Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #706
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I can't stand Droid Serif. It renders horribly on Android.

I didn't pay anything for Amasis. I got it from a old Nook Android App.
Funny I noticed Droid Serif on my big Kindle (DX) so I copied it to my PW and it looks totally different than on the DX. I don't like it at all on the PW. Looks different on my DX.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #707
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
It's so interesting that people want less line spacing. I like a fairly generous line space, even when I have selected a smaller font.
I also like generous line spacing, especially between the letters I don't want to touch another, they run together when you view on the largest size.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #708
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Is that the largest size 5? If so that is what I use and I agree the size under that is too small. Amazon needs to add another size under the largest size. Too big of a difference from one size to the next.
See post #700 in this thread for the link to a larger version of Charis SIL. It's the same weight but I've adjusted the metrics so it is larger. You still get more text on screen then Caecilia
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #709
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Funny I noticed Droid Serif on my big Kindle (DX) so I copied it to my PW and it looks totally different than on the DX. I don't like it at all on the PW. Looks different on my DX.
The Kindle DX is 1200 x 824 pixels at 9.7 inch, which makes 150 DPI.
The Kindle PW is 1024 x 758 pixels at 6 inch, which makes 212 DPI.

The pixels on the DX are bigger, so fonts that are the same size will look fatter on the DX, and thinner on the Paperwhite.

Look at a font that was made for older computer screens, such as Verdana. It was made to display well on screens such as 1024x768 at 15 and 17 inch, which comes down to 86 and 96 DPI. When you display it on the Paperwhite without fattening it up quite a bit, it looks spidery thin.

I use Verdana on a 1280x1024 at 19 inch LCD-monitor, which displays 79 DPI. This makes fonts quite fat indeed, which is good; for me. But now that there are newer fonts, and programs finally start to support upscaling (which was in Windows XP already...), I might look into a high-resolution monitor in the near future.

Last edited by Katsunami; 03-02-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #710
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
The Kindle DX is 1200 x 824 pixels at 9.7 inch, which makes 150 DPI.
The Kindle PW is 1024 x 758 pixels at 6 inch, which makes 212 DPI.

The pixels on the DX are bigger, so fonts that are the same size will look fatter on the DX, and thinner on the Paperwhite.

Look at a font that was made for older computer screens, such as Verdana. It was made to display well on screens such as 1024x768 at 15 and 17 inch, which comes down to 86 and 96 DPI. When you display it on the Paperwhite without fattening it up quite a bit, it looks spidery thin.

I use Verdana on a 1280x1024 at 19 inch LCD-monitor, which displays 79 DPI. This makes fonts quite fat indeed, which is good; for me. But now that there are newer fonts, and programs finally start to support upscaling (which was in Windows XP already...), I might look into a high-resolution monitor in the near future.
My desktop monitor is 19" (or is it 20") 4:3 1600x1200 resolution. Works very nicely for viewing fonts.
Advert
Old 03-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #711
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Can someone with a Kindle PW please try the new Charis SIL Modified Larger (with Mobi & KF8)? Thanks.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:38 AM   #712
freedumb2000
freedumb2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can someone with a Kindle PW please try the new Charis SIL Modified Larger (with Mobi & KF8)? Thanks.
Quite the difference in line spacing! Left is KF8 and on the right MOBI.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CharisSIL-ModifiedLarger - Size 3 - KF8.png
Views:	1084
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	102248Click image for larger version

Name:	CharisSIL-ModifiedLarger - Size 3 - Mobi.png
Views:	872
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	102249

Last edited by freedumb2000; 03-03-2013 at 06:08 AM.
freedumb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #713
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedumb2000 View Post
Quite the difference in line spacing! Left is KF8 and on the right MOBI.

Attachment 102248Attachment 102249
Thanks for that. Looks like I'll have to give it a fix for the PW. On the Touch, the line spacing is fine for KF8. But before I do, did you have the settings in AA set to the thinest line spacing for KF8? Please double check. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #714
freedumb2000

No, I just checked again and I had it set to medium. Do you want me to try it at a diff. spacing?
I also just compared it to your standard Charis Mod. and the line spacing is pretty much the same as for this enlarged version. The lines are just quite a bit more apart in the KF8.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #715
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedumb2000 View Post
No, I just checked again and I had it set to medium. Do you want me to try it at a diff. spacing?
I also just compared it to your standard Charis Mod. and the line spacing is pretty much the same as for this enlarged version. The lines are just quite a bit more apart in the KF8.
Yes. Please check again at the smallest line spacing in AA. A screen should would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #716
freedumb2000

Name:	CharisSIL-Modified - small line space - KF8.png
Views:	792
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	102309

Name:	CharisSIL-ModifiedLarger - small line space - KF8.png
Views:	519
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	102310
Old 03-05-2013, 05:07 AM   #717
lushgreenapple
lushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Georgia eink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I've been going through my font discs from back in my Web Designer days. It's so hard for me to find a serif font I like. I have too many Sans Serifs as you can see. I do now have a full set of Amasis which is nice. The Amasis I have been using now for over a year is mixed up of 3 font families. Amasis, Helvetica Neue and Chaparral Pro. It's also has been resized to be larger something I never would've caught before. Amasis MT is the perfect size once I added weight.

If I wasn't so worried about bricking my PW I would jailbreak it and install the hack for font sizes.
Georgia eink looks so cool in your Paperwhite. Can you share the link where I can download that font?
lushgreenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #718
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lushgreenapple View Post
Georgia eink looks so cool in your Paperwhite. Can you share the link where I can download that font?
Georgia eInk is actually defective. I have it and the font doesn't work properly. This is the Kindle version of Georgia that Blossom modified herself.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #719
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Georgia eInk is actually defective. I have it and the font doesn't work properly. This is the Kindle version of Georgia that Blossom modified herself.
I believe this font isn't sharable. It's own by Microsoft.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #720
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
*Every* computer since 1996 or so has it installed, as it is one of the core fonts for the web.

You can get it about everywhere (even in most Linux repositories), modify it, and share it; officially, it's not allowed, but basically it comes down to it that nobody seems to care (as long as you don't try to earn money with it).
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote