Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 08-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
And what do you do with listings that crossover Science Fiction and Fantasy. List it twice?
And then get scolded by the mods for double posting.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #17
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamborine View Post
I'd love an audiobook subforum, too!

And while everybody's in gripe mode, just want to sneak my pet peeve in - "Free and Bargain Non-Fiction" should be renamed "Free and Bargain Military & War"!
Would that not then exclude the rest of the non-fiction world? biography, cookbooks, non-military history, self-help, sciences, etc?
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2014, 10:41 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Would that not then exclude the rest of the non-fiction world? biography, cookbooks, non-military history, self-help, sciences, etc?
Pretty sure it was a dig at how many military history type books get posted in that thread. Of course there's nothing stopping other types of non-fiction (there is/was a separate cookbooks thread) from being posted. I personally have no real interest in say self-help books so I'm unlikely to run across deals for them and post them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Murg I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here ....
I read it as asking why a new thread needs to be started every month instead of just having a continuing thread like say the Kobo discounts thread.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 08-24-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:58 PM   #19
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Pretty sure it was a dig at how many military history type books get posted in that thread. Of course there's nothing stopping other types of non-fiction (there is/was a separate cookbooks thread) from being posted. I personally have no real interest in say self-help books so I'm unlikely to run across deals for them and post them.

I read it as asking why a new thread needs to be started every month instead of just having a continuing thread like say the Kobo discounts thread.
Yes, thanks AnemicOak, I've re-read it and worked the cobwebs out of my brain and agree with your assessment. :
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:24 PM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
I agree with the changes to the location of the monthly threads, that is that they be placed into the Sticky area for the duration of the month that is discussed.

I suspect that some others need to be included such as Audiobooks (if it doesn't get it's own sub-forum as some are suggesting).

The reason I agree with the move to the Stickies area is because I don't like trying to wade through all the individual titles being posted as threads when they could quite readily be posted into the monthly genre threads.

ATDrake's single book posting barrage is a prime example ....

If everyone decided that the book they found at a cheap or free price was to be given it's own thread then sifting through the stuff that doesn't interest one to find any that do would be a tedium.
Well, if almost every genre gets a sticky, and single-book postings are discouraged, since they should find a home in one of those stickies, what's left for the nonsticky area? Audiobooks and affiliate-link threads and that's about it. So what's the point of all these extra stickies?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2014, 11:58 PM   #21
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Well, if almost every genre gets a sticky, and single-book postings are discouraged, since they should find a home in one of those stickies, what's left for the nonsticky area? Audiobooks and affiliate-link threads and that's about it. So what's the point of all these extra stickies?
@catlady I think the purpose of adding the monthly threads to the stickies is because of the deluge of single item threads that is currently happening. (But heaven forbid I'm not trying to work out Dr Drib's motives )

At least putting the most regularly viewed/updated threads in the stickies makes them quick and easy to find.

I don't currently see evidence of single book threads being discouraged. I make no bones about the fact that I would prefer books to go into the appropriate monthly thread, and obviously be a single thread if there is no clear thread for it.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 08-25-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:20 AM   #22
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@catlady I think the purpose of adding the monthly threads to the stickies is because of the deluge of single item threads that is currently happening. (But heaven forbid I'm not trying to work out Dr Drib's motives )

At least putting the most regularly viewed/updated threads in the stickies makes them quick and easy to find.

I don't currently see evidence of single book threads being discouraged. I make no bones about the fact that I would prefer books to go into the appropriate monthly thread, and obviously be a single thread if there is no clear thread for it.
I don't see any point to all the stickiness, unless it was just to exclude some of the unworthy (e.g., the audiobooks deals).

These genre deal threads are generally busy and prominent anyway--how does it help for to be stickies? I think the change is pretty silly, but if every other category under the sun gets to be a sticky, audiobooks should be a sticky too.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:35 AM   #23
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
These genre deal threads are generally busy and prominent anyway--how does it help for to be stickies? I think the change is pretty silly, but if every other category under the sun gets to be a sticky, audiobooks should be a sticky too.
It was becoming quite annoying to find the genre threads among all the individual deal posts. While the stickies may not be the perfect solution, it's better than things were before and I was quite happy to see it happen. This is the mods trying to keep both sets of people happy, those who like wading through bunches of individual threads to find what they want, and those who prefer to stick to the genre threads. (And the number of threads has greatly increased, I had to go down four pages to find July's threads, but only two more to find June's. This is nearly all due to ATDrake's threads, if others follow his lead, it'll turn into chaos fast.)

It's brand new, so it's unlikely to be perfect yet. (I also pointed out the comics thread to Dr. Drib since it's getting regular updates since a new member joined in July and started posting deals in it regularly.) I'm sure they'll sort out some of the other popular threads as well. Right now it looks like they started with the ones that already had Free/Bargain or Free & Bargain in their titles. Audiobooks is just "Current Audiobook Specials" so you can see how they might have missed it, and the comics thread is just "Comics".
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:10 AM   #24
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I don't see how "Current Audiobook Specials" with almost three thousand posts and nearly a quarter of a million page views could be overlooked by accident. I really don't.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:43 AM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I don't see any point to all the stickiness.
I guess in this case I don't either (although I can't really get myself bothered about it or anything) it just seems unnecessary. It's not like the genre threads were hard to find or the forum was overwhelmed by other posts. The genre threads are very active so can almost always be found on the first or sometimes second page of the forum. I guess I think of stickies as something for special threads that you need everyone to see, like rules or FAQ threads, making a large number of the daily active threads kind of negates that, but what do I know.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 08-25-2014 at 01:48 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:49 AM   #26
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Please, please, separate out fantasy from science fiction. I hate fantasy, but love science fiction.
You hating something is not a logical reason or argument to separate the threads.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:50 AM   #27
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On topic, I personally like the stickies, now the threads are more visible when I visit this sub-forum as I don't subscribe to any of them and I don't access them from my user panel. Well done moderators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It's not like the genre threads were hard to find or the forum was overwhelmed by other posts.
I had trouble finding Sci-fi one regularly. Because sometimes it's inactive for a couple of days, and there was this one user that kept posting individual titles from different genres as separate threads. So it would get buried.

Last edited by Geralt; 08-25-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:58 AM   #28
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
I had trouble finding Sci-fi one regularly. Because sometimes it's inactive for a couple of days, and there was this one user that kept posting individual titles from different genres as separate threads. So it would be get buried.
Subscribe to it, and then go to your profile and access the thread from there. I've been doing that with the one genre thread I follow for a couple of years now, and the only reason I noticed it's a sticky is because someone posted about it in the thread in question.

The forum has tools that makes it very easy for us to monitor threads we are interested in. Why not use them and save ourselves the frustration you're describing?
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:20 AM   #29
Geralt
Witcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Subscribe to it, and then go to your profile and access the thread from there. I've been doing that with the one genre thread I follow for a couple of years now, and the only reason I noticed it's a sticky is because someone posted about it in the thread in question.

The forum has tools that makes it very easy for us to monitor threads we are interested in. Why not use them and save ourselves the frustration you're describing?
I know how to use the forum. I subscribe to very few threads because I like to keep my subscription manageable and with clear overview on one page. I see no reason to subscribe to a thread that's active only for one month. Having them as stickies is much more elegant solution.

It's not a frustration really, I would find them in a minute or two. I just think having them as sticky makes a forum more visible and clearly arranged. So I commend the moderation on it. On the other hand I don't get the turmoil that it causes for some people. Makes no sense. It's not like they will be the ones in charge of sticking, un-sticking of new threads every month.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #30
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This thread has been moved to the FEEDBACK FORUM.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote