Notices

Old 08-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
_justin_kelly
_justin_kelly began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Kobo Aura stuck on sleeping page - wont turn on even after days of charging

Hi All

My Kobo Aura is frozen at the sleeping page

I've tried recharging for days, different charges, different cables, reset button, everything - but the device does not respond to anything. The light does not come on when the light button is pressed - nothing.

Has anyone experienced this or have a fix for it??

Worst case - anyone in Australia have an old kobo aura they want to sell me

Cheers

Justin
_justin_kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Just to be clear, this is the original Kobo Aura with the micro SD card slot?

Mine has frozen a few times. Usually sliding the power button over and holding for a good long time seems to do the job for me. Failing that, the reset button. But I have had to hold it pressed in for longer than I would have ordinarily thought necessary.

Out of curiosity, what version of the firmware were you running and did you have many books on the micro SD card?

Perhaps taking the micro SD card out might help. Some people have been experiencing some trouble with the micro SD card and the latest firmware.

I'm currently running older firmware on mine and intend to keep it that way barring any significant improvements which might justify an upgrade which would necessitate reinstalling koreader, various dictionaries and various patches...
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2017, 09:30 PM   #3
_justin_kelly

thanks mark - yep is original aura with the micro sd slot - on the latest firmware

i havent added a sd card

i've tried long hold on the power slider and long press with paper clip in the reset button - but still no response from the device

can you remove/reinsert the actual battery of the aura? - i haven't opened the device yet - that the only other thing i can think of
Old 08-23-2017, 09:48 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by _justin_kelly View Post
thanks mark - yep is original aura with the micro sd slot - on the latest firmware

i havent added a sd card

i've tried long hold on the power slider and long press with paper clip in the reset button - but still no response from the device
Is anything happening when you do this? There should be an LED new the power switch that flashes when you turn it on.
Quote:
can you remove/reinsert the actual battery of the aura? - i haven't opened the device yet - that the only other thing i can think of
For all the other Kobo device I've opened, the battery is connected by a lead that can be disconnected.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:16 PM   #5
_justin_kelly

thanks david - no lights flash/turn-on when power slider is switched/or when reset button pressed

i'll try and open the case and disconnect the battery
Advert
Old 08-30-2017, 07:48 PM   #6
_justin_kelly

thanks for all the replies!

i've disconnected that battery and plugged it in again

long charged it etc.. all to no avail

looks like the kobo aura has a dead battery

now off to find either a kobo with a broken screen and take the battery or find a cheap replacement battery

Cheers

Jusitn
Old 08-30-2017, 10:56 PM   #7
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:

now off to find either a kobo with a broken screen and take the battery or find a cheap replacement battery
Sorry to hear that.

There should be some numbers and letters printed on the back of your battery which you can google to find a replacement. The batteries often come from China where many such devices are manufactured. I was able to find a very cheap replacement battery for a very cheap tablet on ebay. Others have had success on aliexpress.

Took my battery a while to arrive, but arrive it did, and the tablet is still functioning.

Best of luck.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:07 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
i've disconnected that battery and plugged it in again

long charged it etc.. all to no avail

looks like the kobo aura has a dead battery

Even with a dead battery, the device should start when plugged into power. I have an old Touch with a dead battery which runs OK when plugged in. Unplug the charge and it stops, plug it in and it restarts in a few moments. The other devices might be different, but I wouldn't expect so.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:28 AM   #9
_justin_kelly

thanks mark and david

re 'dead battery but still works when plugged in'
- thanks daivd - my kobo doesnt response at all even when plugged in so may be more than a bettery issue

will start the hunt for a cheap 2nd hand kobo

if anyone is Australia has an old kobo aura (or similar) they are looking to sell PM me

cheers

justin