for them all!) Thanks very much for the offer. And like Kostas, I hope they are not PDF's.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, PDF, Kostas. We have other formats in the pipeline and the necessary software in place, but simple PDF seems to have worked OK so far (unless zoomed, formatting is faithful to paperback, though we change font to easy-read -- covers, of course, are presented only in b/w). Any suggestions yourself? Thanks for the note. Hoots. Neil
Old 08-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr

Hey Dixie -- just about to dip into my email. Thanks for the interest. Books with you within thirty mins. Cheers. Neil
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Yep, PDF, Kostas. We have other formats in the pipeline and the necessary software in place, but simple PDF seems to have worked OK so far (unless zoomed, formatting is faithful to paperback, though we change font to easy-read -- covers, of course, are presented only in b/w). Any suggestions yourself? Thanks for the note. Hoots. Neil
Thanks a lot Neil.
Will certainly have a look at your bookshop.
Meanwhile, I just want to mention that most (not all) ebook readers do think that pdf format is great for computers but not adequate for handheld devices.
So, if you want to attract readers from the growing community of mobile readers you may want to consider to offer ebooks in other formats (epub, mobi,...).
Even simpler formats like rtf or html would be preferable as -unlike pdf- they can be easily converted to any other format using tools available in this forum, like Calibre.
Once converted to the adequate format, they could be read on any mobile device, even on a kindle.
Thanks again.

Last edited by Kostas; 08-27-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr

Thanks, Kostas. I'm afraid I'm a humble editorial hack, so a lot of the technical stuff goes over my head (hence my desperation with a simple 505). I leave the serious stuff to our admirably capable (when they get out of bed) technotops. I'll direct Sandy and Toni to your post, though. I do know there's much in the offing here when it comes to formats. Meantime, though, the thoroughly worked PDF has attracted no complaints. Pick something and try it. Thanks again. Neil
Old 08-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi neil, welcome to mobileread ! thank you for your very generous offer, i'll take a look and maybe send you a little mail later (although, to be honest, i'm not really a fan of pdf but a free book is always nice !).

just a question though, i see you are located in france, although from your name i guess you are not french, any plans to publish french books as well ? that would be brilliant, as there is really not much digital content available still in french. and we've got a french forum as well here, if you'd like to drop by.

as for formats, i agree with what has been said so far, it would be brilliant to make your books available at least in epub and mobi ; that should cover the majority of devices available, and if they are drm-free they can easily be converted if necessary. personally i only buy epub now if i can help it, and practically all european publishers are standardising on that format.

please do tell your technotops they are welcome to take a look here to learn about the formats, how to make them, etc. and ask any and all questions they might have.

meanwhile, it's great to see you joining in the discussion around here ! besides being incredibly knowledgeable you'll find people here are also really friendly.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr

Thanks, Zelda:

You know, maybe I'm wrong about the PDF-only thing. I downloaded our stuff into epub for my Sony and it worked a dream. The books come over in perfect presentation. I shouldn't really bandy 'technitials' around when I quite honestly don't know my three Rs from my elbow when it comes to the technical side. Why don't you pick something/s out and take a look.

Gosh, Zelda. I've been made to feel so welcome here -- even as a technical novice -- I hope I'll be able to contribute something in return for all the generous advice. It's a real pleasure to have stumbled across you all.

Best. Neil
Old 08-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Thanks, Zelda:

You know, maybe I'm wrong about the PDF-only thing. I downloaded our stuff into epub for my Sony and it worked a dream. The books come over in perfect presentation. I shouldn't really bandy 'technitials' around when I quite honestly don't know my three Rs from my elbow when it comes to the technical side. Why don't you pick something/s out and take a look.

Gosh, Zelda. I've been made to feel so welcome here -- even as a technical novice -- I hope I'll be able to contribute something in return for all the generous advice. It's a real pleasure to have stumbled across you all.

Best. Neil
don't worry about that neil, we were all novices once ! i'm sure pretty soon you'll know all the formats and technical stuff like your pocket. this forum is made for learning about this stuff and you'll find it seems overwhelming at first but you'll soon catch on, with the help and advice of our genius experts.

i'll definitely take a look at your catalogue a bit later. must get some work done now, alas. thank you again for your very kind offer !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #11
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Thanks, Zelda:

Best. Neil
Neil:

Here's my take on the PDF-only thing -- I'll pass on free PDFs, because they're not worth the hassle on my Sony reader(s). But, at the prices on your store-front I'd be quite willing to buy books in ePub, or LRF, or .lit, or really in any format Calibre can convert -- as long as there's no DRM.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr

From my side, Zelda, I never needed to know anything about the technical stuff or the admin side or promotion or what have you of BeWrite Books -- I was purely editorial and with my own wee pro editing team (all with eye-shade-and-quill mentality, I think). Problem is that, after many years, our full-time technical and admin lass has left us for pastures new and -- until I find her replacement (and I may have this last week [wood enthusiastically touched]) -- I've got to throw myself in at the deep end and learn my ABC. I never realised before just how much of a spoiled brat I was, having only to think of how the words are strung together. Hoots. Neil
Old 08-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr

Hya Xenophon: Thanks for that. First thing I did with my Sony was to download all our ebooks (about 120). I'm no technical whiz and it was my first go with the 505, but it took no time at all to download the entire catalogue, and all books work absolutely fine (much better than those I've bought in from the Sony store itself and taken from ProjectGutenberg, etc). And, as I mentioned earlier, even though prices at our own site are rock bottom, I'm more than happy to send out any books free to my new pals here. I must confess, of course, that my interest is as much in reaction to literary value as to the technicalities ... but I guess we're here to discuss the latter, so please forgive my editorial bias. Very best. Neil
Old 08-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Neil,

Thank you for your kind offer. I have just emailed a request. I love reading series with the same characters and I saw you had several of those that looked really good. Thanks again.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #15
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Neil,

Thank you for your very generous offer of an ebook for members. I checked your site and found that the selection was a nice variety and have sent an email to you.

I hope to see you continue to participate in the various threads on MR. Ask questions when you need to and a friendly member will jump in and try to answer or direct you to a thread with more information.

Thank you again for your generous offer.

dreams
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote